3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 129% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Grindelwald

The Russi JumpThe Russi Jump

GrindelwaldGrindelwald

Station Eismeer - the window to the glacierStation Eismeer - the window to the glacier

The Main BuildingThe Main Building

Travel in Grindelwald & Interlaken region

by Baisaa

We are going for our first trip to Switzerland - a seven day trip & we will be based in Grindelwald. We want to explore and enjoy this and the nearby areas rather than travelling to all corners of Switzerland during the trip (an exception might be Zermat since my friend is keen to visit it).

I believe the best travel option is the Swiss Card which will cover the return trip from Zurich airport to Grindelwald and give us 50% discount on all other fare. Any ideas if this is the most economical thing to do?

Also is it cheaper to buy items like the Swiss Card and Swiss Pass outside Switzerland? We heard that to promote tourism, lower rates/discount is given if purchased outside Switzerland.

I would be grateful for any advise and help with this.

by riorich55

We spent 4 days in Switzerland last October with 3 of them in the area where you are going to base yourself. We ended up getting the 1/2 price Swiss Card for 99 CHF as it turned out to be a much better deal then other plans we looked at. Look at this link to my Switzerland VT page to see exactly what we did and some cost comparisons. http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f8615/483/9/.

We bought our card at the Bern train station as I didn't look into buying it before our trip.

by Baisaa

Thanks for the advise Rich. Much appreciated

by jazzcat02

Hi, I have visited and worked there and I have a few suggestions. Buy your Swiss Card prior to leaving is good idea plus it saves time once you get into Switzerland. Besides that there is the Bernese Oberland regional pass. If you fly Swiss Air at checkin you can have your bag sent to Grindelwald and most towns. You just pick the bag up at 5pm at the train station. When you exit the plane in Zurich there is no need to pick up your bag(s) and carry it with you. If you don't fly Swiss Air, you can pick up your bag and drop it off at the airport train station and ship it to Grindelwald. Before you go visit www.switzerlandrewards.com it free and there is a ton of information. Besides, staying Grindelwald you may want to look at Wildeswil it's the first stop when you leave Interlaken OST on the BOB train. If you are going to Zermatt for a day trip this will save you time plus chances are you may want to visit the Schiltorn, Bern, Luzern or Gruyere. If you didn't plan anything for the day you land Zurich is worth 2 or 3 hours.
Hope this helps, Kevin

Travel Tips for Grindelwald

Nature just leaves you breathless...

by besbel

The lanscape was just amazing! You could see the icy mountains sorrounding this little valley that reminds you those old stories about Swiss farms and villages that Grandma used to tell. You can walk the valley up and down....! If you cannot or do not want to practice any adventure sport, just walk this country-like yet modern place up and down... I know that the time I was there (one day) was not enough to do more, but that's better than nothing :)

Things that really helped

by sswagner

One with wheels is always nice. Many people also choose backpacks. Waterproof hiking boots for the trails and high country.

Clothing in the summer will require a broad range. The valley could be perfect for cotton shirts and shorts. Higher up, layers will be required. Under no circumstances, leave without a rain/wind outer shell. Bring sunglasses and sunblock. Also wear a hat. A camera is a must. Trekking poles or a walking stick is ideal here.

Look at these hikes

by cjohnson99

You might like to download these excellent walking guides. I found them hidden away in the directories of the firstbahnen.ch pages. These are freely available and print well on a colour printer. See the website mentioned below. The site appears to change these links on a number of occassions but you will find them somewhere there! Choose the Hiking button at the bottom of the Summer Season or Winter Season pages and then on the left-hand side you will see the names of various hikes which are clickable .... please let me know if you succeed in getting these

A fiiting conclusion to the trip to Jungfraujoch

by dabidc

When I got back to Grindelwald there was time to make a trip to mannilchen , see separate pages, bfore we went back to the hotel to pack and depart the following day.

This was the view from the hotel balcony as we returned after a busy day.

Grindelwald a place to remember with pleasure and wonder.

Through the Marmot Valley

by Manara

One of the hiking paths from First leads to Grosse Scheidegg. It is an easy and pleasant hike, with a great view of the mountains and the glaciers on the other side of the valley: the Wetterhorn, the Oberegrindelwaldgletcher, the Mettenberg with the peak of the Schreckhorn just behind it, the Unteregrindelwaldgletscher and the Eiger.
This path crosses the so-called Marmot Valley, an area where many of these animals live. We were not able to spot any, but we heard them: after we had left behind the Marmot Valley we heard their typical cry of alarm, which sounds like a strong whistle blow. Looking back we saw on the path a man with a dog, apparently humans do not alarm the marmots, but dogs do.
At Grosse Scheidegg there is a bus stop, of the line that connects Grindelwald to Schwarzwaldalp and Meiringen.
The picture I have posted here is not of the same quality as the other ones in my Grindelwald page. I is a scanned picture I had taken with a small autofocus camera in 2003, when I did this hike.
The link I am providing here below is to a webpage with a detailed description of this hike, with a number of pictures as well. Actually it describes the walk in the opposite direction to the one I have done.

Comments