President Wilson

47 Quai Wilson, Geneva, Geneva, 1211, Switzerland

Hotel President Wilson
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Horrible customer service!

I had an issue with my booking. This was the second time I stayed at this hotel, and I'm a Starwood platinum member. When I tried to resolve the issue, I was literally told "stop wasting your time" by the reservation and spa manager. My recommendation: don't waste your money here! Go somewhere that appreciates your business and realizes they are in the hospitality industry.

More about President Wilson

Mildly disappointing.

by TripAdvisor Member CBinNY

I agree with the rest of the reviews posted here: The President Wilson isn't terrible, but if one is expecting a truly five-star hotel, one will be disappointed.

I apparently arrived on the one night they were updating their computer systems: Internet access didn't work in my room, so I called and was told that an engineer would arrive within the hour. After 90 minutes, no engineer was to be found, so I was told that I was "welcome" to come to the business centre and PURCHASE a wireless card for use in the hotel's public spaces -- not the right answer for a five-star hotel claiming to be business-friendly.

Nor was the soundproofing up to standard -- I could hear my neighbours coming & going throughout the evening.

That said, the room and bathroom were nice and spacious, with the amenities you'd expect from a Starwood luxury hotel. The gym was perfectly adequate.

In sum: Not terrible, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find better value for money -- even in Geneva.

Not bad if you can afford it

by TripAdvisor Member ATL_Mommy

We stayed at the President Wilson in late May. It is rather institutional-looking from the outside but has a quiet location a few blocks from the center of town. The rooms are clean but not overly large, comfortably decorated but not substantially different from most other four (not five) star international hotels. The bathroom was pretty, with beautiful marble and generous amounts of expensive toiletries. The lake view, with the mountains beyond, is beautiful.

Nevertheless, as others have remarked, this hotel does not seem to be a good value for the amount charged (and were charged $460 (sf) per night). This rate did not include breakfast, internet service was an additional $40 (sf) per day - and there was an additional charge to borrow a plug adaptor for the computer! The rates for food and room service are exorbitant, even by Geneva standards. This seems to be a hotel for those who aren't concerned about getting a good value for their money. For the rest of us, there are numerous hotels in Geneva that offer the same accomodations for a more sensible price.

again and again...

by TripAdvisor Member luxmon

Following a bad experience I had at the "President Wilson" two years ago, I decided to give them a second chance: It was the last one:
If the quality and friendliness of the staff has improved (mostly young, professional and motivated people), and both restaurants are still of high level, what a shame on the rooms:

Two positive points: the bedding and the bathroom, small but luxury.

The negative points: the size of the room (and I had the chance to be upgraded, poor customers staying in a city-view room!), the overall impression of being in a soviet hotel in the 70's, the fact that I was in a room with two connecting doors to the neighbor rooms:
On my right side, a smoking client (it was a non-smoking floor) with the smoke coming through the connecting door into my room, on my left side a couple talking (not very loud): but the quality of the "connecting doors" is so poor that I had the feeling they were sitting on the sofa of my room. I could hear everything about their nice visit on the lake. Thank god, it was not a confidential business meeting!

The Hilton will re-open soon: please book me a room!

Had a look here before going, expected the worst....

by TripAdvisor Member jge

I stayed in the President Wilson for 5 nights in November with my wife. We had seen the reviews but had been recommended to go here by a good friend.
I'm so happy we did!!!
On arrival we were greeted by the doorman, very friendly, who took care of our luggage before we had the chance to ask. We then made our way to the the reception where we were greet by the two young, but very professional, friendly and helpful receptionnists who checked us in. We had been upgraded to a lake view room without even asking! We were then escorted to our room by the receptionnist, something very rare. They explained the facilities of the hotel and in the room, average sized but luxury. Aqua di Parma products galor, soft bathrobes, well stocked minibar, Wi-Fi internet, and a lovely king sized bed.
We ate in the hotel restarants, both excellant food and wonderful service, the first two days We let the concierge arrange our dining for the rest and every recommendation was faboulous. They also arranged a car to take us and pick us up. We had a technical problem with the bath one day, so we rang the reception. They politely said they would send someone as soon as possible. Within 5 minutes the technical guy had arrived, and the problem was solved in 10 minutes. The receptionnist then rang back to make sure all was ok, very polite.. A rarity for me to experience, (I spent about 80% of my year in hotels for business)
Overall, impeccible service from all the staff, nothing too big or too small, the room was clean and well serviced.
We can't find a snich apart from the tech problem which was solved before it caused any discomfort.
I don't know why all the previous reviews are so bad.. Seems like people only want to moan about this wonderful hotel. It is expensive but it is Geneva and worth it for the incredible views.

