Comfort Hotel Intereurope

Olympic MuseumOlympic Museum

CathedralCathedral

FlonFlon

Montbenon & Lausanne Palais de JusticeMontbenon & Lausanne Palais de Justice

speaking english in lausanne?

by ACtravel

Hi everyone

Lausanne looks like such a great place! But if I was to live there, would I need to learn French? Do many of the locals speak English? Id love to learn French anyway but not sure how easy it would be to get by with only english

Thanks!!!

Re: speaking english in lausanne?

by Beausoleil

Telling us your citizenship would help. There are visa issues if you are not an EU citizen. If you lived there, you would quickly pick up the language and many Swiss speak English.

You'll get more helpful answers here if you fill out the information on your Virtual Tourist Home Page like where you live and your interests. That way we can target the information to you.

Re: speaking english in lausanne?

by globetrott

Switzerland in general is quite expensive and their kind of french is also a lot different from the french in the rest of the world, mainly by intonation and also by a few words that are completely different.
I am sure you will find lots of people speaking english to you as long as they considder you a tourist. As soon as they realize you live there without speaking their language they might as well pretend not to understand you at all!
This happenes many times when french-Swiss people are in the german speaking part of Switzerland and they simply insist talking to you in french, although you told them you dont understand and then you find out that they speak excellent german as well (but not to you, only to others).

Travel Tips for Lausanne

Ouchy

by sue_stone

Ouchy was once a pretty lakeside fishing village before the city of Lausanne engulfed it in the mid-19th century. It is still a nice area to visit, with a very different feel to the centre of Lausanne - more lakeside resort than historic centre. It is an affluent area, with some expensive restaurants and nice hotels with lovely views of the lake and the distant alps.

By the lake you can't help but notice the impressive Castle of Ouchy. It was built back in 1170, but has had many reincarnations since then. These days it is used as a hotel, though it was being completely renovated during our visit. There is a wide promenade along the lake edge which is perfect for a stroll. We did so at sunset on a warm summers evening, taking advantage of the cooler temperature, and the flattering light for some snap shots.

Along the way you will see the tourist office, some fountains, a statue or two, and plenty of those pedalo boats to hire. Some of the pedalos even had slippery slides on the back - haven't seen those before.

Ouchy is also home to the Olympic Museum.

With no hesitation what to do,...

by Pegasus74

With no hesitation what to do, I hastened to the famous Chateau de Chillion ('sheeyoh'), an impressive and well-preserved medieval castle, strategically located by the lake about 4km away from the TIC. I chose to go by foot to savor the lakeside view. It was an hour or more of tiring walk but I made it. I won't dig into history but this 11th century castle, which is a famous historical landmark in Switzerland, is absolutely worth visiting. Its tower, courtyards, dungeons and numerous rooms are numbered to make exploration easy. Just to let you know I didn't walk back to catch the train. My stomach was groaning then so I had to take the bus from outside the castle to the train station.

The summit of the 2042m high Rochers de la Naye is accessible from Montreux by the funicular (1hr), or by foot (3hrs). There are couple of wonderful restaurants at the peak but I did not plan to plant a flag up there. I thought I would better satisfy my stomach in no later time before it makes my life miserable.

Not too far away from the TIC is the Christmas market, virtually flooded with people. I decided not to get myself entangled with the crowd since I have to hop on to the very next train which would take me to Zermatt; a 3 hours journey via Sion et Visp.

[Zermatt experience is narrated in a travelogue]

The night guard

by e-katarina

For years of living in or around Lausanne I'd heard the story of the night guard who walks the higher levels of the cathedral at night. I believed that in this day and age, this was a legend sprung from the past.

But one day, just about a year ago, I was in the old town on a winter night, and I heard him, calling out the time from the ledge of the cathedral. And I saw his shadow...

Go to the beach!

by vanessadb

During the nice Summer days, you can head to one of the various beaches on the lakeside. If you are adventurous you might even want to jump in the water, but beware: the temperature is very cold!

Most of the beaches have pedalos to rent, as well as windsurfing, small sailboats and motorboats, etc...

Among the nice beaches I would recommend are: Vidy, Pully, and Morges.

Sauvabelin – Forest & Lake (I&V)

by Zvrlj

Sauvabelin is a forest overlooking Lausanne. In 1888 the city of Lausanne authorized the construction of the artificial lake in Sauvabelin forest. Almost immediately after the construction of the little romantic lake, Sauvbelin had become very popular picnic place – the citizens of Lausanne take Sunday walks there, in winter they come to skate, in the summer they spend time in the rented rowing boats on the lake… Lac de Sauvabelin – Lake Sauvbelin is approximately 100 m wide and 150 m long, deep between 1 m and 1.5 m, with an island in the center.

Probably the most interesting area for the children is tiny ZOO with cows, goats, woolly pigs, ducks, geese, swans…

Although beautiful place, Sauvabelin forest and lake surrounding is not among the top tourist attractions in Lausanne. This "face" of Lausanne is reserved for those travelers who spend a bit more time in the city.

Lake Sauvbelin can be easily reached by Public transport – bus #16.

Comments