Seiler Hotel Schweizerhof Zermatt

Bahnhofstrasse 5 Postfach 154 (formerly "Schweizerhof Zermatt Hotel"), Sion, Valais 3920, Switzerlan
Hotel Schweizerhof

And another.....And another.....

Glacier Express to ZermattGlacier Express to Zermatt

Zermatt hotel recommendation needed

by cferrendelli

Hello - I am traveling to Zermatt by train from Zurich with my two boys (8 and 10) and my 80 year old mother in law in April. I would like to stay somewhere that has nice views but that also isn't too much walking for my mother in law and isn't outrageously priced. Any advise is appreciated. Also, things to do with my mother in law are also welcome.
Many thanks!

Re: Zermatt hotel recommendation needed

by Maryimelda

Zermatt is a wonderful little town that is reasonably easy to walk around although a little hilly in spots. There aren't a whole lot of "historical sighs" per se, but the town still has so much to offer in different ways.

I can't recommend a particular hotel that I feel would be suitable for your Mother in law as the one I stayed at was located on a hillide, however I saw many many hotels, in the flatter part of the central area of the town, all of which had attractive balconies and which I know would offer great views. After all, Zermatt is surrounded by great views, the obvious one being Miss Matterhorn which, on a clear day, can be seen from just about anywhere. You are bound to find a suitable hotel if you go to the bookings.com website, it is most reliable and has a great many choices available.

AS for entertaining you Mother in Law, I would suggest first and foremost the Matterhorn Museum which is nothing short of excellent and quite different to other museums. Your boys will love it as well. I was especially interested in roaming around the graveyards and reading the headstones which mostly told of climbers who had died on the Matterhorn and some of the other nearby mountains. The one in the grounds behind St Mauritzius Catholic Church will give you plenty of food for thought. Then if you cross the road, you will find a huge cemetery which I guess is the main one of the town. There is also another in the grounds of the English Church but it is situated high on a hill and maybe unsuitable for access by an 80 year old.

You could also have a wander around the Hinterdorf which can be found just off the main street. It is an area of old Zermatt that will give you a great idea of how it was to live there in the early days of settlement.

There should be no problem taking MIL to the Gornergrat to see the Matterhorn from a closer distance. The trains go regularly from the station across the street from the main Bahnhof. Don't waste your time and money if the weather around the Matterhorn is not clear however, as you will see nothing.

Zermatt is a car free town but you can still get around in the electric taxis or by horse and carriage if the going gets a bit heavy for you. There are also plenty of buses whch leave from in front of the Bahnhof regularly going to neighbouring towns. You can fnd out so much by visiting the Zermatt Travel pages of the members here on VT (mine included). Just click on my name above my photo and then on "Zermatt" in the travel list which begins on my homepage. I have covered the Museum and the graveyards pretty comprehensivey there as well as other bits of info which shuld be of help to you.

I'm sure you will love Zermatt, I fell in love with it on sight and would go back in a heartbeat.

Travel Tips for Zermatt

The car-free resort of Zermatt...

by Don_Camilo

The car-free resort of Zermatt is located at an altitude of 1620 m. above sea-level in the south-west of Switzerland. This idyllic village in the Matter Valley in the canton of the Valais nestles amongst fabulous scenery of mountains and glaciers and offers visitors a fantastic panorama of 33 four-thousand-metre peaks. Zermatt

Wine & Cheese...

by Cabana_Boy

The Swiss really know their cheese and they make some nice wines as well...so, I decided to do myself the favor of a sampling (or two) of wine and cheese just before boarding the train to leave Zermatt....

And there's no better place to sample the local goods than Josi Cheese & Wine...

The Third day in Zermatt dawned, the sun shone!!!

by dabidc

I am using the Off The Beaten Path section for the simple reason to celebrate the great day that my third day in Zermatt brought for me.

I will record much of the day on the Gornergrat with many photos, hopefully for your pleasure as well as mine.

I was on the train that left around 10.00am, quite full, but whaht can you expect, when the previous two days had many visitors to Zermatt wandering around town, they wanted to be out and about and on the mountains. The advice is sit on the right hand side for the ascent, for the views.

Other modes of transport...

by Maryimelda

There are buses that will take you to neighbouring towns. These leave regularly from across the road in front of the bahnhof. There are also horse and buggies that are available to use in much the same way as a taxi. Enlarge the photo of the horse and buggy to see what I mean by the caption.

Pizza Roma - cosy Italian

by sue_stone about Pizza Roma

Pizza Roma is a cosy pizzeria which was located close to our hotel in Zermatt. We wandered past it one evening when looking for somewhere for a relaxed meal, and were initially attracted by the prices, which weren't as exorbitant as neighbouring dining options. We were given a friendly welcome and shown to a snug table in a corner, close to the pizza oven. We decided not to have pizza that night, and all ordered a pasta option - the lasagne; the Spaghetti Carbonara; and the Spaghetti Bolognese. I

t certainly wasn't haute cuisine, but was entirely edible, and we happily washed it down with a carafe of house wine.

Comments