Auf dem Fels, Zermatt, Valais, 3920, Switzerland

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• ElinGlen's Profile Photo

A breathing hotel

I have just come back from my second visit to the Omnia hotel in Zermatt. I find it difficult to explain the full virute of this hotel. It is lovely, zen, a breathing hotel. Attention to detail everywhere, rooms are lovely, open and airy. bathrooms are fantastic and the balconies with view over the Matterhorn (or the "Diva" as I have also heard it been called) you can sit there on your sheepskin and watch the sun go down. The spa and pool area are very nice - specially if you manage to get there before most others. Steam batch, Turkish Bath, Sauna and a view over the Matterhorn from the Jaccuzzi. The staff remembered us from last time we were there (4 months ago) and were helpful with finding new walks for this time. The staff are always cheerful and not in a put-on way - they are naturally cheerful, when they ask you how you are - they actually want to hear about it! I cannot recommend this hotel more - it is home away from home for me and I will be back again very soon. Nothing like a weekend at the Omnia to recharge your batteries. I saw from one reviewer that they were surprised that there is not a shuttle but for the ski slopes and going out at night. The Omnia is in the middle of Zermatt, and in Switzerland we walk!

Unique Quality: A breath of fresh air with views to die for. The hotel is timber, stone and glass, perfectly matched and you can feel that it is alive. (in a good way)

More about The Omnia

Eindhoven july 2004 d

by catnl

Wilfred used a lot of water to make this path all muddy for the slidings

oh yeah there he goes!

At the big Roman event on JUly 18th, the group of Biskupin had a stand with old handcraft and attributes

Yurek making coins from copper and showing visitors of our museum how to make it

Omnia a music group who entertained at the festival

Matterhorn and RiffelseeMatterhorn and Riffelsee

Lovely spot for a rest....Lovely spot for a rest....

Back of church taken from the graveyard......Back of church taken from the graveyard......

The final cable car approachingThe final cable car approaching

Naples to Zermatt -- Transportation and Lodging questions

by chipferfree

Hello -- I'm from the US and have a business trip to Naples Italy in early December. I have several questions:

1) is skiing in Zermatt good in early December?

2) if yes -- how best should I get from Naples to Zermatt?

3) how long will it take to travel from Naples to Zermatt?

4) where should I stay for lodging?

5) can you easily rent equipment at or near the slopes?

6) What else should I know?

By the way -- I'm an inexperienced traveler but a highly skilled skier. I want to maximize my time on aggressive trails -- night life is not really what I'm after. I'll just want an inexpensive place to crash at night...

by margsch

Train would be your only option into Zermatt, no cars allowed. Stunning scenery but a price to match, if you need to ask you can,t afford it. I would suggest Austria as an alternative, not nearly as expensive. There won,t be much snow about in early December I wouldn,t think but locals will know and answer on here. Look at some Hotel websites such as tripadvisor.

by chipferfree

Thanks for the quick reply -- looks like early December is just too early for most of the resorts. Oh well -- I'll ski Vail when I get back to the US, but thank you again!

by Agraichen

If you like Vail, you can afford Zermatt. If snow is an issue head for the glaciers. Check out the Jungfrau while "in county." I skied there (not much) in August.

by K_V_B

Why go all the way to Zermatt to ski? There is some good skiing to be had in Italy as well. Getting to Zermatt from Italy will be quite a trek since you're starting at the wrong side of the alps.
If you still want to go to Zermatt you might want to look in to taking a night train from Naples to Milan. This might also be the best option if you choose to head for an Italian resort. From Milan you can reach Zermatt in about three hours. The best place to look up train times is the DB website: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en. Book your tickets in Naples at the station or a travel agent.
Even though it's early there might be some good skiing already. The weatherforcast for the alps for this weekend is heavy snow, with up to two meters of fresh snow expected up in the mountains.

by AlmostSwiss

As discussed by previous posters, train to Zermatt. Probably going to be in the line of 5-6 hours all up.

