Rue du Scex 10, Sion, Valais, CH-1950, Switzerland
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Sion

Chapelle Tous-ls-Saint / All Saints chapel in SionChapelle Tous-ls-Saint / All Saints chapel in Sion

Château de Tourbillon / Tourbillon castle in SionChâteau de Tourbillon / Tourbillon castle in Sion

Tourbillon castleTourbillon castle

20 Swiss Francs note20 Swiss Francs note

International VT meeting on 15. August 2007 in wonderful Sion

Hello VT members and friends,

VT member yumyum (CH) and me (HORSCHECK, D) are exploring the Swiss Canton du Valais next week (12.08.-19.08.).

Among other things we are planning a little VT meeting in wonderful Sion with the most famous VT member from that region (Tripack).

At this stage the schedule for the meeting is defined like this:

DATE AND TIME:
15.08.2007 - 16:00 h

MEETING PLACE:
Giorgio cafe at the Rempart Place (300m from Hôtel Elite)

After exchangig some travel stories including the latest VT gossip, a little walk around the town and a fabulous dinner, we might head of to the "Sion in Lights" event which starts around 22:15 h.

[ALL DATA IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE]

There are already rumours that another famous VT member from the US is in the region at almost the same time. So it would be great if we could meet all together.

Any other member who is interested to come please bookmark this thraed as all changes to the plan will be posted here.

Thank you.

HORSCHECK :o)

by Tripack

Happy to welcome a VT meeting to the Heart of The Alps! See you soon!
Tripack aka Patrick ;-)

by cachaseiro

i was in sion last week but now i'm back in denmark, so i just mnissed you guys by a few days.

Hello Claus,

I can't believe you have been to Sion. It really seems to be in the heart of Europe and every VT member comes across it, but only secretly.

HORSCHECK

by cachaseiro

i was trekking around the mont blanc when i passed sion and just went in there to get some supplies.

by dvideira

Holger, can you believe I passed by Sion just last week as well???
I am going back to Switzerland from Sweden maybe a day or two after the meeting.... geeee!

Hello Denise,

I really can't believe that half of the VT community comes across Sion. It really seems to be a popular place.

It had been great to have met you. Oh well, I do have problems with these sort of "if-clauses", but I think you know what I mean ... *winkygrin*

XOX
HORSCHECK

by dvideira

hehe I do know what you mean.
I would love to meet you for real as well.
This trip of mine was so unplanned ( actually I am kind of enjoying that! )

by Dabs

Ha ha, I don't think I'm famous ;-) But we'll be just missing you, my husband is doing a swim race in Annecy France that morning and we will be staying overnight in Geneva on the 15th, won't get into Sion until probably around dinner time on the 16th.

Hope you all have a great time!!!

by yumyum

I'm looking forward to the meeting too.

Kristi, if you want to email me your mobile number, I can send you an sms in case we are still around on 16th which might be a possibility.

Hi all,

HORSCHECK and myself are now off-line for a week, so see you at the meeting :))

Travel Tips for Sion

Walking in the center of town

by yumyum

I really liked walking around the center and the old part of Sion.

I think I never saw so many open air cafés in a small town before (picture 1). I also liked the building of the "Conservatory of Music" in picture 2.

A real favourite of mine was the modern style fountain (picture 3) with its small green glass pebbles, the water play and the comfortable seating. On this small square off Place de la Planta and next to the police station there is also an ice cream parlour.

Walking through the small streets towards the hill you cross a small river and you will see many gorgeous street scenes (pictures 4 and 5).

SWISS ALPINE FLORA TO COLOUR THE ALPS!!

by white_smallstar

Rich in sunny valleys and high mountain peaks, Switzerland enjoys a wide range of wildlife and botanical habitats. Thanks to the huge difference in altitude, climate and vegetation zones, there’s nearly always something of interest to see, whether you’re a dedicated naturalist, expert botanist or just a visitor with an interest in the overall mountain environment.

Walking along a path, you will discover a huge variety of small flowers, beehives in a wonderful location, a small devotional chapel and a peaceful atmosphere.
It was so nice discovering meadowlands full of small flowers which add some colours to the “alps”.
I have not green fingers but it was a pleasure taking pictures of flowers, until a wonderful blue butterfly appeared . . .

Local Football Team: FC SION

by Tripack

Proud to be Valaisan...

The Red and White team (official colors of FC Sion and Valais by the way) was founded in 1909. The first match was held at the Planta Square against Aigle (Vaud) and the local team won by 3 vs 2!

In 1962, Sion was promoted to the Swiss League (LNA or Super League) and won for the fist time the Swiss Cup in 1965.

Since 1968, the team played at home in the Tourbillon stadium (capacity of 16'500) located in the East area of Sion. Our local football team play an important role to unify all regions from our state (German part and French part).

The club became a legend by winning 10 times the Swiss Cup (1965, 1974, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1991, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2006 , to be continued ;-)

In 2003, after financial problems, FC Sion was relegated in the second division, but after 3 years the club became again a major team. In 2006, the FC Sion becomes the first club of the second division to gain the Swiss Cup. Sion is back and for a long time!

HOP SION!!!

Skiing in Anzere

by mickebear

Not the biggest skiing center at Sion area, but a good family destination.

to get there:

TGV : Paris - Lausanne
Intercity Lausanne - Sion

TGV : Paris - Sion (winter season)

Pendolino: Milan - Sion

Intercity: stops at Sion You can rent equipment on the spot. Daily ski passes from 44 CHF.

Chapelle de Tous-les-Saint / All Saints chapel

by globetrott

Chapelle de Tous-les-Saint / All Saints chapel
dates back to the 14th century
and it was built between both castles of Sion. It is a pity that this interesting church in romanesque style with gothic elements is normally not open for the public, so I had no chance to take a look inside.

Comments