4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Grindelwald Village, Grindelwald, Jungfrau Region, 3818, Switzerland

Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 71% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Beautiful Views and Amazing Service - Hotel

This is one of my favorite stops in all of Europe. I stumbled across this site while planning my fourth trip to Grindelwald - staying at the Belvedere yet again. This hotel offers the best service and the most amazing views! I cannot recommend this enough. I would go yearly if weren't for the flight cost from Chicago, IL.....enjoy.

More about Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel

Exceeded Expectations!

by TripAdvisor Member DNIrving

Having traveled all over Switzerland for many years, staying mostly in 4-star hotels, my husband and I would like to share our conclusion with others that the Boutique Hotel Belvedere Grindelwald enthusiastically gets our top rating of all [www.belvedere-grindelwald.ch]. Communications during the reservation period were instantaneous, thorough, accurate and accommodating. We found the hotel within steps of the main train station in the center of Grindelwald, and were overwhelmed with the staff’s personable greetings and detailed information upon arrival. From the balcony of our junior suite we looked directly out on the famous and glorious massive mountain ranges encircling Grindelwald, including the Eiger (with the Jungfrau behind it), the Mannlichen, the First, the Wetterhorn and the Schreckhorn – many of which we tremendously enjoyed hiking around during our summer vacation. The room was carefully decorated in a fine blend of beautiful traditional and contemporary furnishings, with much more space and quality than usually found in similar rated hotels; the bathroom was spotless and huge. We loved especially the friendly greetings to hotel guests at a weekly reception (and even during evening dinners), the delicious tea service in the massive and eloquent lobby every afternoon, and the indoor pool and outside salt water jacuzzi to soothe our aching muscles after long and spectacular hikes! Beautiful art, lovely antique prints of local scenes, and personal photos and historical artifacts of this century-old Swiss family hotel on the walls and in the corridors constituted a lovely and welcome invitation to learn even more about Grindelwald and the Hauser family legacy there. But our most favorite of all were the incredible – and I mean incredible – magnificent daily meals. Breakfast choices were quite extensive (including eggs), while the eloquent (and eloquently served) dinners were simply exquisite! During two weeks no two six-course dinners were alike; each was sophisticatedly imaginative, with sauces and ingredients rarely found in any Swiss kitchen and cooked to absolute perfection. Many alternatives were also offered. Just to indulge in such meals was an experience in itself – and all consistently accompanied by truly personable service, a magnificent concert maestro at the piano, and the Hauser’s hand-picked finest Valaise wine to celebrate their 100-year anniversary! We can’t recommend this fantastic hotel enough!

Dr. D. N. Irving
Washington, D.C.
U.S.A.
DNIrving@aol.com

Felt like 2nd class guests

by TripAdvisor Member dp_in_UK

I have never been so upset with my treatment at a hotel, but i will try to give an objective review. To be fair the hotel itself is nice and has lovely views. The pool area is good and the outside jacuzzi is a nice touch.

Everything started out fine with a welcome drink and then we were taken to our room, which I had booked through Swiss Quality Hotels. I was taken aback at the size of the room as well as our lack of balcony. (I was sure all of the rooms had one.) When we tried to find out if we could have a mountain view room they offered to switch for 190 ch more. When I went out for a walk later I looked at the hotel and saw that ours was the only one without balcony or windows on two sides of the room. Inquiring at the front desk why we had the only room without a balcony I was rudely told that I should have booked through the hotel. While I was upset about having the absolutely worst room in the hotel (also next to spa entrance so people going in and out all of the time) I was more upset about the utter lack of respect I was given by this staff member.

Our other big gripe was the "classing" of guests for breakfast. You could not sit anywhere you wanted - even if open, the window seats (or even anything on the mountain view side of the buffet) were reserved for guests having breakfast and dinner with the hotel. How ridiculous is that? We were seated near the buffet on the city view side when there were at least 8 tables open near the other window.

Other minor complaints - no toiletries (a four star hotel?) and advertising a fitness room when they had converted it to a massage room.

Obviously this hotel does not live up to its motto - "a touch of class".

A jewel in the Alps

by TripAdvisor Member JoyL

This was our second summer at the Belvedere, and it just keeps getting better . . this year they added an outdoor jacuzzi the likes of which I've never seen, really remarkable. The staff is welcoming and friendly, and NEVER seem to lose their patience . . the walks in the area are wonderful and the staff helped us plan our day, everyday, with a smile. The food is lovely, they are extremely accomodating if you don't find something on the menu, they'll cook you what you like. Grindelwald is really the nicest location in the swiss alps, not too high, and you have the option of going down to interlaken and the surrounding lakes on days where the weather isn't great. ALWAYS book through the hotel, they have special packages with a weekly lift and train pass, half board, and in general, it's just better to do it that way . . . have fun!!

Lovely Hotel, Great Facilities

by TripAdvisor Member Lady-Bettina

We stayed here over the New Year holiday, and, of course, to ski.
It was my first time in Switzerland, though I have skiied on many previous occasions.