Fine, but not luxury

by TripAdvisor Member AndreyBY

Recently stayed in this hotel. I agree this does not deserve terrible marks. But it's not anything special either. At least, I had had higher expectations.

The rooms are quite modest compared to what is shown on their web-site. The deluxe room I stayed in was not too big, and the bathroom was on a smaller side. However, the bath amenities were great and everything was clean. I believe they spray too much perfume in the room and in the wardrobe.

The lake view I had was excellent but it's probably the case for any waterfront hotel there.

Service was generally great but the stay was short and I did not request too much.

It's worth mentioning that I am a Platinum Starwood Preferred guest but not only did they not upgrade my room, but the status was not recognised either.

I do not believe the hotel is too far from the center, just further than most of the others but it's still within the walking distance - Geneva is small.

So, I could say the hotel is fine and can be recommended. However, as there is plenty of great hotels in the city (e.g. the new Four Seasons), I will try a different one next time.

Not worth staying for the price they charge

It's one of the most expensive hotels in Geneva, but the service is really of poor standard for the price you pay. Everything is extra at exorbitant prices: Wifi internet 15CHF x hour, internet point 15 CHF x hour (fortunately there are plenty of free Wifi spot around the hotel and internet cafes at decent prices), breakfast at minimum 40 CHF, ...
The quality and size of the rooms was nothing more than a standard 4* hotel.

The swimming pool is on the rooftop and it's closed in May. The fact that we chose it because it was one of the few hotels in Geneva to have a swimming pool and the fact that the hotel staff failed to mention it was closed when we booked was very irritating to say the least.

Effectively the big issue is the quality of the staff at reception. They tend to have only one person (apart from the concierge that cannot help on hotel matters) and there is almost always a queue. People don't pay more than 500CHF x day to wait in a queue!

Another example: my colleague was going to pay the final bill with his credit card and then present it to our employer, to get the key I had to give them my credit card and they said they were just going to get the print, instead what they did was the following: they debited my GBP credit card for the full amount in CHF and then recredited for the full amount in CHF at the same moment. Given the bid-ask spread charged on fx conversion by credit cards issuers, I was effectively charged almost 50 GBP just for their pleasure to check my creditworthiness! They gained nothing out of it, they just made Visa 50GBP richer. Unfortunately I discovered this only when I received my statement and my employer wasn't very happy about it.

To conclude: avoid this hotel at all costs!

simply awful - stay away!

by TripAdvisor Member F.R.M.

I'm just back from a business trip to Geneva. What do you expect when you are on a business trip? Not to much, simply friendly staff, fast handlings at the reception and a nice room and bed. BUT - nothing one of them works! When you want to check-in you have to wait 10 - 15 minutes and staff is not friendly at all! Also I had the impression that everything is small in this hotel and staff cannot handle more than five guest at the same time at the reception. One morning I asked the concierge for a good fish restaurant and ask to book a table for the same evening - even that didn't work, they forgot about!

Rooms are modernised in a very boring style and are not that big as you get the impression on the pictures in the internet. Next to my room was a familiy making a lot of noise and a/c sytem didn't work how it should. There was a kind of propeller I could hear all night long. Meals are so so in the hotel and the location of the hotel could be better. I had to pay CHF 690 per night without breakfast and without sea view. Finally they charged me for a breakfast I didn't have...

AVOID THIS HOTEL! Try the Four Seasons, de la Paix or Beau Rivage! I think they are all much better.

