First Hotel Express Goteburg

Stora Badhurg 28 B, Gothenburg, Sweden

More about First Hotel Express Goteburg

"AVENYN"

by hevbell

A continuation of Ostra Hamngatan, Kungsportsavenyn, known simply as Avenyn, is one of the cities main streets and from what I could tell the most well known. Kind of a "Champs Elysee" of Goteburg. Its just a wide avenue lined with shops, bars etc with the more interesting Gotaplatsen at the top

Visit Goteburg in paddle

by PALLINA

A 50 minutes ride from Lilla Bommen is a pleasant thing to do in Gotembugh if you want to see the city from another point of view. All tours are in Swedish (or English or German) and goes to the canals. The visit of the harbour area was particulary interesting.

KONTSMUSEUM

by hevbell

This is the Goteburg Art Museum in Gotaplatsen which also contains the Hasselblad Centre [photography exhibits] and the Goteburg Art Hall next door which is free entry. Entry to the art museum is about 40 SEK if I remember correctly..

Its got a large collection including quite a lot of nordic artists which was interesting to see. I have to say I really liked the works of Carl Larsson although I don't remember many of the other names! Of course there are also works by the likes of Degas, Rembrandt, Picasso, George Braque and others. There is also a large sculpture hall on the 3rd floor.

GOTEBURG

by hevbell

My short trip to Goteburg, in March 2004, was all arranged a little last minute and I really had no idea what to expect from the city. Although I had been told to expect a lot of rain but I was pretty lucky on that score as it stayed dry the entire time and was even quite sunny at times!

The city itself was really nice, plenty to see and do and really easy to get around with the excellent tram service. I'd never been to Scandinavia before and this trip has left me keen to visit more of Sweden and the surrounding countries!

"ARCHIPELAGO"

I have to say that my favourite part of the whole trip was the short time I spent on one of the islands in the Southern Archipelago. It was a beautiful sunny March morning and it was just so relaxing compared to being in the centre of the city. Thats my "definite must-see" activity while visiting Goteburg!

Goteburg

by hevbell

A floating Chinese restaurant - much like one I saw in Amsterdam a few years ago - in the Lilla Bommen area

This big tower was next to the Universeum building and Liseberg but not sure what it was!

I think this building was the offices of the Horticultural Society or something like that. It was in Tradgardforeningen and I just thought it looked pretty!

Some lovely flowers in the Palm House. This was in the Camelias section but I don't actually know what kind of flower it is

A view across the Gota River from near Stigbergstorget, not far from where I was staying.

GoteburgGoteburg

goteburggoteburg

goteburggoteburg

GoteburgGoteburg

Goteburg

by dervis

I will be in goteburg on sunday for two days . Could you help me ? where shoul ý have couple of drinks ? Sen your best suggestion about Goteburg

Re: Goteburg

by Sjalen

See my Göteborg page for tips. It depends on what you like...if you want trendiness and disco, go to the famous "Avenyn" parade street with its bars and restaurants.

If you are more of an "intellectual" preferring long discussions instead of loud music, visit the bars along Linnégatan, where theatre people and artists go.

LIVINING IN GOTEBURG

by Bdurango

I'M GOING TO BE LIVING/WORKING IN GOTEBURG FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS, COULD SOMEONE TELL ME ABOUT APARTMENT PRICES, I'M LOOKING FOR A FURNISHED TWO BEDROOM APT, ANY TIPS FOR BRINGING A U.S. VEHICLE WOULD ALSO BE APPRECIATED. ARE THERE MANY LIVE JAZZ CLUBS THERE?

by Sjalen

Hm...will you work there? In that case, try to get the employer to help with apartment. Apart from that, see my reply a few weeks ago in the same forum where I gave links to someone else looking for housing.

As for jazz clubs, Nefertiti is the most popular one and one I miss :-)

For bringing a vehicle...maybe the tax authorities...? www.rsv.se should have info in English.

Re: Re: LIVINING IN GOTEBURG

by Bdurango

Thanks for the info, I hope my employer will assist me, i'm just trying to learn as much as possible, in case they don't. i'm in the process of trying to learn swedish, i know it may not be nessasary, but it would be nice to be fluent in multiple languages.

by Sjalen

Well...it will certainly help you to understand daily life if you speak Swedish (even if we are good at English here). Also, even if it is an English speaking work environment, things from personnel administration, staff newsletters etc. are often in Swedish.

May I be curious and ask where you will work? :-)

Re: Re: LIVINING IN GOTEBURG

GOTEBURG SEAPORT

by Sjalen

Interesting! The port is the sea freight hub of Scandinavia really :-)

Goteburg to Copenhagen

by Geoggirl

What is the quickest driving route from Goteburg to Copenahgen? What is the approximate driving time and what would be the one best stopping point for a unique and beautiful view? Thanks!

by cachaseiro

drive to malmoe and cross the bridge to copenhagen from there.
the most unique view would probaply be if you stopped just before you crossed the bridge.
it has a quite spectacular setting.

by Sjalen

Yes, the bridge has a nice setting but it's not the most spectacular point along the road from Göteborg. I would say stop on the Hallandsåsen ridge, somewhere near Båstad, one of the famouse tennis Open tournament places in Sweden. The town itself nestles down by the sea and the motorway passes up on the ridge behind it. At this point, you can also start to make out the Danish coastline on the other side of the strait.

by Geoggirl

If we were driving and going across the bridge to Copenhagen, how long would that take? Thanks!

by Sjalen

About 4 hours I think (I'm not a driver but of course I've gone by coach and train since I grew up in Göteborg and today live in Malmö and cross the bridge more or less every day).

by schillmi

If it were my choice, then I would go via Helsingborg.
Go south from Goteborg, to Helsingborg, then you will take the ferry from Helsingborg to Helsingor ( don't forget to shop duty free), once you are in Helsingor and if you have time you should stop at the Slottet (the castle) you will see it on your right from the ferry. then it is a short little trip ( 30-40) to Copenhagen. Driving time is exactly the same, but the Ferry takes about 20-30mins. The choice is up to you and the amount of time you have, but going via Helsingborg, I feel is the more scenic and enjoyable way.

by schillmi

Total driving time is roughly 3hours and 15minutes. In either case you will have some delays, wether it be the Ferry or the Bridge. Total travel time will be approximatly 4 hours

by Sjalen

Yes the ferries are still the most romantic way to me since that was THE way to continental Europe until way passed my teens so all my InterRail trips have started with the cling clong of trains boarding the ferries for that great adventure!

However, the duty free was abolished in the EU some years ago (apart from the Canaries and Åland islands which could keep it). But you can still buy a prawn sandwich and enjoy the view of Kronborg Castle indeed! :-)

Comments