Grindelwald was a typical winter ski/ summer outdoor pursuits type of village - small enough to be friendly, but bustling enough to have a few bars, hotels, 2 supermarkets and several restaurants and cafes.

Though from the outside the hotel does look modern, it is actually approx 100 years old, as many photos throughout the buildings show - it's just that extra wings have been added and the whole thing spruced up.
Our room was of above average size, and the bathroom too. (bidet and double sink, also a great shower and bath) lovely decor, and the beds were fantastic!

Service at reception, and from the ski bus driver was always fantastic, the staff could not do enough for us.

The breakfasts were excellent, all the usual cereals, cold meats, cheeses, delicious breads and preserves, and a hot option - usually scrambled or fried eggs and bacon, though you could order pancakes, omelettes and poached eggs freshly cooked.

The evening meal was beautiful too - 6 courses, beautifully presented, and imaginatively thought out. Some of the dishes we ate - lobster cannelloni with a mango chilli sauce, chestnut and amaretto soup, venison with baked apple and calavdos cream, marzipan ice cream... :)
If there was a criticism, I can only say that service was sometimes a little slow - though there were enough waiting staff for the room, it sometimes seemed as though the least experienced staff were paired to work together, which led to a couple of mix ups.

The swimming pool area was well-tended and always scrupulously clean, as was the outdoor saltwater jacuzzi, which was the perfect way to relax after a hard day of wreaking havoc on the muscles! There are also dry and wet saunas, an ice pool a bio-sauna (coloured lights) and the services of two masseurs.

We had a great time at the Belvedere, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone else.

Some posters have implied the hotel was 'stuffy' or perhaps not appropriate for younger people, but we met many families there, with young children, older teenagers, young couples too. We are 34 and 45, so in the middle really, as there were also more senior guests, but a good mix.

Great attention to detail

by TripAdvisor Member Patrick150

Great family friendly hotel. Staff helpful and polite and owners on hand to attend to any issues that may arise.

Good attention to detail and quality made our family holiday a success. Catering standards were very high and staff had pride in their work. Well done.

Fabulous hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jhs47

We have just returned from 5 days at the Belvedere. My husband and I were celebrating our 7th Wedding Anniversary. We had an excellent time. The reception staff were friendly and spoke excellent English. The food was fantastic, our table for dinner and breakfast had a superb view. We stayed in an Eiger Suite - which was a little bit more expensive, but, well worth it. We will definitely return.

Wonderful Stay...We will be back!!

by TripAdvisor Member dkw

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Hotel Belvedere. This was our second stay at this Hotel...It certainly won't be our last. We had a Junior Suite with a balcony and a fantastic view of the Eiger. The Junior suite is spacious, with a sleeping area and a living area with a couch, chair and coffee table. Two sets of french doors lead to the balcony, which is furnished with a bistro sized table and chairs.

The hotel has a huge lobby area with an enormous balcony overlooking the valley and alps. There is also an indoor pool and wellness area, an indoor whirlpool and a new addition of an outdoor saltwater Jacuzzi. The rooms and public areas are all maintained to the highest standards.

I highly suggest taking advantage of half board while at the Belvedere. Each evening you are offered a seven course gourmet meal that is beyond compare. You are offered at least 3 different entrees each evening. Breakfast is a huge buffet with cheeses, meats, eggs, breads, cereals, yogurts and the option of ordering cooked to order omelets or pancakes.

The staff is extremely courteous and helpful. They were ready to assist in any way they could. The front desk staff assisted with bookings, the waitstaff was efficient, professional and friendly, housekeeping accomodated a couple of special requests quickly and efficiently.

Overall our stay at the Belvedere was as we expected...fabulous!! We will most assuredly be returning.

Fantastic place, great staff

by TripAdvisor Member RichardHerts

We stayed for three nights in July and had a wonderful time. The staff were so helpful on the whole (with special mention for Sylvia and Zsunana in the restaurant) - the room on the 5th floor was great and we even had a postcard from then when we got home thanking us for staying. I had a problem with my car whilst we were there and they helped sort it out with the local Audi dealer. It isnt the greatest looking building but its an awesome hotel.

The Best of the Best!

by TripAdvisor Member judyandjoe

We are not ones to go out of our way to take the time to write a review, but this hotel experience was so wonderful that we felt the need to share it. Upon arrival, we were met with warmth and eagerness to make us comfortable (it was a long journey from NY). They quickly took our bags to our room and led us to their beautiful lobby, filled with lovely chairs and couches, bursting with sunshine and a view like no other. There they served us champagne and a little snack, and that was just the beginning of our wonderful experience. The view from our room was just as spectacular. The food (we had the half board plan...a must!) was not only delicious, but a work of art. The service, impecable. Dining room, lovely with indescribable views. We met the owners, Urs and Sylvia one evening when they invited all the guests down to the lobby for champagne and appetizers and we realized why this hotel is so special. They both radiate warmth, and a genuine interest in their guests. Their staff follow suit. The spa, the pool, the salt water outdoor hot tub, the spa treatments, all top notch...we took full advantage of all of it and enjoyed every minute. We could go on and on. The Belvedere is a very unique place. They made our journey to Switzerland very special.

Comments