Gullbergskajen, Gothenburg, 411 04, Sweden

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• SapineKuu's Profile Photo

On The Waterfront

Unique Quality: Staying on a tall ship with river view is pretty novel. Not much in winter by way of facilities but pleasant reception area and restaurant.

Directions: On waterfront between opera house and Lipstick Building

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Stay on a boat!

In 1907 the ship Barken Viking did its maiden trip, going from Copenhagen to Hamburg. During the next 40 years it travelled through the world, all the way down to South America and Australia.

Now, exactly hundred years later it's a hotel in Gothenburg. The ship did its last trip in 1950, and was in 1951 bought by the city of Gothenburg to become a ship- and chef school.

The price was 315 000 SEK, about 35 000 euro. A little difference to the amount of money (60 millions euro) that they have paid for Götheborg, the east indian ship - and that's even only a copy... argh...).

Anyway, since 1957 it has staid put at Lilla Bommen, right in the city center, and since 1998 it has been used as a hotel and conference center.

It's a quite special feeling to stay there, as the corridor is very narrow (had problems to find my way out of the ship, although I was quite drunk...:) ). The cabin I stayed in was very small, and I can't really imagine how it must have been to spend 6 months on that ship in the 1930s, without seeing much of land.

Unique Quality: Just staying at a boat, despite not feeling much of the waves, is a very unique feeling. Definitely something I could do again.

The central location is a huge plus too of course, while the price (double room for 75 euro) was pretty good too.

The bigger cabins goes from 120 euro (weekends) up to 165 euro (work days).
    There are six commanding cabins, 41 normal cabins (skeppshytt) with two bunk beds above each other, and three cabins as single rooms.

Directions: Right down in the harbour, at the end of Avenyn, and just five minutes walk from the shopping center Nordstan.

• MickeH's Profile Photo

Ship of dreams

Unique Quality: Well as I said, it's a ship! And the view must be great, not to mention that is has a good restaurant and bar and that it is ancored just by the opera right in central Gouthenburg.

Directions: Lilla Bommen, near the Opera House

• Lemonita's Profile Photo

Barken Viking
    I haven't stayed...

Barken Viking
    I haven't stayed there but I thought it would be a nice idea to spend the night on a boat-hotel.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Classic sailing ship

Unique Quality: Wooden interior in maritime style. Great location and good river views!

Directions: Next to the Opera. At the river end of Östra Hamngatan.

More about Hotell Barken Viking

On The Waterfront

by SapineKuu about Barken Viking

The Barken Viking is said to be the largest sailing ship ever built in Scandinavia and one of only seven of her type remaining. Now owned by the Liseberg Group she was refitted in 2008 as a four star hotel. My cabin was furnished to a high standard with en-suite facilities and large flat screen TV. Breakfast was a reasonable self-service affair. The only minor downside was an err.... creaking bed from above and the bar service that appeared a bit chaotic. The upper deck was pretty much shut up for winter so if your tempted better opt for a summer stay. Staying on a tall ship with river view is pretty novel. Not much in winter by way of facilities but pleasant reception area and restaurant.

Classic sailing ship

by Sjalen about Barken Viking

As I used to live in Göteborg I haven't tried the hotels myself but I would find it fascinating to stay in the old sailing ship 'Viking' which is moored next to the Opera. It is run by the Liseberg Amusement Park people so it shouldn't be TOO expensive by Swedish standards and still properly run. There is a summer bar on its poop deck with great views. Wooden interior in maritime style. Great location and good river views!

Ship of dreams

by MickeH about Hotel Barken Viking

Never accually slept there myself, seeing that I live close enough to go home rather than pay for hotel, but I like the idéa of a floating hotel! Well as I said, it's a ship! And the view must be great, not to mention that is has a good restaurant and bar and that it is ancored just by the opera right in central Gouthenburg.

Stay on a boat!

by Henrik_rrb about Barken Viking

Had place for a small table though, and two beds, staying on top of each other. I've heard that there are bigger rooms too. There are the officer's cabin, which is much bigger, with two beds, shower and toilet. And the "normal cabin" which I described above. Toilet and shower is in the hall then. Just staying at a boat, despite not feeling much of the waves, is a very unique feeling. Definitely something I could do again.

The bigger cabins goes from 120 euro (weekends) up to 165 euro (work days).

Barken Viking is a hotel...

by Lemonita

Barken Viking is a hotel situated on a barque. I heard it's pretty common to have boat-hotels in Sweden but it's original for me. I wished I had stayed a night in one of those hotels.
If you go to see Barken Viking, walk along the harbour. It is very pleasant !!!

Goteborg to Copenhagen

by jjoemar

Hi I will be in Gothenburg for the Stones concert on Aug 3; I am staying at the Hotel Barken Viking. I am traveling to Copenhagen on Sat Aug 4th. I am looking for travel ideas. Thanks in advance

by cachaseiro

you have very cheap busses connecting copenhagen with gothenburg:

www.safflebussen.se

by Razmataac

... Or train. You can buy the ticket on-line on sj.se.

by jonkb

I'd take the train. My legs can't fit into those busses.

Jon

by Sjalen

There is not just the Säfflebussen (which has a so so safety record) but also Swebus: www.swebusexpress.se

But I too would take the train even if it costs more. Note that there are two alternatives - either the slow train along the coast which is less comfortable OR the high speed train to Malmö where you change to a regular commuter train for the last bit.

I hope you've got time for some Gothenburg sightseeing too :)

Comments