Restaurant-Suite Sonnmatten

Priceline.com Booking.com eDreams

More about Zermatt

GornergratGornergrat

Beware....Beware....

View from restaurantView from restaurant

Zermatt base station to SunneggaZermatt base station to Sunnegga

Access to Zermatt

by Murattizo

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to go to Zermatt in March. I'm wandering which city is relatively closer to Zermatt and whether I should travel by car or train for easier access (transfers, road conditions, etc); Geneve, Zurich or Milan.

Have you got any hotel or apartment recommendations?

by pattywatty

I just came back from 2 wks in Switz. I traveled by train. I was in Zermatt and there are no cars allowed there. If you have a car, you park in Tasch the closest town from Zermatt then take the train from there, about 10-15 mins.
I think Zurich is the closest city. I took the train from Zermatt to Lucerne which was about 3 hrs and Lucerne is another hour from zurich.
But Geneva may also be close.
I did not go there so I dont know the exact length of time the train would take but I guess about 3-4 hrs.
look up sbb.ch which is the train schedule for switz.
as far as hotels in zermatt. I did not have any res. and sept. is kind of slow, so I just look at the hotel board that they have in the tourist info. place and walk around a bit to get a feel for the place.
there is a storage lockers for bags at the train station too.
I ended up staying at Hotel continental for 85 fr a night which included bathroom with shower and breakfast.
Great location right off the main street. Nice hotel, clean and rooms looked modern looking. about 3 min walk to the train station.

by rpeer

Zurich - Zermatt: 4:30
Geneva - Zermant: 3:45
Milano - Zermatt: 3:30 - 4:00

RE: RE: Access to Zermatt

by outdoorz13

I recently stayed at the Grand Hotel Schonegg
o Great location if you want a view over the entire town and of the Matterhorn (on a clear day)
o It’s a bit of a hike down to town, but it’s such a cute little town, I loved it. If you can’t walk up/down hills, then this hotel isn’t for you.
o I stayed in room 404 with a king (2 twins) bed and an excellent view of town. Be sure to ask for a room that faces town for an excellent view and great balcony to drink your ovomaltine or shumli flumli from.
o Very comfy bed with big fluffy comforter.
o Nice bathroom.
o When I stayed here the hotel was actually closed and we were there as overflow from the Alpenroyal, so I didn’t use any of the hotel facilities.
o I would definitely stay here again.

I loved Zermatt and will be visiting again soon! Good luck

by julin

The Best Western Alpen Resort Hotel was very good when we stayed in June.We had a large room with a view of the Matterhorn.The dinners are quite good and compare well with the restaurants in town.We travelled by train from Geneva changing at Visp.It was a lovely journey especially the bit from Visp to Zermatt.Make sure you take a trip on the Gornergrat cog railway and also cable cars to Klein Matterhorn.We will go back again in June as we fell in love with Zermatt.

Travel Tips for Zermatt

Beautiful Mountains

by herzog63

The mountains surrounding Zermatt are very rugged! As you walk near this kind be careful as there are probably goats or antelope way up high that knock small stones and sometimes big ones down as they walk around!! It happened to me and luckily I heard the stones coming and ducked behind some boulders for protection.

Matterhorn

by robertgaz

From Zermatt you can hike up the Matterhorn or catch a cable car to the Schwarzsee station and walk further from there.

The views from the Matterhorn up and down the long valley flanked by snow capped mountains are simply sensational.

Leave your car at Visp

by eurotravels

We left the car in the spacious car park at Visp and caught the train. We found the journey was easy. It is not possible to drive to Zermat as the only vehicles allowed are electrically powered.
Timetables and prices are on the Website http://www.bvz.ch/timetableandfares.phpe.
You need to click on the link Brig-Zermatt.

Escape the winter blues in this mountain restauran

by bianchis about Mountain restaurant Blatten

Half an hour walk direction Matterhorn to Blatten and you come across this lovely restaurant where you can sit outside and enjoy the sunshine. We just had coffee because we were not hungry but the other guests had rösti and cheese fondue. There are blankets to wrap up in to keep the cold out

Get a climber feel and hike up to Hörnlihut

by iammon

If you want to get a feel of climbing the Matterhorn you can hike up to the Hörnlihut where the climbers start their trips. It is a nice 2 hour hike up ( from 2582m to 3260m) the base of Matterhorn from Schwarzsee. Up there you will find a nice mountain Restaurant with a good view and ambiance. The trail is quite rocky so you will need very good shoes.
Of course you could sleep there as well.

Comments