Hotel Riverton

Stora Badhusgatan 26, (formerly Best Western), Gothenburg, Vastergotland, 411 21, Sweden
Official Site Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Göteborg

This is the building.The entry is behindThis is the building.The entry is behind

KronhusbodarnaKronhusbodarna

The Bark VikingThe Bark Viking

Tram, newer modelTram, newer model

From Gothenburg to Stockholm in October

by aziljr

Hi,

After looking at different options I'm feeling increasingly confused :( It seems that travelling by plane is cheaper than taking a train. Is this possible?

I would prefer a train so maybe I'm looking at a wrong site?

Or maybe a car is the best alternative as there will be 3 of us?

Day and time of travel: 6 October, afternoon prefered.

Ta.

by Splixa

it is very possible that train is more expensive than flight.

Above a link to the Swedish rail. Non rebookable tickets are about 500 sek.

Hav a nice trip.

by aziljr

Thank you ever so much for the site!

This is absolutely wonderful and quite cheap actually, by Australian standands.

by Sjalen

Yes planes are often cheaper than trains here since they are subsidised in a different way :( Still, when you say that you are 3, it could still work out cheaper by train if one is a child since children travel for free when accompanied by adults (up to 14). You also get automatic seat reservations on the faster X2000 departures so no need to worry about that kind of thing.

Friday and Sunday are the most expensive train days which is ridiculous since that's when families want to travel rather than business people (in Belgium where I once lived it's the other way around).

Gothenburg (where I grew up) to Stockholm (where I was born and have my summer house nearby) is a trip I've made many a time and it's quite scenic in places even if nothing like some of the trips you can make in the highlands.

Travel Tips for Göteborg

Goteborg by night

by HORSCHECK

Goteborg has very short dark nights in the summer, but as I visited Goteborg around Easter time I still had the chance to see the city illuminated. Especially the sights along the canals are well worth seeing in darkness.
Apart from that, the Scandinavian sky often offers a very nice atmosphere at dusk. So don't forget to bring your camera ....

Big shopping centres

by diocletianvs

One of the drawbacks of big shopping centres at the periphery of cities is that the shops in the old centre are declining.

This is not the case in Göteborg since the big part of the old centre is transformed into one big super-shopping centre. Several blocks are converted into shopping streets covered with glass, with air-conditioning and usual shops and services - from the local H&M stores to inevitable McDonald's and Burger King restaurants.
Although sometimes crowded, with all security installations and general feeling of shopping arcade these streets have nothing left of the european urban life.

www.nordstan.se

Not slander

by Marpessa

Just a little language tip:

In Goteborg I saw a word that I had also seen when I was in Stockholm. In english you would take offence at this word, but remember you are in Sweden and therefore words can have a different meaning in Swedish.

And the word is 'sl*t' (insert a vowel where the star is - I didn't think I should actually write it). The signs would say 'Sl*t Rea' which means, basically, 'end of sale' - and it would usually be in large letters across store-fronts. I had guessed the meaning, but asked my friend who I was with in Goteborg just to be sure :)

So english speakers, don't take offence, as it is not slander in swedish!

For Rainy days...

by Marpessa

This seems to be the same packing tip that I always write, but it makes sense. Dress in layers and take an umbrella with you! Göteborg is a very large city, you will be able to find any kind of clothes and weather gear that you need here.

Göteborgsvarvet

by Henrik_rrb

The last 28 years Göteborgsvarvet, a half marathon, has been ran in Gothenburg in May. In 2007 there were 40 000 runners who ran the 21,5 kilometers through the center of the city.

This is a huge event in the city, and people are standing in lines along the path to watch the people run by.

I saw it for the first time this year, and I must say that I'm impressed by the athletes. I would never, nowadays, run a race like this. 21,5 kilometers on asphalt would kill my knees and back for good, but it's impressive to see others do it.

The form is very different. Most of the persons in the beginning have been training all winter, and when I saw them pass by my appartment after seven kilometers, they looked fresh.

But others have trained quite less, and it wouldn't be a lie to say that they looked less fresh... ;)

The race starts and finish in Slottskogen, at Slottskogsvallen. From there the runners goes over Älvsborgsbron (one bridge), over to Hisingen island (where I live) and then back over at Götaälvbron (another bridge), passing Avenyn and a lot of other famous sights in the city.

This year me and some friends made a funny day about it. Took out some cold beers from the fridge, and sat down in the grass watching the athletes. Were quite many persons who looked envious at our beers I have to say... :D Running shoes, and really good ones!!

It costs 300 SEK to be in the race, but remember to apply early as they only have a certain amount of starting places. So decide early if you want to run or not, and then apply during the winter.

Comments