Wengener Hof

Hotel Wengener Hof
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Wengen

CENTRAL SPORT,Main Street,Wengen,Canton Bern,CH.CENTRAL SPORT,Main Street,Wengen,Canton Bern,CH.

Views Around Wengen,Switzerland.Views Around Wengen,Switzerland.

The English Church,Wengen,SWitzerland.The English Church,Wengen,SWitzerland.

Backstreet Meighborhoods,Wengen,Switzerland.Backstreet Meighborhoods,Wengen,Switzerland.

single

by helga2010

Hello, could you tell me what would happen for New Year's night in Wengen? I mean after dinner what the fun club to go for a single 28 years girl?Thx

Re: single

by KakapoTheParrot

Not been to Wengen over New Year so I can't comment directly, but I've stayed in the village a few times. It's pretty small. A 5 minute walk will get you from one end of the village's main street to the other. If there's a big party you'll see/hear it from one end of the street to the other :-)

Unless anyone else comes up with better suggestions, I'd suggest you try the tourist information - they run the www.wengen.com web site and have always been very good at responding to requests for information from me.

Looking at the live cameras on www.swisspanorama.com the weather looks stunning today.

Travel Tips for Wengen

Alpine Flowers...

by Greggor58

OK this wasnt my favorite thing about Wengen but this seemes like the best place to include this ...

I was fortunate while hiking from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg a variety of Alpine Flowers in bloom…between the altitudes of about 2345 meters (the peak of Mannlichen) and about 2061 meters (Kleine Scheidegg).

If you might be traveling in the area and exploring the terrain at higher altitudes above Wengen watching and identifying these blooms might add a little something to your time there.

When they bloom is of course dependent on the weather and the conditions that vary somewhat from year to year but after the snows have melted and the temperatures warm up you can certainly look for them then. As I’ve mentioned my visit here was in the month of July so you can use this as a gauge for seeing blooming Alpine flowers when you’re hiking above the village of Wengen.

We were able to see and identify a few species that brought a little color to the slopes along that trails that we walked.

The species that I liked the most was the “Gentian”, a really pretty blue color that grows in altitudes up to and including about 3500 meters. I was surprised to see them at this altitude because they grow quite well here in my home town of Ottawa which is NOT very high in altitude above Sea level.

We were also fortunate to see the odd bunch of “Alpine Rosen”, a tiny pink flower that grows in altitudes up to about 2500 meters. Not so often but we saw two or three places where there were tiny Clover like flowers called “Vanilla Orchis” or “Negritella” which is a dark red color and has a scent similar to vanilla.

We also saw the odd Bellflower which in fact is quite common here in Canada as well.

So be on the lookout for some little dashes of color during your hiking adventures above Wengen… now you known four species that are found here and that you can identify along the trails.

Favourite Hike

by sandysmith

The walk from Mannlichen (reached by gondola fronm centre of Wengen) to Kleine Scheidegg is surely on of the most scenic short alpine strolls in Switzerland - its certainly my favourite. The mountains seem so close you could almost touch them. The path winds around the side of the craggy Lauberhorn - the setting for a famous downhill race in the winter ski sporting season - and afffords fine views of the Jungfrau range. The path is cleared in winter for walkers too.

To Maennlichen & Kleine Scheidegg

by globetrott

Maennlichen is a mountain 2230 meters above sea-level and you may get there easily by cable-car from Wengen. There you may start hiking to Kleine Scheidegg - in a distance of 1:20 h - along one of the most scenic hiking-paths in that area. You will pass by several nice restaurants and simple alpine-hotels and for your way back to Wengen you will have the possibility to take the cog-wheel-train from Kleine Scheidegg back to Wengen.
Hiking down all the way from Maennlichen to Wengen will take about 3 hours.

click here for a 360 degree-panorama from Maennlichen
... ... ... ... ...
the panorama of Maennlichen in wintertime
... ... ... ... ...
click here for several panoramas of Maennlichen
... ... ... ... ...
click here for the weather-forecast

Maennlichen Gifpel

by sandysmith

Just stand in amazement at the view around you on the summit. I somtimes have one of those walking cards where you can put the mountain peak stamp in. Well I didn't have one this time but there was a stamp (hole puncher type) so I punched the hole pattern on my cable-car ticket as a momento. Imagine my surprise when I had finished doing this and there was a queue of Japanese behind me waiting to do thte same thing.......I obviously set a trend here!

Cow bells

by annk

When we first ascended the trails we hiked through lush forests and trails bordered with wildflowers. Then the farms and valleys with snow capped mountains came in view. This is where I first heard the melodic tones of the cow bells.

Comments