Best Western Alpen Resort Hotel

BEST WESTERN Alpen Resort Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Zermatt

Klein Matterhorn (video)Klein Matterhorn (video)

A great view during your lunch time...A great view during your lunch time...

Lovely door off from the altar......Lovely door off from the altar......

View from, and of, the Glacier ExpressView from, and of, the Glacier Express

From St Gallens to Zermatt with an interrail pass

by orangemonkey

hi

I'm thinking of making a day trip for st gallens to zermatt and back next sunday. I know the train rides are crazy but I heard the matterhorn is gorgerous so I want to see it. and i only have 3 days in switzerland. I'm thinking of taking the 6+am train which should get me in zermatt by 12 and then going back in the evening. my question is.

1) I bought an interrail card to use for my trip. Does it have any train restrictions in terms of timing etc? (i.e peak/off peak). Also do I have to make a booking for this journey? and does the interrail pass cover my entire journey? or is part of it own by a private railway

2) To view the matterhorn, I understand there are three viewing points. With my time constraint, and having the interrail card ( I understand I only get a discount for the gornegrat and not the other two), what would be your best recommendation?

Many thanks for all your help!

by K_V_B

In Switzerland there are no trains with require booking. If you have a valid ticket covering a particular route on a particular day you can take whatever train you want on the route. There are no restrictions.
However, the interrail pass does not cover the MGB railway, so you will need to buy a Visp - Zermatt return ticket (you can buy this in St. Gallen, even from the ticket machines)

by globetrott

2) to view the matterhorn you simply have to walk through the village, that is nice as well with great wooden houses and at the end you will see the Matterhorn from a distance, walkingtime is about 20-30 min one way with some photostops.
Gornergrad-bahn needs a seperate ticket and as you are short of time, so you better skip it.

by Maryimelda

I totally agree with globetrott, I was in Zermatt last month and the Matterhorn was hidden behind cloudcover for most of the time, so I was advised not to go to Gornergrat as I would see nothing that day. The next morning as I was about to leave, the Matterhorn was resplendant in all its glory. I toook some pics from my hotel and as I did, the sun came over the mountain and turned it gold. You can see it on my Zermatt page. It is indeed beautiful, but all being well, you will see it from Zermatt without the need to go any further,if the weather is right. There is always a risk of the mountains in Switzerland being hidden under cloudcover, but it's a risk worth taking.

by orangemonkey

Thanks very much for the help guys. I think I will view it from zermatt then as it will be to costly to go up especially after the visp-zermatt trip. Not sure if 10 hours of travelling and 150chf is worth it in one day just to see it from the viewing point.

Travel Tips for Zermatt

The Matterhorn at home...

by Tripack

Thanks to these webcams, you will be able to observe the Matterhorn under all the angles…

Useful if you want to know the current weather conditions. I particularly appreciate to use it in winter for snow conditions (or waiting queue length at the ski lifts) and decide if I will ski there at the next week-end.

The Rothorn webcam is a good indicator with the snow level on the outdoor bar roof, but take in count the wind possibility…

So just take a live virtual tour around the Matterhorn and its surroundings. Watch out Big Brother is watching you ;-)

LIVE The Matterhorn and surroundings...

Mr Matterhorn

by sandysmith

Zermatt will not be the same without Mr. Inderbinen - a legendary Matterhorn guide.
Dec 4th 2002 and he celebrates his 102nd birthday, an amazing man. It was a privilege to meet him. He has written a book on the life of the village Zermatt, well he sure must have seen some changes over his many years.

Experience an Igloo night

by Tripack

The most refreshing night that you could experience...

Igloo Village Zermatt

The Igloo Village in Zermatt right at the foot of the Matterhorn is an unforgettable experience. It contains two large igloos which can be used for incentive programs, fondue and chat at lunchtime and, of course, overnight stays.

Under review for winter season 2005/06... soon on line

An other way to go to Zermatt

by MATIM

drive by car to Täsch, this is the last place you are allowed to reach by car before Zermatt.
The people where we parked the car owned some mini busses who brought us to Zermatt. Parking and drive back and forwards with 4 persons cost 37 CHF.
After three o’clock a minivan is there to take you back to Täsch, you never have to wait more then 10 minutes.

Or you can park your car and drive that last part from Täsch to Zermatt by train, I think it takes 10 minutes.

VT fix - Internet Cafe

by sandysmith about Big Shop Bar

Seemed popular with locals and tourists...bit too smokey for my liking. Had sports channel for big events like football but the main reason I popped in here was to log onto VT and check out what was happening whilst I was away.
Bar snacks available.

Internet charge was SFr 2 for 15 minutes.

Comments