Aristela

ZERMATT, Zermatt, 3920, Switzerland

More about Zermatt

DOMDOM

Why has he got his back legs crossed?Why has he got his back legs crossed?

Entrance to the igloo villageEntrance to the igloo village

village along the wayvillage along the way

Train to Zermatt

by Madirim03

I am trying to get to Zermatt. Either from Montreux or Brig, my question is can I take a train using my Eurail pass or do I have to buy another train ticket for a special train to get into Zermatt?

by kileysmom

You have to buy a ticket from either Visp or Brig - a Swiss Rail pass covers this trip but not a Eurrail pass.

by inawic

I took the train from Brig to Zermatt last summer. We had an Eurail pass, and paid half price for the train from Brig to Zermatt.

by inawic

I don't remember exactly, but I will try to find my ticket! Switzerland is an EXPENSIVE country, even for me coming from quite expensive Norway...

by inawic

Hmmm... Strange! I just remember we had very little time, and I rushed in to buy our tickets. I brought both me and my friends eurail passes along, and I certainly remember we didn't pay full price. At the train, we had to show both our eurail passes and the ticket bought for Zermatt. We also had to go back to Brig within three days before our passes would expire. Otherwise it would be way more expensive. I will try to find my receipt! (I'm at my parent's house this weekend, just have to get home.)

We bought a 22-days interrail pass in Norway, I think that's the same as Eurail Pass?

Hi again!

Now I've found my ticket from Brig to Zermatt. I paid 16.50 CHF, and it stands 1/2 in front. I believe that stands for half price. We did not have the Swiss pass as I said, we bought our passes in Norway. Maybe they are different?

Ina :)

Travel Tips for Zermatt

More views from Schwarzsee

by sandysmith

More glorious mountain scenery from Schwarzsee to enjoy. It was also the start of a beautiful hike down to Stafealp across the other side of the valley to Zmutt and back down to Zermatt - beautiful views of the Nordwand side of the Matterhorn on this hike - where most of the pics from the "Matterhorn Collection" came from

Skiing Through Streets of Zermatt

by RACCOON1

One of the nice features of Zermatt, in the winter , is that you have the ability to ski through the streets on your way back to your hotel. There is no guarantee you will be 100% successful , unless your hotel is close to the river.

Train travel safer and easier on the rail system.

by dabidc

There is a similar set of cogs on the train, when both sets of cogs mesh the train gets an assist in both climbing the mountain railway and in descending to the valley.

There are many cog railway systems in Switzerland and the Alps.

on your way down....

by upthemountain about Bergrestaurant Blatten

On the way down the mountain from Furi stop at this little restaurant for a drink or a snack... the atmosphere is warm and cosy inside, the service is personal (often the owner is sitting down with the regulars) and there is a great terrace. The Gluehwein is very good here! Also the trockenfleisch plate. But everything tastes good after a day of skiing.....

Kleine Matterhorn

by sandysmith

From the south end of Zermatt village, cable cars run to Furi and on up to Trockener Steg (2939m), overlooking the gigantic Theodulgletscher, which slides over the Italian border at the foot of the Matterhorn. From Trockener Steg, another cable car runs up to the crest of the Klein Matterhorn – at 3820m, this is the highest cable-car station in Europe, and there’s an ice palace and other bits and bobs on top. From Furi, though, the cable car up to the little Schwarzsee gives what is commended as the most picture-perfect views of the Matterhorn, at close quarters and reflected in a pine-fringed lake.

Comments