Gimmelwald, Switzerland

Booking.com Priceline.com HostelBookers.com

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Possibly the best view in the world

I didn't stay here because I had to catch a train from Interlaken at 7.30 the following morning but as I'd read about this hostel on VT, went to have a look for myself. It's everything that's been said about it and more and must surely have one of the most beautiful and dramatic locations of any hostel world wide. I chatted for a while with two people staying at the hostel and they recommended it 100% for its comfort, prime location for hiking and of course its economical room prices.

Another really nice looking B&B I passed is Olle and Maria's: oeggimann@bluewin.ch - ++ (0) 33 855 35 75.

Information on all Gimmelwalds pensions and Guesthouses can be head from Gimmelwald Tourism : ++41 (0) 33855 33 81

Directions: Just a few minutes from the cable car station at Gimmlewald until you see the Mountain Hostel sign.

• Bauchou's Profile Photo

Definitely worth the trip!

The service was great! The owners, Petra and Walter Brunner, Are wonderful! They provide beer, wine, an assortment of groceries and pizza for sale. There are no private rooms. There are separate male and female rooms, but there is one mixed room called the Lover's Room. This is where my brother and I stayed! There are several bunk beds in this room; each sleeps 4 people on the top and bottom. We shared a bottom bunk with a couple we befriended. Amazing views out of every window!! There is a picnic table just outside where we enjoyed the breathtaking scenery during our meals! It is very quiet in Gimmelwald. You will likely see some sheep, dogs and goats wandering the single dirt road through the little village. A fairytale place!

Unique Quality: Incredible view to wake up to every morning! Could possibly be one of the most beautiful places in the world! The hostel is close to a gorgeous hiking trail to the peak of Schilthorn (elev. 9744ft), which has a revolving restaurant at the top where part of a James bond movie was filmed. There are laundry facilities, internet, pool table, and a self-serve kitchen (you can bring your own food).

Directions: From Interlaken, take the Interlaken Ost--Lauterbrunnen train. Cross tracks and walk about 75yds to your right and board the Lauterbrunnen--Stechelberg bus. You will end up at the goldola station. Get off at the first stop.

• broadoak2006's Profile Photo

Stupendous Views !!

solid wooden Dormitories
    self-serve Kitchen
    GREAT VIEWS
    no curfew
    friendly staff

Unique Quality: Some of the best views in Europe !!

More about Gimmelwald

Meadows and mountains in GimmelwaldMeadows and mountains in Gimmelwald

Cable car arriving at GimmelwaldCable car arriving at Gimmelwald

Olle and Maria's Bed and BreakfastOlle and Maria's Bed and Breakfast

travel From France to Gimmelwald, Switzerland

by dazzling_blue_eyes

Hello,
What is the best way to travel From Nice (or Monaco), France to Gimmelwald, Switzerland?
Looking to save money AND time. Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!!

by riorich55

I may want to do this trip in a couple of years and since my favorite in Switzerland thus far is Lauterbrunnen (near Gimmelwald) this is what I found.

There is a small regional airline based out of Geneva, Switzerland called Baboo. There website is www.flybaboo.com. As far as I could tell they have one morning and one evening flight out of Nice to Geneva. The prices vary of course, but I looked at a one way next week and it was 66 Euros for the cheapest. The flight is 1 hour.

From Geneva you would then go to Interlaken and then onto Lauterbrunnen and then catch a smaller train or cable car up to Gimmelwald. The train ride from Geneva to Interlaken and then onto Lauterbrunnen would cost about 48 Euros without any type of discount card. The rail time would be about 3 hours and then another 1/2 hour to Lauterbrunnen.

by dazzling_blue_eyes

Oh my THANK GOODNESS FOR YOU!! Thank you soooo much! I appreciate your input so much...I was starting to feel so lost (and broke). I loved your step-by-step directions :)

Take care, and have a wonderful trip!

by riorich55

To finish off your travel plans from Lauterbrunnen you will take a bus across the Lauterbrunn Valley to Stechelberg and then get on an Aerial Tramway (Cable Car) to Gimmelwald.

by riorich55

Greg, Have you ever flown on Baboo Air. It looked quite interesting from everything I read.

by K_V_B

The fastest train on Nice - Geneve takes a bit over six hours. The fastest route by train is via Milano and Brig. The route is quite scenic, but still very long, and you'll arrive in Gimmelwald quite late. Flying to Geneva and train from there is probably the best option.

