La Perla

The train station in LuganoThe train station in Lugano

Lugano, the lake and Mt. BrèLugano, the lake and Mt. Brè

Day Trips from Lugano ?

Hello everyone,
Are there are any organized day trips from Lugano to Jungfrau/lucerine region?
Please share any info you have. We will have one or two days in Milan-italy , we would like to see one part of switzerland especially interlaken or lucerine area.
Thanks in advance

Re: Day Trips from Lugano ?

by sbmmava

Thank you so much, Can we do these train trips in one day from Lugano or Milan?do you any idea how much it costs for train trip from Milan to either Lucerine or interlaken area.
Thanks again

Re: Day Trips from Lugano ?

by sbmmava

Thank you, we could stay one night but I was looking for hotels, they seem too expensive. I might have to research more. Two days swiss pass would be economical than buying individual tickets? I heard kids are half price or free if you buy swiss pass for adults.
thanks again for your replies.

Travel Tips for Lugano

Tourist Office

by yumyum

The tourist office is open from November until March as follows: Monday - Friday 9 am till 12 am and 2 pm till 5.30 pm and on Saturday from 10 am till 12.30 pm and 1.30 pm till 5 pm. They have a container by the door with free maps when they are closed (provided they haven't run out). The tourist office has longer opening times in summer.

Location: Riva Albertolli street in the Palazzo Civico

The website is www.lugano-tourism.ch

LUGANO de A a Z...

by nygaston

LUGANO, Switzerland -- I needed a cup of good strong coffee . . . something to get me going after the four-hour bus ride from St. Moritz.

So, with friends at the Golf, our favorite coffee bar (near Parco Ciani), we sipped cappuccino and planned an itinerary for the next few days.

Unlike the rest of Switzerland, the atmosphere here is mainly Mediterranean. Trust me when I say that the Ticino, Switzerland's only Italian-speaking canton, is where the country comes alive. It's Italian lifestyle with Swiss efficiency . . . the best of both worlds.

And as we sat with our second cups of coffee, the warm lake breezes -- sweetened by a blend of mimosa, oleander, magnolias, figs, lemons, persimmons, and even palms -- came wafting through the arcade. It was good to be back. I was alert to the conversation, taking notes, and sipping cappuccino, yet my mind kept wandering back to St. Moritz and to a discussion I had a few nights earlier with two US travel agents. Actually, it was a one-sided discussion: me trying to convince them that Lugano, Locarno, Ascona, et al. were not in Italy, but part of the only Swiss canton on the south side of the Alps.

For additional information, write to the Swiss National Tourist Office, 608 Fifth Ave., New York, NY 10020; or telephone 212-757-5944.

Santa Maria degli Angeli Church

by ealgisi

Take the road direction Rivera and when you reach the highway entrance, there you are.
In the middle of a big field you will see a cable car station that will bring you right on top of Monte Tamaro.

The church Santa Maria degli Angeli designed by the world famous architect Mario Botta, a wonder of contemporary architecture, with the paintings of Enzo Cucchi.

The church is dedicated to Santa Maria degli Angeli, builded during 1992 and 1994 presents an innovative feature in the sphere of planning a religious building.
Realized in porphyry, she is located on a slope on which end opens a straordinary panoramic view.

Flying with Crossair

by egonwegh

Getting there: by plane. In 1989 I flew from Amsterdam to Zurich - my first flight ever! From Zurich I took a Crossair plane to Agno airport not far from Lugano. I took a cab to the hotel. The Crossair plane was extremely small, the hostess could not walk straight, she had to bend over (No kidding!). Fascinating flight across the Alps.
Getting around: on foot mostly, and by means of a so-called cog railway to the top of San Salvatore, where there's a small chapel...

Unexpected piece of paradise for you

by nygaston

SOFT and WARM as in ITALY
ROMANTIC as in PARIS

JAZZ FESTIVAL in JULY
FIRE WORKS in AUGUST
WINE TASTING

A little piece of paradise for you and me.

BOAT TRIPS