Once a gem, but now a sad shadow of its former past....

As this hotel seems to be reciving ONLY bad reviews let me add a few explanations why this is so. I have known this hotel for the past 10 years both as a guest and a regular client (I live in the city) and its a perfect exapmple of neglet and deteroration on a massive scale. This hotel used to be one of the best if not the best in the city ,now it can be an example of a 1 star service in a 5 star logo. For instance, the main lobby bar used to have a master barman and a staff of skilled waiters who at least have been working there for a few years. They know all the guests and are very accomaodating to the new ones as well (hint. expirienced). I still remember as a child a waiter who suggested I might enjoy a chocolate mouse better if I used a fork instead of a spoon which allows one to savor the taste more. Nowdays the ENTIRE wait staff are internes which are recruited from a local hotel school to gain work expirience and as a resuslt are learning on the job which translates to an extermely lousy service. Most are quite insecure when dealing with guests and can be very unfriendly at times due to the fact that being a waiter is a rite of passage while studying in the hotel school and most have no intention of being professsional waiters. At this moment the best service is coming form the parking attendants who despite what awaits a guest inside seem to be doing their job with an excellent level of professionalism.

Not as luxe as it should be

by TripAdvisor Member tartegnin

This hotel should be about luxury and top notch service, but fell down on both counts, but particularly on service. My queen-bed room was fine, a nice size with a lovely large bathroom and luxe large size toilettries. It was a first floor room with a small terrace which opened to the larger terrace which houses the outdoor pool - an odd choice, I think, for a single woman, since anyone on the terrace could walk up to my glass terrace door. Also, billed as a lake view, but that's not really correct, as you couldn't see the lake from the room due to the terrace planting.

Hotel staff were pleasant but not entirely competent. The first night I received no turn down, and I dislike having to wrestle with the heavy bedspread. When I mentioned it to the front desk the next morning, instead of an apology, I was told I must have had my "do not disturb" card out - absolutely not the case, as I was only in the room long enough to drop my case before returning from a dinner at about midnight. I also told the front desk that I received no newspaper, although I had been asked my preference at check in. The bath was also very slow draining and the bathroom audio didn't work. To the hotel's credit, the bath issues were resolved by the next evening, but the turn down situation was not.

Breakfast is adequate, but not in proportion to price or to hotel self-image. Service was slow.

The conference room we used in the hotel for our meeting was comfortable, but we saw almost no staff and as a consequence, coffee and water were not always refreshed nor the room cleaned during breaks. Our group lunches, like breakfast, were adequate but not great, and comprised an odd combination of "multinational" dishes that were not complementary or generous in choice.

I would rate the hotel a four star at five star pricing and self image, and would probably prefer the city's new Four Seasons, La Reserve or Intercontinental next time round.

Not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member ljjljj64

I took my wife to the hotel for an evening withou the kids. As a Platinum member I was given an upgrade from a small closet to a smaller closet :).

Based on the reaction of the staff you would have thought they were doing me a favor by letting me hav a room. As for breakfast they asked for 40 CHF each, totaly unacceptable

I normaly stay at Hiltons and will not make this mistake a second time.

Parks along the lake - GenevaParks along the lake - Geneva

3. Second class in the ICN train3. Second class in the ICN train

2. Poster announcing Monday evening jazz concerts2. Poster announcing Monday evening jazz concerts

3. Bicycle parking near the stage door3. Bicycle parking near the stage door

Hotel President wilson

by worshik

HI,

I am arriving from London to Geneva Airport.I want to reach hotel president Wilson using a local train or public transport.Please guide.

regards - sri

Re: Hotel President wilson

by Pimilan

You have a train in the airpot to the city, about 10 minutes, then in front of the train station the Bus no 1, about 10 minutes, and stop at "Gautier", the third stop i think and then walk 5 minutes to the hotel.

Re: Hotel President wilson

by Pimilan

I forget the cost is 3.- SF train and bus, take a ticket for one hour. Taxi about 30 SF.

Comments