Hotel Wettstein

Satisfaction Average

More about Basel

view downstreamview downstream

Victoria houseVictoria house

Petersgasse elevator by nightPetersgasse elevator by night

The Rhine River in BaselThe Rhine River in Basel

Basel VT Meet, Autumn.

Dear travelers,

This forum is dedicated to our Basel VT meet in November, 2008.

My suggested dates are 29th, 30th of November and 6th and 7th of December, during the Weihnachtsstadt Basel.

The details plan on the meeting is still open for suggestions. I was thinking to do one of the famous Basel 3-countries trip, or just stroll around the city, or the vicinity Basel Land, or some late autumn hike (but the cold weather is a concern).

So, veteran Swiss VT members, please recommend what's in your mind. I'm just a 2 year-old alien novice in Switzerland. :)

Please feel free to post your available and preferred date and I will set up in meeting page accordingly.

Cheers,
James

ps. This meeting in opened for all travelers. It's an all-day event.

by yumyum

I can only 6th or 7th December because the weekend before is the Glühwein meeting in Karlsruhe!

by barbskie

i'm looking forward to this upcoming meet. i'll check my agenda first. thanks.

by Kathrin_E

Exactly. The world-famous ;-) Glühwein meeting takes place in Karlsruhe on the last weekend in November.

I'm not sure where I'll be on the first weekend in December, so I'm not able to say yes or no at the moment.

by Tripack

Come on James, you are a Basler insider now!
The last week-end of November I will be in London so I vote for the December week-end if the skiing season is still not opened ;-)
Greetings from the Snowy Alps!

by JamesWtc

Ok. Seems that most people favour 1st weekend of December, so, I'll set up an event in the meeting page soon. I'll keep you posted.

Any idea what do you want to do? Basel is small enough to travel for whole day, so, please let me know what do you prefer to do on cold december day.

by yumyum

I would prefer the 6th and not too early in the morning. If it's cold I don't want to hang around outside all day long.

by HORSCHECK

Hello all,

Of course I am more than interested to join this international Swiss VT meeting, but unfortunately I will be busy on both the suggested weekends.

The last November weekend is reserved for the annual Karlsruhe Glühwein VT Meeting and on the first weekend in December the xmas party of my company department is scheduled.

HORSCHECK

by barbskie

Well, have to find my luck next time ;) the 6th of Dec is reserved for Strasburg. Sunday the 7th is not sure.

by yumyum

Maybe we better do the whole thing in lovely sunny spring weather. The way it looks now snow is coming this week and Patrick probably is off skiing anyway.

by Tripack

Yeah!!! Snow is coming soon... can't wait to open the skiing season ;-)
I agree spring time will be better to enjoy the city life.

Greetings from the fresh snowy Swiss Alps!

by JamesWtc

Oh yeah... I think so. December is another holiday season and everyone's is not in mood too. ;)

What about we do Sion first, then basel in Spring?

Travel Tips for Basel

Take the unpowered ferry...

by marca

Take the unpowered ferry across the Rhine. If the water was warmer I would of liked to jump in the river upstream and float back to town. Plenty of locals were doing it but the water was to cold for me. I found Basel to be a very pretty small city. I did have a friend who lives there to show us around. Explore the narrow and hilly side streets. I am fasinated by Roman artifacts. There are ruins of a Roman military site not to far from town. You can explore the museum, walk around the generals house, the amphitheater, temple and other historical sites.

Berri-Mailbox

by german_eagle

I noticed there are some mailboxes in Basel with special design. One of them I saw at the former city gate Spalentor, another next to the so called Stadthaus (corner Schneidergasse and Totengässlein), and yet another in Riehen near the parish church.

They were designed by Melchior Berri (1801-54), one of the most important architects of Classicism in Switzerland. He built e.g. the building for the Museum on Natural History close to the Münster church. He also created the stamp called Basler Dybli (Dybli = Basel dialect for pigeon). The "Dybli" is to see on the mailbox as well (see picture).

Water for the city

by dutchboycalledjan

Monks and citizens of Basel created a canal to divert water into the city. From Münchenstein - which means 'Monks house' to St-Albans Vorstad you can walk along this St-Albans Teich (dyke) (or the other way, but this way you do not have to climb). You can start at the Botanical Garden (Tram 10, Grün 80) or from St. Jakob (Tramline 14). There are two ugly points: when crossing the high way by a tunnel (and train). On the way you can visit the gardens of a former 'house'. The track is marked with these small yellow signs.

Spalen fountain

by german_eagle

Basel has a huge number of fountains. One of them, and a very beautiful one, is the Spalen fountain, right next to the Spalentor city gate.

It depicts a man playing the bagpipe. This motif is very popular in Switzerland (see Bern) and goes back to a drawing of Albrecht Dürer.

The relief with dancing folks at the bottom of the column is made after a picture of Hans Holbein.

Cycling in Basel

by Nemorino

Photos:
1. Bicycle route signs on the Rhine River
2. My rental bike by the Rhine, across the river from the Museum Tinguely
3. Cyclist near Schifflände
4. Cyclist at Fischmarkt

At last count 23 % of the journeys within the city of Basel were done by bicycle -- a very good percentage compared with Frankfurt's 9 % for example, though Amsterdam has around 30 % and Copenhagen nearly 40 %.

Comments