Apartment Maoli

More about Zermatt

GornergratGornergrat

Chez Gaby.....Chez Gaby.....

restaurant Blattenrestaurant Blatten

Chris on the funicularChris on the funicular

Visiting Matterhorn

by PritiA

Hello,

I am planning a stay in Lausanne and then my next stop is Interlaken. I wanted to know whether it would be good to go to Zermatt (Lausanne - Zermatt is 3 hrs one way by train) and then proceed to Interlaken.

As I wont be able to stay for the night at Zermatt I was wondering whether this stop will be worth to take some picture of the Matterhorn and perhaps experience the Glacier Express for some stretch.

Thanks!

RE: Visiting Matterhorn

by alllove2u2

If it`s not going to throw off your schedule too much, I would think a stop in Zermatt would be nice. It`s small and scenic, one day should be enough. You can indeed get some good shots of the Matterhorn and the Swiss Scenic trains are ...as they say... scenic.

RE: Visiting Matterhorn

by altamiro

>As I wont be able to stay for the night at Zermatt I was wondering whether this stop will be worth to take some picture of the Matterhorn

That's up to powers above, as they say. The Matterhorn is the first thing that disappears from view if there are low clouds. If the weather permits, take the cog train to the Gornergrat, instead of just looking up to the Matterhorn from the valley floor.

>and perhaps experience the Glacier Express for some stretch.

Technically, you already do if you go to Zermatt. However, the Glacier Express are only a special kind of train while there are many others on the same routes, with the same views, just with more stops.
If you want to go to Interlaken within one day and you want to do it via Zermatt you will spend most of your day on the train. No time to have any scenic detours.

RE: RE: Visiting Matterhorn

by kaps_4

Hi

Zermatt/Matterhorn is out of this world. A must see, but Matterhorn view is weather dependant. Moreover the ride to the ( 3 cable cars take you there ) the summit is awesome and worth it.

Have fun!!!

Kaps

RE: RE: Visiting Matterhorn

by PritiA

I have a 3-night stay in Interlaken

My iternary is like this:

Bern: 2 nights
Inetrlaken: 3 nights
Lucerne: 3 nights
Zurich: 1 night

From Bern we are planning to cut one day off and book at Geneva instead. So instead of directly going to Interlaken from Bern, we will stop over for a day at Lausanne/Geneva and then go to Interlaken via Zermatt.

Travel Tips for Zermatt

Window Boxes

by sandysmith

The town of Zermatt is bedecked with flowers.....there are so many beautiful "windows of Zermatt" that I made a little travelogue of them. So if you like this one , please take a look at the others.

Day 2. Vague signs that the cloud was lifting.

by dabidc

So I decided to visit the Rothorn Paradise using the undergound train. There were a few hopeful passenges.

The station is near the City Hotel and we were told the upper station at Rothorn was not in service. So go to Sunegga.

Stay near the lower end of the two or three coaches, when people disembark , walk down a few steps, walk along a passage , then take the elevator to the top exit.

Outside was not pleasant, the cloud hung around, then slowly a bright period, no sun just a little brighter.

What to do, it was dry, so take a hike. Buddy.

The hike was around a small lake, the Leisee. A place for pic nics and family gatherings on a fine day.

Then on into the cloud, the path was easy to follow, several signs, so I had no concerns about being lost on the mountain. hahaha.

The photo of Findeln shows the cloud, normally that small village overlooks the valley carved out by the melting waters of the Findel Glacier, with trees across the stream. Possibly views of the Matterhorn. But not today. Photo 2.

A look back at Lei See ( I think ) as I walked over the hill towards the upper valley. Photo 3.

Then as I walked along, following the path, passing some guys repairing a small building, suddenly the cloud lifted and I was able to see the valley below and the small man -made lake, probably Moosjsee. I had hope to get to Gridljsee for any views of the Matterhorn that might be reflected in the waters of that lake. Photo 4.

Then a few minutes later the cloud descended and the Moosjsee washidden.

At that point the Goat appeared, and I decided the return journey was the best thing to do.

I ended up at the restaurant at Sunegga having a bowl of soup to warm me up. I was not alone many others were sheltering from the cold.

Now it was time to return to earth out of this eerie cloud.

Glacier Express

by JudyinPA

The Glacier Express is the only way to go to Zermatt if you are traveling from Chur or St Moritz or other villages. This trip we took in reverse, Zermatt to Chur. It is one of the most scenic trips on the train. You must have reservations and try to schedule first class tickets in order to have the hugh glass windows for the best inclusive views as you travel through the Alps. At the same time reservations can be made for the meal which is delicious. This is a "must do" trip while in this country.

Bergrestaurant Alphitta - in Riffelalp

by sue_stone about Bergrestaurant Alphitta

After a visit to scenic Gornergrat, we stopped off in Riffelalp for a wander and some lunch. When we happened across Bergrestaurant Alphitta, with its large, shady balcony we were smitten. The restaurant is perched on the side of a hill and there are lovely alpine views from here across the valley. Grabbing a great table on the balcony, we lapped up the views whilst waiting to order….things move slower in the mountains. We all opted for a Rosti - either topped with ham, cheese and egg, or with bacon and egg. They were really delicious and very filling.

If the sun is shining I can really recommend Alphitta as a good place for a drink or meal.

Schwarzsee

by Dyesebel

With 2,583 meters above sea level is Schwarzsee the closest "view point" of of the famous Matterhorn.From Zermatt,it takes only 12minutes to reach Schwarzsee by Matterhorn Express cable car.Because I came here winter,I couldn't do much than taking pictures;).Schwazsee in winter is mostly visited by ski lovers.In summer,hiking is the popular activity here.

Fare: 44 Sfr. Adult/Return