Muenchnerhof

food at Krafft'sfood at Krafft's

Fan Zone BaselFan Zone Basel

How To Get To Alexander Hotel

by abielregencia

It's just my first time going to Basel. Please help me how I can get to Alexander Hotel from Basel Airport. I would appreciate if you can give me instructions on how to get there by bus. How much would I pay if I take the bus and please give me an idea how much would it cost me if I take a cab.

Thank you very much.

Hi,
best option is to take the airport-bus to Basel Central Railwaystation SBB; from there take the tram number 2 to "Messeplatz" (Basel Fair) and change there to tram number 14 to "Riehenring"
Hotel Alexander is at Riehenring # 83/85
A taxi from the airport is expensive and will cost about CHF 40,-
Good Luck !

Sir,

I'm very delighted for your reply, Mr. WStat. It's so kind of you to entertain my inquiry. The info that you just gave me is very helpful and I'll take note of that.

Again, thank you very much.

by WStat

Thanks for your nice reply; if you need any other informations (yet, I'm not Swiss, but have travelled many times to Basel),pls don't hesitate to contact me ! Greetings from Vienna!

Thank you.

I still have another question, though. How much tip do we normally give in Europe? I was just thinking that people might say something if I don't give tips. I don't really have much, but I also don't want to feel different and make other people unpleased.

By the way, if God permits me to work there, I would also love to visit Austria.

Hi,
I'm personally rather restrictive with tips, but try to give a small tip if service and /or friendlyness has been above average. I think, that the old rule "10% of the
bill " is much too high, taking into account the rather high prices for lunch or dinner. I'd rather give, say, 1-1,50 EUR or CHF.
In Switzerland as well as in other European countries a tip of 10-155 is already included in the bill. You find it printed on the bill, but may also ask. Then a small or no tip will be ok. If there is NO tip included, you might give some 5% or more.
As to work permit in Austria: do not rely on God, better try to get a permit of the not so friendly Austrian Ministry of Interior !
Greetings!

Sir,

Getting these tips from you is indeed very kind.

Anyway, you have given me the basic info that would be very helpful for a first-timer like me.

Thank you very much.

Travel Tips for Basel

Fun at the Money Exchange

by cjg1

My fondest memory from my first trip here was at the currency counter in the railway station in February 1997. We had a good idea we were in Switzerland but didnt know for sure. My friend Mike goes to get some money. The teller asks what currency he would like and he says 'ah????, Local.' She replies 'oh then you want Swiss francs?'

The only Protestant carnival in the world

by csordila

The carnival is the largest spectacle of Basel since 1376 according to the earliest records. The procession is beginning on the Monday following the Ash Wednesday and last until three day every year. It begins with the traditional Morgenstraich parade. For three days, the city is in turmoil, living to the sound of thousands of piccolos, drums and an atmosphere like no other. On the carnival also the "Kingdom of Lepmuria" probably takes part, which of course is no real place just a carnival group.

the 3 municipalities

by fabrice

in the "canton" Basel-Stadt , there are in fact 3 towns : Basel the very big one , Riehen 20 000 people and Bettingen , about 1300
I went by foot through Basel , then Riehen , and Lörrach(germany)

After wandering around the...

by sarahkathryn

After wandering around the Munster, taking in it's architecture, peace and serenity, walk round the back of the building to the Pfalz. This is a shady area at the top of the cliff over looking the Rhine and there are beautiful views over the city and to Germany's Black Forrest. The view from here is particularly special at night.

SBB train station

by Myndo

The Bahnhof Basel SBB or Zentralbahnhof (Central station) is switzerlands second largest train station (the biggest one would be Zurich Main Station) and has another speciality: it has like the airport two parts: one swiss, one french. That french part is also called Basel SNCF. To get there, you have to pass through customs.

Trains that go to French destinations start in the french part of the train station. Trains for destinations in Switzerland from the swiss part. If you go to german destinations, you will also start here, but some more regional trains to Germany go from Basels other train station, the Badischer Bahnhof (I will add a tip later)

The facade that you can see in the picture is neo baroque and was built between 1905 and 1907.
Behind said facade a lot of things have changed, though. A lot was renovated and modernised. The complex can be found under the name "rail city Basel" in the net. It offers 24 hours shopping, a pharmacy, toilets, showers, luggage storage, bike rental etc etc

The train station has a big car park, a parking special for bicycles (better use them, wrong parked bicycles will be taken away by the police, locked or not). The following trams and buses go through the huge tram station in the front: 1,2,3,8,10,11, also the buses 30 and 50.
Bus 50 is the one that brings you to/from the airport.

Comments