Hotel Royal Plaza Montreux

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Hotel Royal Plaza Montreux

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Sunny078

Found this Hotel to be what a 5 star Hotel should be. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious, clean , well furnished and had a beautiful bathroom. The beds were very comfortable. The lake view from the balcony was magnificent. I would not have wanted to stay in a room which did not have a lake view. The Hotel is well situated beside the Lake with a pretty promenade and lovely walks. We will definitely be returning.

Nice hotel but more for business, than leisure

by TripAdvisor Member Marumbi

I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights during my long trip arround Switzerland. Got to tell that for Montreux this hotel is not very typical. At first I thought that it is not good choice as it looks really gloomy among local archtecture.
Staff quite helpful, but not best among swiss hotels. If you are going to stay they take only lake view rooms, standarts are OK, but they are faced to Grand Rue (the main Montreux street). Swimming pool is quite OK - BUT it is not SPA as they advertise it!!! If you are searching for a SPA - go to neighbouring Montreux Palace. Meals are very nice, good breakfasts and very lovely 'Cafe du Lac' by the shore.
Eoyal Plaza is former Hyatt, so it if more business hotel, than leisure destination.

Amazing views. fabulous hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member Tinkyboo

We have just come back from 2 nights at the Royal Plaza Hotel, My husband booked it as a birthday treat for me and paid for a lake view room. We were not dissapointed, we were given a fantastic room which was actually more like a suite, very big with a seating area. The views from the balcony were outstanding. Montreux itself is fairly quiet, but we took the train to Lausanne and Vevey which I would recommend. Take the MOB train, up to the mountains along with all the snowboarders and skiers, for the most amazing views, we could have watched the skiing all day, but sadly we had to get the train back to Geneva to fly home. I would recommend the Royal Plaza Hotel and would love to go back. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and ,on our last day, were happy to arrange a later checkout for us, so that we could spend the morning up in the mountains minus Our cases!

Go for the view and take lots of money!

by TripAdvisor Member cuddlyelephant

Stayed here for 5 nights in January. We were actually booked into a standard room with a 'mountain' view. This is a bit deceiving as although these rooms do have a view of the mountains in the distance, they also look straight onto a very busy road which is not actually that scenic.
Therefore, i would advise anyone staying at this hotel to do what we did and pay a supplement for a lake view room- it really is worth the extra money as you get a beautiful view of lake geneva/lake leman with the alps in the background- quite stunning. The hotel does probably have the best setting in Montreux as it seems to be the only one directly on the shores of the lake, on the other side of the main road that runs through the centre of the town.

The room itself was nice and clean, a reaonable size and nicely furnished. We had breakfast in the hotel each day which is a really nice buffet- cereal, hot eggs and bacon, meat, cheese, pastries, pancakes etc. I would recommend the breakfast as there are not too many other choices for breakfast in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

The spa atlantis is also very good- nice size indoor swimming pool,, jazuzzi and a sauna and steam room in each of the men's and women's changing rooms.

Montreux itself has a great setting and the railway station offers easy access to rochers de naye on the mountain railway, and is also a stop on the golden pass line to lucerne and the bernese oberland. You can also get to stresa in italy direct from montreux and we even had a day in Zermatt which is about a 3 hour train journey but pleasant enough through the lovely scenery.

It generally is very expensive in Switzerland to eat out- certainly the hotel wasn't an option for us- about £10 for a hamburger! But walk along the lakeside for about 15 minutes and you come to a McDonalds and a reasonably priced Italian restaurant right next to it in the Forum shopping complex. Also, there is the Chalet Swiss restaurant opposite the station and beneath if the Paradise restaurant which offers a nice buffet syle salad and plenty of cheap fried food and chip.

All in all, a good choice of hotel and a lovely resort- enjoy!

Fantastic setting

by TripAdvisor Member TerryNutkins

Stayed here for 3 nights in January. The view from our junior suite was fantastic, and worth paying for. Comfortable room. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Montreux itself offers little to do other than stroll along the promenade to Chateux Chillon (45mins) or just admire the lake and surrounding mountains. Excellent train service to anywhere that you want to go. Definatley take the train to Gruyere, a jaw dropping ride meandering up the side of the mountains (1000ft) and then through the valleys to the famous cheese producing village. Eating out in Montreux, great italian 10 mins walk along the lake road.

I would love to return here someday, too many other places to visit first though.....

Incredible lake view!

by TripAdvisor Member edinburger82

We had a lovely stay in this hotel - I'd highly recommend a lake view room with balcony and on one of the upper floors too - our original 'lake view' room was on one of the lower levels, and had a view mostly obscured by trees! The management promptly rectified this for me however by allocated us a different room.

