Kanton Graubünden/Grischun Hotels

Our Members Say

• travelfrosch profile photo travelfrosch
  • Reviews: 965

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Berghotel Muottas Muragl: Not Exactly Roughing It

This mountain hotel, while not cheap, was an excellent option for our budget. A long way from glitzy St Moritz, we were able to enjoy the beauty of the Engadine from our mountain perch 2,456 meters above sea level. Our room was basic, with a sink in the room and shower down the hall (this lower-priced option is no longer available after the renovations of 2010. All rooms have shower and WC included, with prices from CHF 120 per person per night and up). We paid a CHF 10 surcharge for a room with a view of the valley, and we're glad we did. Absolutely breathtaking, as you can see in photos 4 and 5.

Along with our stay (2 nights or more), we received "Engadine Cards," which were waiting for us at the Muottas Muragl funicular ticket window (refundable deposit of CHF 10 per card). The cards gave us free transportation during our throughout the Engadine area (including local trains on the Bernina Express route all the way to Alp Grüm), plus all chairlifts, gondolas, and cable cars (such as Diavolezza).

Dining options are limited to the hotel restaurant (excellent but very expensive), so you might want to figure out alternatives (such as dinner picnics or meals in Pontresina or Samedan) if you're on a budget. I recommend you splurge for a hotel dinner at least once, as it is quite an experience, both for the fine food and great views from the dining room. Our ample buffet breakfast was served in the scenic dining room as well.

- Magnificent views
- First-class restaurant
- Hiking trails all around
- Engadine Card Included for stays of two or more nights

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Food and Dining, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Hiking and Walking
  • Written January 31, 2010
Tip Photo

Berghotel Muottas Muragl

• Tripack profile photo Tripack
  • Reviews: 829

Swiss Army Barracks: Peaceful place...

All Swiss citizens have to join the Swiss Army unless to choose the civilian service or to be exempted (for health reason for example). So each year I have to do an instruction course in the Swiss Army during three weeks: there I realise that the time could be long, so long... you run to wait... and wait to run ;-)

One of the very few advantage to be in the Swiss Army is that iut take me the opportunity to discover new place aroud Switzerland... as the Graubuenden in Brigels this year. I need 5 hours by train to reach this little village at 1'300 absl and to stay in the Swiss Army Palace, hopefully not underground this time...

To go there I took the Furka Oberalp scenic route train via Andermatt and Disentis train. It remember me my backpack tour around DownUnder... with my military package and of course my ski... yes I also choose to stay there for the week-end to enjoy the fresh powder of this alpine resort for a snow session. I was lucky as 60 cm of fresh snow fallen just before the week-end ;-)

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Beer Tasting, Backpacking
  • Written February 4, 2006
Tip Photo

View from my room in the barrack...

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful