Hotel Du Chamois

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

Travel Tips for Château-d'Oex

swiss village in lovely valley of snow

by angiebabe

"Swiss Village surrounded by snow - Feb 2003"

My first visit to Chateau D'oex was in February 2003 and it was a swiss village in a valley surrounded by snow - loads of snow!! I was visiting with a Swiss acquaintance who had been there before and knew her way around and as the ski field wasnt operating for the day we planned to ski we walked over the hill through deep snow towards Gstaad.

Which was a great experience - and great views and pics!

"Returning Jan 2007 - no snow and no balloons!"

I was able to geet off my train at Gstaad for half an hour and see the place again, especially too to get some digital pics of the town cute and prestigious town id visited 4 years before!
Arrived at my accommodation - the Chateau D'oex youth hostel where id stayed before - and its a great place to stay, meals included, and run by friendly and outgoing staff.
Due to high winds though the hot air balloons hadnt been able to lift off so i used my train pass to go see lovely Montreux and Lausanne again! The whole area is beautiful - the Golden Panoramic train route and the views over Lake Lausanne are stunning!
Arriving back in the dark to a meal and excellent local wine kept for me by the kind staff.

"So i stayed an extra day in case they flew.....!!!"

And how exciting!! The hot air balloons were in action and from our hostel room we had the best view in the house!!

My room mate had been several years running for the balloon week and was happily reading out her checks from the programme catalogue which balloon was flown by who!

I indulged and spent the next 4 hours taking photos of balloons around and over Chateau D'oex!!!
Thank goodness the train system in Switzerland is so efficient and fast that i had nothing to worry about leaving on the 315 train and getting back to Basel for my flight with heaps of time to still see more of Basel!! (and more stunning scenery of the Golden Panoramic train route along the way back!)

Comments