Blumlisalp Hotel-Restaurant

Dorfstrasse 88, Goldiwil, Thun, 3624, Switzerland

More about Thun

Thun Coat of Arms,Thun,,Canton of Bern,CH.Thun Coat of Arms,Thun,,Canton of Bern,CH.

Obere Hauptgasse,Thun,Canton of Bern,Switzerland.Obere Hauptgasse,Thun,Canton of Bern,Switzerland.

Self Guided Tour Brochures,Thun,Canton of Bern,CH.Self Guided Tour Brochures,Thun,Canton of Bern,CH.

KAFEE Und Kuchen,Muhleplatz, Thun,Canton Bern,CH.KAFEE Und Kuchen,Muhleplatz, Thun,Canton Bern,CH.

Travel Tips for Thun

Deeply impressed by what...

by Pegasus74

Deeply impressed by what Zermatt has offered, I was determined to once again stay near the mountains for yet another night. Heading north from Zermatt I landed at Interlaken, a scenic holiday resort accessible via one of two train stations - Interlaken Ost and Interlaken West.

Most Interlaken's visitors would go for boat tours along Lake Thun and/or Lake Brienz, to such neighbouring towns and villages as Spiez and Thun, each has a castle, and Brienz, famous for its local craft of wood-carving. But I was more interested in hitting the mountains. I wasted little time in Interlaken and headed towards Grindelwald, which is a busy ski resort under the north face of Eiger, just before dusk. Before narrating whazz up there, I thought of mentioning one thing that caught my attention and fascinated me most in Interlaken, which was the fine animal-shaped woodcrafts particularly those of red deer and antelopes. They really cost a lot, as much as a hundred CHF or two, but I was still tempted to carry one home cuz they are just so perfectly hand crafted. Unfortunately I had got Spain to do after Switzerland and my backpack had unkindly said no.

Promenades by the river and the lake

by german_eagle

A very pleasant way to relax from shopping or sightseeing is a walk along the wonderful promenades by the Aare river or the lake.

Unfortunately I had not enough time to make it to the lake, but yet the part of the promenades to both sides of the river was fantastic. It is quiet, with benches and great views. As far as I know there is a little ferry where the river leaves the lake, so you can cross to the Schadau park and palace.

From Grindelwald station, I...

by Pegasus74

From Grindelwald station, I got a ski pass which entitled me to approach the Jungfrau region. This would not bring me all the way up to Jungfraujoch, the top of Europe, but close enough to witness the Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger sweat in daylight. The ticket for the Jungfraujoch trip costs 159 CHF, which I thought was exorbitantly priced. The one I got costs only 42 CHF and covers First, Mannlichen and Kleine Scheidegg, all of which offer good ski grounds. You don't have to be a skier or a snowboarder in order to get that pass.

First is reachable by train or chairlift from Grindelwald. From here I took the cable car to convey me up to Mannlichen, where there are more challenging choices of ski trails. Proceeding down to Wengen from here via the funicular which connects the two, I spent some time to unwind myself in this nice little town, which has very little to disturb the peace.

There is one of two ways to go from Wengen. One is to the lower Lauterbrunnen Valley and the other is to the higher Kleine Scheidegg, both accessible via the mountain railway. The former is famous for its waterfalls whereas the latter offers yet more trails for challenging runs. The trip to Kleine Scheidegg was undeniably breathtaking.

Thun

by sandysmith

The old town of Thun occupies a long narrow island in the River Aare as it flows out of the lake. Rrom the station area cross the new town into the old town by the bridge over the river -from here you an see lovely balconied houses and across to the kirche of Thun set above the old town. Like Lucenre Thun also has a covered bridge acros the river - but without beautiful paintings. Thun had been quite overcast whilst we were here for the meeting, but after our visit to the castle it began to lighten upon our return to the town the late afternoon sun broke through the gloom and lit the river and town up.

Fulehung Festivities

by iammon

This is a three day festival in fall in the city of Thun (Starting on Sunday before the last Monday of September)
This are said to be the nicesest three days of the year (I have to admit that is for sure only the case for people born and raised in Thun). The custom goes back to the fight in Murten in 1476 where it is said that we captured a chester from Karl dem Kühnen. Up to today during the three days that chester is the main figure of the festivities. He will first show up at four o'clock in the moring on Monday on the main twon square. Before you can go an try to find him hidden in town. If you find him you will get 5 Franks and lots of flaps from the chester's pig bladders. However during the night there are some big parties in town as all the bars and restaurants will stay open. Lots of school classes acctually have their reunions during those three days as a real Thun person will not miss those days no matter where in the world they live. During the day the chester is running though the town and the kids will chase him. Every now and then he will trow some candies and chocolates from windows. During the days there are lots of shooting competitions. You will be able to see how they shoot with the traditional arbalest. Some marching bands will do their rounds as well.

Comments