Booking.com

More about Riederalp

On the panorama pisteOn the panorama piste

Don't fall down!!!Don't fall down!!!

Fantastic view from our apartmentFantastic view from our apartment

Riederalp BahnenRiederalp Bahnen

new bridge

by sandysmith

Yesterday a new suspension bridge linking Riederalp and Belalp across the Massa Gorge below the aletsch glacier in Valais canton was opened.

I'd really like to walk this trail when in Switzerland next week. Can anyone give more details about its starting point and length/difficulty of hike. Any info I have seen is all in German :-(

Many thanks

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Interesting project.

It appears that the bridge has shortened the walk between Belalp and Riederalp by 3 hours. What took 8 hours in the past is now a 4:20h walk.

The walk is graded as being 'Middle' difficulty. From what I can determine the walk literally begins and ends in the villages of Belalp and Riederalp, both of which are easily accessible with a cableway from the main train line in the Valais.

Enjoy your walk.

by AlmostSwiss

Sorry, I should add to that:

You will decend 525m and then climb 525m again. The total distance is 14km.
The bridge is at 1600m above sea level, the highest point of the journey is Belalp at 2130m. You could choose to stay at the Hotel Belalp, right at the end of the walk.

by sandysmith

thank you for that info, much appreciated - glad its a shorter walk now - sounds like that either way has the same climb/descent so doesn't matter which way round its hiked. We are booked into Hotel Amabassador in Brig for 3 nights before moving onto Kandersteg and then Adelboden - 10 days in the Alps :-))

Very jealous...

by sandysmith

we did the hike - took me most of the day as I climb slowly, but well worth it - views were great. The google earth route doesn,t do the steep bits justice.

by AlmostSwiss

Hehe... I have that problem with Google Earth too. everything always looks so much easier.

I will definitely do that hike one day. Thanks for your feedback on it.

Travel Tips for Riederalp

Wintersport clothes

by martin_nl

When snowboarding you need quite some gear. You can decide to ren it all but some things might be usefull to bring yourself. I bought my own ski suit at the Pull and Bear in Barcelona (see my BCN shopping tip), then when it's warm the only thing you'll be needing for under your suit is a long sleeve t-shirt. If it's colder it is wise to bring some thermic underwear.
Then you need a snowboard or a pair of ski's and ski or snowboard shoes. I borrowed an old snowboard from someone, so I only needed to rent some shoes, but they didn't come very cheap. 5 days was 69 CHF to give you an idea. So please try to borrow them too!!!

Comments