Mountain Hostel

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 3 reviews

Tags

Budget Travel Hiking and Walking National/State Park
Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Possibly the best view in the world

by written on July 19, 2008

I didn't stay here because I had to catch a train from Interlaken at 7.30 the following morning but as I'd read about this hostel on VT, went to have a look for myself. It's everything that's been said about it and more and must surely have one of the most beautiful and dramatic locations of any hostel world wide. I chatted for a while with two people staying at the hostel and they recommended it 100% for its comfort, prime location for hiking and of course its economical room prices.

Another really nice looking B&B I passed is Olle and Maria's: oeggimann@bluewin.ch - ++ (0) 33 855 35 75.

Information on all Gimmelwalds pensions and Guesthouses can be head from Gimmelwald Tourism : ++41 (0) 33855 33 81

Directions: Just a few minutes from the cable car station at Gimmlewald until you see the Mountain Hostel sign.

Bauchou's Profile Photo

Definitely worth the trip!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 26, 2007

The service was great! The owners, Petra and Walter Brunner, Are wonderful! They provide beer, wine, an assortment of groceries and pizza for sale. There are no private rooms. There are separate male and female rooms, but there is one mixed room called the Lover's Room. This is where my brother and I stayed! There are several bunk beds in this room; each sleeps 4 people on the top and bottom. We shared a bottom bunk with a couple we befriended. Amazing views out of every window!! There is a picnic table just outside where we enjoyed the breathtaking scenery during our meals! It is very quiet in Gimmelwald. You will likely see some sheep, dogs and goats wandering the single dirt road through the little village. A fairytale place!

Unique Quality: Incredible view to wake up to every morning! Could possibly be one of the most beautiful places in the world! The hostel is close to a gorgeous hiking trail to the peak of Schilthorn (elev. 9744ft), which has a revolving restaurant at the top where part of a James bond movie was filmed. There are laundry facilities, internet, pool table, and a self-serve kitchen (you can bring your own food).

Directions: From Interlaken, take the Interlaken Ost--Lauterbrunnen train. Cross tracks and walk about 75yds to your right and board the Lauterbrunnen--Stechelberg bus. You will end up at the goldola station. Get off at the first stop.

broadoak2006's Profile Photo

self-serve Kitchen
GREAT VIEWS
no curfew
friendly staff

Unique Quality: Some of the best views in Europe !!

Nearby Mountain Hostel

Mountain Hostel

• Mountain Hotel Gimmelwald

Address: Gimmelwald, Switzerland

10 Photos of Mountain Hostel

View Professional Photos

Gimmelwald Travel Forum

Need advice about Gimmelwald, Switzerland? Visit the Travel Forum for Gimmelwald and ask our Answer Gurus.