Brienz Hotels

• globetrott profile photo globetrott
  • Reviews: 7767

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Alpengasthof Axalp: a cosy hotel at Brienz/Axalp, above Giessbach

Alpengasthof was built completely by wood, only at some few points of the foundations there are small concrete-blocks. Living in such a wooden building is really interesting, because it is a lot more cosy than a modern building. Alpengasthof is my favorite hotel and restaurant, simply because this hotel has a special meaning to me :It was called "Kurhaus Axalp" before,and there I started my carreer in the hotelbusiness plenty of years ago. I was a young austrian student looking for a well-payed job and it is a lot of fun for me today to think back of my first severe struggles with the terrible Swiss-german-dialect and hundreds of young skiers, driving me crazy with their orders....

The hotel includes also a seperate part with rooms for school-classes and big parties for up to 50 persons, sleeping in large rooms with just lots of matresses. Arvenstube is a cosy seperate room of the restaurant, you may smell the special kind of wood that was used to build the walls of this room : ARVE is some sort of a pine-tree that grows mainly in Switzerland.
------------------------------------------------

Important update Dec. 2010:
This hotel is closed (hopefully not forever!!!)
just a link for myself

• globetrott profile photo globetrott
  • Reviews: 7767

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Baeren: centrally located and directely at Brienzersee

Hotel Baeren is my favorite hotel in the centre of Brienz. It is next to the lake, with a big terrace overlooking Brienzersee and there is even a small Marina next to the hotel, so this makes the perfect place for people loving the watersports. In the classification of Swiss Hotels it has only 2 stars, but that should not bother you, because the rules for the stars are a lot more severe than in other countries.

You may book an AYURVEDA-treatment in the hotel - a seperate part of the building is reserved for it ! It was always great to have lunch or dinner in Hotel Baeren, while I was working in that area. Brienzer Felchen ( a small fish) was my favorite.

• Opinion of Price: about average