Hotel Christiana

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Zermatt

Zermatt (video)Zermatt (video)

The ChickenThe Chicken

Lots of attractive buildings....Lots of attractive buildings....

Chris in the dining car on the Glacier ExpressChris in the dining car on the Glacier Express

Traveling from Geneva to Zermatt

by bluejaycc08

Hi,
I will be landing in Geneva December 16th and am looking for the cheapest way to get to Zermatt until December 21st, when I will be flying back out of Geneva. Does anyone know the best companies (rail or bus) to go with?

Thank you!
Steve

Re: Traveling from Geneva to Zermatt

by K_V_B

In Switzerland the different public transport companies form an integrated system, where companies do not compete with each other. So the question as to which company is cheapest is pretty much moot.
To find out how to get from Geneva Airport to Zermatt go to www.sbb.ch, where you can look up timetable and prices.

Travel Tips for Zermatt

Try living in an Igloo

by bianchis

Actually we wanted to take the Gornergrat train to Riffelberg and then walk up to Rotenboden but this meant walking on the ski piste were skiiers would flit by and make it a dangerous endeavour so we decided to continue on to Rotenboden walk down to the Igloo village then walk back up back to the station.

It was really worth the visit to see an igloo village built 2727 meters above sea level. We didnt try the Champagne or the whirlpool which was only for guests but we did enjoy the atmosphere of a nice sunny day in a village made out of snow and ice.

The music is low key, smells of fondue cooking, and the skiing crowd drop in to enjoy a warm drink and soak up the sun. The Matterhorn followed me around wherever I was in Zermatt from the moment I woke up and looked through my window or relaxed in the pool or walked or travelled up to the Gornergrat.

Swiss Chocolate

by sue_stone

When I think of Switzerland, I think of mountains, cows with bells, and chocolate! This country is a chocolate lovers paradise. Not only are there numerous speciality chocolate shops to browse and shop in, but pop into any supermarket, food hall, tourist shop etc and you will be confronted by a massive display of tasty Swiss chocolatey goodness.

I have a soft spot for Lindt chocolate, and didn't bore of looking at the large selection on offer. I may have sampled a few varieties you can't seem to buy in the UK, and bought a few blocks home too. We did taste some other brands of Swiss chocolate, but none of them compared to my precious Lindt.

My favourite purchase was a blue Lindt tin with a picture of the Matterhorn on the top, which was filled with chocolate. I bought it at a souvenir shop in Zermatt, expecting that I paid way too much for it. I saw the exact same tin at the Geneva airport on our way home, and it was double the price that I had paid! Lesson for the day - souvenir shops aren't always a rip off.

Watching the cute and furries

by sierralyndon

I love marmots... and was a tad disappointed that we didn't see lots of them during our hikes (I think we spotted just about 3 or 4 of them during our walks).

Then we went to the Marmot Observation post at the Sunegga skifield. In a bunch of rocks was a whole colony of marmots who pop out and sunbathe then scamper away at the slightest noise. And then come out again. Honestly, I could spend hours just watching them.

Zermatt-Gornergrat

by Dyesebel

Take the Gornergratbahn,located just right next to the train station in Zermatt.Sometimes they have the so-called "happy hour" where you pay less to go to Gornergrat,I think its starts from 12noon 'til the last descent.Gornergrat railway was the first electric cogwheel train in Switzerland.

Enjoy your meal, enyoy the view...

by Tripack about Restaurant Rothorn

This restaurant is located on the summit of the Rothorn (3'100m or 10'170 feet above sea level). The panoramic terrace give you a great view on the moutnains. The cuisine is inventive and delicious. The prices are honest for a high altitude restaurant, the special of the day is CHF 16.- and you get enoug food to feed you during your skiing day.

Built in the chalet style, the restaurant can accommodate 152 guests inside and a further 200 on the terrace.

Winter : from December to the end of April.
Summer : from July to the end of October. Bon appetit!

Comments