Travel Tips for Gimmelwald

Meadows for Heidi Fans

by Ekaterinburg

All my early images of Switzerland came from the wonderful words and images in Johanna Spry's Heidi. As a child I read that book over and over and The Grandfather and Peter the Goatherd were as real to me as my own family. The descriptions of meadows swimming in Alpine flowers, I particularly loved and when I got the chance to visit, finding such a meadow and lying down surrounded by wildflowers was high on my priority list. Gimmelwald was so like the Switzerland described by Johanna Spry that it was really a dream come true. After inspecting and rejecting several meadows, I finally found the perfect one, halfway down the mountain side and had my Heidi moment. The flowers were in full psychedelic glory, the goat and cow bells were tinkling and in my eyeline, nothing but mountains and waterfalls. Switzerland, as I had imagined it . Perfect!

Small Village Mentality

by Jmill42

Gimmelwald is a stop along the Schilthorn gondola, which takes you to the James Bond Observatory (really a restaurant). And, if you look at the surrounding "villages" they are all well developed. So what happened to Gimmelwald? Do the people stink? Nope. (But their cows do)

Due to one of the residents genius of designating the area an ÔÇťavalanche zone", the area is thought to be too dangerous for tourism building projects. So while these tourism proponents want to kill that guy, the people of the village get to enjoy peace and serenity. With their cows.

The Hills are Alive with the Sound of .... GOATS

by Ekaterinburg

Goats, goats and more goats. Peter the Goatherd would not be short of work in Gimmelwald. There were lots of friendly goats, some as I passed through the village and the nicest ones of all, on the track I followed outside in the direction of Lauterbrunnen. Goats and cows wear bells here and the hills are truly alive with the sound of music. These constantly pealing bells sound like multiple windchimes tinkling: brittle, clinky sounds from the goats smaller bells and deep, sonic boom from the cows. I didn't see any cows in Gimmelwald but waiting for the cable car I could here them on pastures high above me. What a change from the sounds of traffic and people. Absolute music to the ears.

Logs and Logsheds

by Ekaterinburg

Another iconic image of Switzerland is the log shed close to the house and carefully stacked piles of logs to warm fingers and toes throughout the long winter snows. In Gimmelwald every house had it's log pile. Some stacked under overhanging balconies, most in openended barn-like shelters close to the house. These were just gorgeous and I hope you can get a sense of this from the photos. I noticed that in some cases the logs were stacked in certain ways, making a distinct pattern and this reminded me a little of Ireland's tradition of skilled stone stacking in our dry-stone walls. The first photo is a close up of a perfectly arranged stack of logs and the second shows a really picturesque log shed in the meadow nearby.

Cosy Swiss Houses

by Ekaterinburg

Despite the snow capped peaks and icy rivers and waterfalls, my most abiding impression of Switzerland was one of cosiness. Once the train left Basel, the countryside was dotted with wooden chalet-type houses, most of them decorated with scarlet geraniums in pots and baskets. On my stroll through Gimmelwald I got lots of chances to examine these houses close up and found I was continually visualising them covered with snow. The sloping roofs and deep overhanging verandas are obviously designed to keep the snow away from the doors and windows and the piles of logs I mentioned in the preceding tip, all contribute to this image of a warm, cosy haven, protected from the elements. Not too hard to think again of Heidi and the desciptions of her bed in the attic full of fragrant hay. Imagine my delight when I eventually came to a barn with hay, clearly visible through the boards on the upper floor. I think, one of the hostels here offers sleeping on the hay as an accommodation option. What an excellent idea.

Comments