Lauterbrunnen 3822, Switzerland

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Beautiful Views of the Valley and Waterfalls

My wife and I stayed here for 3 of our 4 nights in Switzerland in early October, 2008. After investigating different locations within the region and several locations within town we selected Hotel Oberland. Staying on the 2nd floor in Room 22 we not only had great views of the mountains, valleys and town, but also the room was very good size and besides the bed included a couch, desk, and another table where we could organize everything we had accumulated from our previous 9 days in Europe.

Unique Quality: The service was fine. Upon check in at 7:30 p.m. (19:30) on a Monday evening we received a full run down of the facilities amenities (buffet breakfast, full service restaurant, brochures and events in the area) and since my wife's suitcase had put on some extra weight during our previous 9 days a waitperson from the restaurant took her suitcase up the several flights of steps to our room. The buffet breakfast in the morning consisted of several types of cheeses, several loaves of delicious rye bread, fresh fruit, lunchmeats, cereals, coffee, juice and of course hot chocolate and/or Ovalmatine.

Directions: Get off the train, veer left, cross the street, go up about 3/4 of a block and its on your right.

• Quaint family run hotel

Lovely accomodations. Most rooms with balcony overlooking the valley and the mountains above. Great staff, wonderful food. Family owned by Mark and Ursula Nolan. The terrace resturant is great for people watching and overlooks the villages only street. Rooms are comfortable in the typical Swiss mountain style. Centrally located in the village just a few minutes from the train station for trips anywhere in the region.

Unique Quality: Fantastic views of the towering peaks overhead. In summer the outdoor dining is a wonderful place to enjoy the scenery and visit with fellow travelers.

Directions: Located on the main street in Lauterbrunnen near the middle of the village.

More about Hotel Oberland

Chalet-Hotel Oberland, Interlaken

by nileblitz about Chalet-Hotel Oberland, Interlaken

I have stayed in the chalet-hotel oberland. I found it a great hotel. The staff (especially during breakfast) is a bit rude, but apart from that the rooms are great and it is quite close from the west station. Plus its a Best Western. You can generally not go wrong with them.

by Blondie2 about Hotel Oberland

$150sf/triple (3 beds), balconies, location central to train & other transport which simply takes you everywhere on the slopes.

Fantastic Fondue!

by lamentforicarus about Restaurant at the Hotel Oberland

The Hotel Oberland's Restaurant is one of the most popular in the area. Offering a wide selection of pizzas, soups, and vegetarian entrees, it is popular with locals and tourists alike. For dinner, try the fantastic fondue, complete with a variety of dipping sauces and spices. Dine inside or outside with Staubbach Falls trickling in the background.

Four days

by FraMauro

I have four days in Lauterbrunnen and this is my itinerary.

Day 1 - Lauter - Wengen. Stop and see Wengen, then proceed to Jungfrau.
Return to Lauter via Grindelwald.

Day 2 - Lauter - Murren. Stop and see Murren, then proceed to Schilthorn and
back.

Day 3 - Day trip to Interlaken (Trummelbach falls)

Day 4 - Day trip to Interlaken (Lake Thun & Spiez).

Is this a good plan or can I see a few more places in between.

2. The sbb.ch website shows the first train from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfrau is at 0830 hrs. Is this the "Good Morning" train.
3. How do I check fares in the sbb site. After I enter the details in the buy ticket page, it still stays in the same page.

Thanks

Re: Four days

by riorich55

For days 1 and 2 I would suggest that you go to the top of the mountains first as it is more likely they will be fogged or clouded in later in the day. Again, check the weather forecast before you go up the mountains. I know they have webcams at each site and at the hotel we stayed at Hotel Oberland they had the days weather forecast along with the webcams.

For Day 3 Trummerbach Falls is actually at the other end of the valley from Lauterbrunnen going away from Interlaken. You can take a short bus ride there or just walk. We took a bus ride there and took a scenic walk back getting many pictures. The Falls at most will only take 1 hour of your time so you have plenty of time for other activities.

If your the adventurous type check out the many of outdoor activities you can do in and around the area. My wife and I went tandem paragliding and would highly recommend. (It is not cheap, but the experience is unforgettable.) We used a company called Sky Wings.

Re: Four days

by AlmostSwiss

Your plans sound good, but as pointed out... the Trummelbach Falls day is not to Interlaken, nor should it be. Stay in the pretty Lauterbrunen Valley.

On the fourth day, choose either lake or the other. I would suggest going to Brienz. Maybe you could go up the old steam railway to the Rothorn... and there is also the fantastic Ballenberg Open Air museum.

I take it you aren't fixing these trips to any given days, but rather will play it by ear according to the weather. If the webcams are showing low visibility on the mountains, then go to Brienz or Trummelbach on that day, etc.

For fares on the trains in the Jungfrau region, just use the Jungfrau website. www.jungfraubahn.ch

Comments