Very nice room, clean and tidy, and a generous sized balcony. The hotel provided an excellent base for us for exploring the region. A quick tip for saving a few Francs (since such opportunities are rare in Switzerland) is to skip breakfast at the hotel, and pick up some fresh-baked pastries etc at the local supermarket which is a few mins walk from the hotel.

Would recommend this hotel to others, and will probably stay here again in future. Also, try the Chinese restaurant opposite for great food, romantic atmosphere, and piano player.

very nice hotel, but not a 5 star

by TripAdvisor Member Dashkina

I've just returned from a 6 night stay in this hotel, as we had a conference there. We've managed to get wonderful rates, so in terms of the cost, this was a very nice hotel. However, if you are travelling a lot and stay in 5* hotels, you know how they differ. The hotel, even though it says it has been renovated recently, has a bit of an oldies flavor. I had a beautiful Delux room with a lake view, it was spaceous, with a nice balcony and bathroom, and the towels were great as well. The TV was located very wierdly under the desk, so if you are lying down, you can't really watch it. The breakfast had a good variety, the croissaints were to die for, I guess this is a must when you are in the French part of Switzerland.

We've also had 2 dinners and lunches at the hotel, and the food was ok. The deserts, though, were fantastic.

The only real downside of the hotel is its front desk staff. As I was staying for almost a week, and, as one of the organizers of the conference had to go to the concierge/reception staff very often, I always left with a mixed up feelings. One minute they would be smiling at you, the next moment they would leave you neglected for 10 minutes, and would be sincerely surprised that you are starting to get frustrated.

Overall, I would say that the hotel is really very nice, however, there are little things that stop you from saying that this is a superb place.

fantastic place, worth the upgrade, nice spa

by TripAdvisor Member acaciaruth

beautiful views, a rather nice place. worth the upgrade it you can get a decent price online. *get the lake and montian view. what you get the montain view is a gas station, homes and the street basically.

we didnt upgrade on hotels.com not knowing, and when we tried to at the hotel they said it would be another $374. we laughed, same room, different view not worth it with everything else planned.

great walking area, fantastic resturants. amazing views on clear days

nice spa and pool area other then the mean man with the blue plastic booties that spoke AT everyone as if they didnt have a brain

perfekt royal plaza

by TripAdvisor Member NürnbergSusanne

I stayed here in March with my husband, 2 children and father.
The location is the best in Montreux because most of the other hotels have the main street between the hotel and the lake. The Royal Plaza is directly on the lake. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and spotless. We had great views over the lake. The beds are comfortable and it is quiet at night. Breakfast has a good selection, great müsli. The Cafe du lac is also very good. Sunset bar has the best view over the lake. Prices are decent and you do not feel ripped off. I would highly recommend this hotel. There are also lots of restaurants, bars and shops in walking distance.Pool area is very nice and clean.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member djl1960

The facilities in the hotel were excellent and the room very comfortable. I would recommend a room with a lake view. Montreux itself is slightly dull but fine for a weekend break.

Montreux - ChillonMontreux - Chillon

"Geneva" in Montreux"Geneva" in Montreux

Upon arrival Rochers-de-NayeUpon arrival Rochers-de-Naye

Chateau de Chillon, Byron's engraved nameChateau de Chillon, Byron's engraved name

Special "panoramic" trains

by nilesh_modi

Hello everybody,

I have heard that there are some special trains which take you through some breathtaking panoramic mountains, and places, can you please tell me from where near Montreux, these types of trains can be found ? and to where?

Any comment on fares will also be highly welcomed.

Thanks,
Nilesh.

by Bimalaggarwal

You can have complete details of all scenic routes in Switzerland on the SBB website (www.sbb.ch).
Please follow the link:

The details of the fares can also be found there.

Re: Re: Special "panoramic" trains

by german_eagle

Another helpful website is www.mob.ch

by YanaKl

I was in such train 2 years ago. We travel from Interlaken to Montreux. The views are really beautiful, but yet it's just a train. You can't slow down in most beautiful places. You can't went out and so on.
So, I think it's good, if you anyway need to move from Interlaken to Montreux, then it's a good choice.
Have a good time!
Yana

by Manara

Since you are interested in trains from Montreaux, I recommend the website www.goldenpass.ch.
One tip: if you decide to make this trip, it is not worthwhile paying more to travel in the first-class "panoramic" cars. You can have a beautiful view also from the ordinary second class windows.

Comments