Hotel Les Arcades Geneva

Hotel Les Arcades
Booking.com Agoda.com CheapTickets.com

More about Geneva

Tour du Molard - July 2010Tour du Molard - July 2010

Cycling on a midsummer evening in GenevaCycling on a midsummer evening in Geneva

2. Genèveroule lending point on the lakeshore2. Genèveroule lending point on the lakeshore

2. View from the tower window2. View from the tower window

flying to Geneva for 3 ngts - want advise where is best to visit

by alitripletmum

In-laws looking after my 2yr old triplets to allow my husband and I a break. Would like to fly into Geneva and enjoy leisurely scenic walks. Really just want to relax and unwind without kids without too much hassle travelling. Can you recommend anywhere within an hour train journey we would enjoy staying in. And is it worthwhile staying in Geneva for first night. I am finding it hard to find time to review everything so would really appreciate your advise.

by MikeM2

I like Geneva, lots to see - Jet d'Eau and the Old City - stay a night or two

Google : 1) Annecy - 2) Thonon les Bains - see if these are of interest - we are planning a return visit to Annecy

Consider hiring a car - you can explore more readily

by HOH

Annecy is a good choice. I like smaller villages and towns. what time of year are you talking about. How about Mont Blanc and the area around Chamonix. I drove there before flying out of Geneva last Spring. Only about an hour to drive. I have been to this area a few times incredible views!

by sandgrounder

Another vote here for Annecy. The old town with it's lovely buildings and abundance of flowers all based around a small canal system. Then the lake and mountains with views that are out of this world.

To keep costs down we got an excellent deal at the Novotel Centre Atria. It is right next to the main train station. Nothing amazing in terms of views from the hotel but very convenient. Within 5 minutes you can walk into the heart of the old town and from there to the lake.

We actually hired a car and drove from Geneva as the public transport links to Annecy were not that easy. It was going to involve two trams, a train and then a bus. But this was 6 years ago so links may have improved by then. I am sure someone on here could enlighten you.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do wherever you decide to stay.

Travel Tips for Geneva

Geneva Tip

by rtschneider

We were in Geneva having dinner and there was a band to entertain. We were sitting above the band and my seat had a little window next to it so I could look out and down at the band. Well they started recruiting people to try to blow the alpine horn. Well they I was looking out the window and I was recruited real quick. They stuck the horn through my little window and I got to give it a try. I did Ok on the second try. Unfortunately my friends missed the photo op!

Swiss beers

by Paisleypaul

Even though a country since 1291, with its larger and more influential (now or historically) neighbours Germany Italy Austia and France, there are a lot or imported tastes, including the beer - Heineken and Kronenbourg , even Fosters are staples, as well as lots of German beers not familiar to me.

Feldschlosschen is a German company with Swiss brands and my favourite Swiss lager, Cardinal. I always make a point of seeking out the local brew.

Water sports

by vanessadb

The lake of Geneva offers you a wide array of water sports possibilities: sailing, waterskiing, diving, etc.

The water temperature tends to be cold even in the Summer though, as the lake is fed by the glaciers around... Many places on the lake rent sailing and motor boats, as well as all the other equipment you need, like waterskis for example. One of them, « Les Corsaires » is located on Quai Marchand des Eaux-Vives, which is also a navigation school.

Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986)

by Nemorino

From this plaque in the Old Town I learned that the Argentinean author Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986) used to live here in Geneva at 28 Grand'rue, just a few doors down from where Rousseau was born, but of course two centuries later.

"Of all the cities in the world, of all the homelands that a man seeks to earn, Geneva seems to me to be one of the most likely to bring happiness." -- Jorge Luis Borges in his book Atlas.

GPS 46°12'5.85" North; 6° 8'45.88" East

Festival des Cropettes, last...

by mari2marc

Festival des Cropettes, last week-end of June, starting on Thursday till Sunday.
A small free festival organized in a park by a jazz association.
THE place to meet the people you did not meet for 1 year.
If you don't like the music, you can still eat and drink lying in the grass.
An event not to be missed if you are in Geneva those days. Casual.

Comments