Zermatt has high altitude glacier sloes well open. As does Saas Fee. Saas Fee may be a little cheaper and probably has more variety in slopes.

The local early season skiers have been saying great things about the Stubaier Glacier area in Austria. Also Sölden (where the world cup was just held, so yes they are open!) has a lot of slopes open.

This web page keeps a current list of open runs for glacier ski regions. http://alpinwiki.alpinforum.com/index.php/Gletschersaison_2008

Currently it is listing a lot of open runs in many regions. (only German, but easy to follow)

Also, worth checking out is Obergurgl (also Austria): http://www.obergurgl.com/ Apparently well into season.
All of these Austrian resorts are close to Innsbruck. Very easily accessed by train (or car) via the Brenner Pass. Definitely go skiing while you are out here. You will kick yourself if you don't.

Have fun!

by K_V_B

For the next weeks the best skiing in Switzerland will probably be in the Grisons area. We now know a bit more about the snowfall that is expected for the next days, and huge amounts of snow are currently forecast for the norther and eastern Swiss Alps. Zermatt is in the southwest and will get less.

Travel Tips for Zermatt

TAMDEM PARAGLIDING

by pcg821

ALPINE ADVENTURES ZERMATT

A extreme sport that you can take part in no matter of your age.Tandem paragliding is fun,exciting,and you feel as free as a bird.In Zermatt the views of the Matterhorn and the areial views of Zermatt and the valley are beautiful to view,The take off area that I when to was easy to get to by cable car and 5 minute walk on gravel road to flight area.There is a weight limited but RONNIE my pilot say they can fly people up to 265 pounds.They have a few different take off area's and price is determined by the height you fly from,and they fly summer and winter but it depends on wind and weather.It's a feeling you will never forget.I did not know what to expect when we harnessed up for flight,but a few steps down the hill the glider raised up and you must keep moving forward here then within about 5 more steps we were airborne,it was amazing.This was the perfect way to end my stay in Zermatt.
They have and office in Viktoria Center opposite the Zermatt train station,but generally no one is there during the day only from 4pm-7pm.It's best to call ,your call will go to the pilot when not in the office.
EMAIL; info@alpine-adventures-zermatt.com
Mobile: +41 (0)796436808 hiking boots ,no sneakers.gloves,jacket with zipper pockets you can't drop anything.video or still camera,sunglasses

Stellisee

by sandysmith

Well it was an unplanned trip from Saas Fee during our holiday in July 2004 that brought us back for a day trip to Zermatt. The weather was perfect we had 7 hours and I knew exactly which walk I wanted to do - the five lakes tour!

We took the underground funicular to Sunegga again, then the cale-car to Blauherd and another to the Rothorn. From here we gradually walked all the way down to Zermatt and enjoyed most of the 5 lake views :-)))
The Stellisee (2536m) must be one of the most photogenic places to capture the Matterhorn. A few ripples on the lake meant not quite a reflection but it was so beautiful here I did not mind and couldn't complain with such a picture postcard landscape.

BAHN - TRAIN to Zermatt

by Pakistaniguy

This is the Main Railway Station of Zermatt. You will arrive here after taking a train either from Brig or Täsch & parking your car in Car Parking places. Atleast, this is what we did and this is what is common.

Hiking!

by anne77

Zermatt is a hikers' paradise! There are so many different options in Zermatt... A lot of different hiking trails to choose from. There is also the option take the "lift" up and climb down.

We went to the Schwarzsee, which was really beautiful! A great view of the Matterhorn, glaciers, flowers, butterflies, cows, tourists, etc.

There are many roads that lead to the Schwarzsee, the way we took up was a lot nicer (and longer!) than the direct route we took to get back down.

Cross the village, and go strait (don't turn left), there will be many signs on the way. It took us about 4hrs hiking up, taking the long way. Shorter and more direct way, count 3hrs.

At the top, there is a restaurant with a terrasse, where you have a beautiful view of the Matterhorn

Comments