15 route du Rawyl, Crans-Montana, Switzerland

Valasian Alps from CransValasian Alps from Crans

Travel Tips for Crans

Crans -- The base

by gubbi1

It has been time again to take part in one of the group travels of Frosch Sportreisen, with which I had visited Sicilia, Campania and Crete before. So friends of mine and me decided to make a trip to the Swiss Alps where we haven't been before. From my side the holidays were mainly thought to be hiking days, despite that Frosch offers excellent possibilities for mountain biking. Unfortunately I did not have a good physical condition at the beginning because of a long periode of rain at the weekends and overwork during weekdays. So the first days were pretty tough but the very beautiful blooming mountainous landscape and the nice people kept me getting in shape.
We did plenty of hiking and several excursions to places in the region. It happend that during our stay there was the Montreux Jazz Festival for which we had ordered ticket in advance. So one day we made a trip to Montreux where combined sightseeing during the day with a great concert in the evening.

All hiking tours we did started in Crans or just few minutes by public transport. From the hotel owned by Frosch Sportsreisen it is only 5 minutes walking to the next cable car which brings you up to the mountain Cry-d'Er. Here you will find a hiking paradise and amazing views down into the Rhone-valley about 2000 meters below.

Taking another cablecar from a neighbouring village of Crans (Aminona-sur-Sierre) you will be able to visit a glacier. It is not that kind of glacier which stretches through a long valley, but rather lies in a large dip. It is the Glacier-de-la-Plaine-Morte. You shouldn't walk over it without a guide!

Another trip (self guided) took us to the lake on this photo. We drove over there by car (so close but because of the valleys pretty far). There you can walk around the lake and stop in a nice Alp for soem beverages and cake. Also the dam is quite impressive, but it is small comparable to many others here in the region. If you have time you should check out the Lac de Dix, which has the highest dam wall of 300 meters comparable with the Eiffel tower! I haven't been there but read about it in my home towns Alpine Museum where they explain about the dam system of the Valais.

Comments