Berggasthaus Diavolezza

Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Berggasthaus Diavolezza

Not Exactly Roughing It

by travelfrosch about Berghotel Muottas Muragl

NOTE: Berghotel Muottas Muragl is closed for renovations in 2010.

This mountain hotel, while not cheap, was an excellent option for our budget. A long way from glitzy St Moritz, we were able to enjoy the beauty of the Engadine from our mountain perch 2,456 meters above sea level. Our room was basic, with a sink in the room and shower down the hall (this lower-priced option might not be available after the renovations of 2010). We paid a CHF 10 surcharge for a room with a view of the valley, and we're glad we did. Absolutely breathtaking, as you can see in photos 4 and 5.

Along with our stay, we received "Engadine Cards," which were waiting for us at the Muottas Muragl funicular ticket window (refundable deposit of CHF 10 per card). The cards gave us free transportation during our throughout the Engadine area (including local trains on the Bernina Express route all the way to Alp Grüm), plus all chairlifts, gondolas, and cable cars (such as Diavolezza).

Dining options are limited to the hotel restaurant (excellent but very expensive), so you might want to figure out alternatives (such as dinner picnics or meals in Pontresina or Samedan) if you're on a budget. I recommend you splurge for a hotel dinner at least once, as it is quite an experience, both for the fine food and great views from the dining room. Our ample buffet breakfast was served in the scenic dining room as well. - Magnificent views
- First-class restaurant
- Hiking trails all around
- Engadine Card Included for stays of two or more nights

To sky on Diavolezza

by Cristian_Uluru

One of the great experience that you can do on Bernina is to sky on Diavolezza. During the winter season there are many sky lane. It's very easy to reach from Saint Moritz, that is only 40 km far!!!

Spectacular view of mountains DIAVOLEZZA

by singhsomen

At 3,000m above sea level, Diavolezza affords splendid views of 4,000m mountain peaks, ski pistes with plenty of snow and the longest signposted and secured ski piste on a glacier.

Another highlight in the Diavolezza area is moonshine skiing in the period from January to March. Of course, the Diavolezza transport system also operates in the summer season, taking hikers and glacier climbers up to the mountains.

Rösti is my favorite

by Fesl about Diavolezza

I like the restaurant on top of Diavolezza because they have such a wonderfull terrase and a great view. It is great there in summer as well as in winter. The train from St.Moritz stops directely at cablecar-station, cablecars are every 30 minutes. From Diavolezza you can go hiking in summertime or skiing in wintertime. Roesti is my favorite dish in Switzerland and Käseschnitte, that is similar to cheese-toast, but a lot better !
Cheesefondue is also very good !

Parts of other hikes

by kokoryko

Weather is unpredictable in mountains and sometimes you are trapped in the mist and clouds, like during a hike to Piz Tasna (picture 1), in the Silvretta massif, above the village of Ftan; on the way back, the weather was better and it was possible to enjoy wide views over the Inn valley to the Lischana massif (picture 2)
From the Diavolezza, you can have beautiful views over the world famous Morteratsch Glacier (picture 3), but better with clear weather probably; the picture has been taken right under the clouds.**
From Diavolezza the views over the Alps are grandiose (picture 4), with like here the Piz alf in foreground, the Fain Valley and the Northern Bernina massif in the background; in some places it is difficult to avoid the view of cables and ski installations. . . . .
Above St Moritz, view of the Alps from Saluver Pass (picture 5): rocks sharply carved by snow and ice, low clouds. . . . . it is not my country, my everyday environment, but I love to visit that sort of place and I always have a feeling of deserving these views, when I walked a few hours to get there!

** There is a cable car going from the Diavolezza pass (Highest train station of Europe) train station) to the Diavolezza hut, and you can admire the glacier from above after a 15-20 mn ride.

Mountain Excursions

by JoeRizal

Hello all,

I'm going for a short trip to St. Moritz - 2 nights there. I'm not a skier but I look fwd to go to the mountains to enjoy the view and to enjoy a little bit of the snow.

I liked the following places which I think are close by to St. Moritz and close to each other too - Diavolezza, Piz Nair, Piz Corvatsch and Muottas Muragl.

I suspect I wont be having the time to go to all 4 of them but would love to go to 1 or 2 and I would love to seek suggestions from fellow VTers here - to which 1 or 2 places should I go?

Another thing - besides paying for cable car / mountain railways up there, do I have to pay any entrance fees although I dont ski?

Thanks,

JOE :)

Re: Mountain Excursions

by german_eagle

Of those I would go to Muottas Muragl and Diavolezza. The latter offers the gorgeous views of Piz Palü and Piz Bernina with their glaciers and Muottas Muragl has the best overview of the main valley with the lakes and villages plus of course the mountains towering up - but more panoramic, not in very close distance like from Diavolezza. Also, the old funicular up to Muottas Muragl is fun to ride. An option is tobogganing down to the valley from M. M. (rent a sled) - fun!

When going to Diavolezza take the train - very scenic, more so than the ski bus.

No extra fees.

One more recommendation: Definitely make an excursion in one of the side valleys. Highly recommended Val Fex (from Sils) - either walk or take the horse-drawn carriage. Some restaurants there where you can have a meal or just a hot chocolate.

Re: Mountain Excursions

by JoeRizal

What a timely reply ! :)

Thanks.. i'm going there in 2 days time :)

Travel after Hike

by misterman

I'll be hiking through the Eastern part of Switzerland late August this year. Looking for ideas for things to do for 2-3 days afterwards; the hike ends in Soglio.

Re: Travel after Hike

by travelfrosch

My thought would be to head northeast. If you have money to burn, St. Moritz might just fit the bill for you. Otherwise, consider Samedan or Pontresina. Be on the lookout for hotels that offer an "Engadine Card" with longer stays. The card gives you unlimited (2nd Class) train and bus transport in the region (including the "Bernina Express" route as far as Alp Grüm), as well as free use of gondolas/funiculars/cable cars in the area, to include Diavolezza.

Photo help

by FraMauro

The home page of VT displays 8 photos in a slideshow. Where is the place shown in the 6th photo - the caption says "globetrott ponders a perfect panorama".

by northeast80

Switzerland, it says in the top left of the photo. Can't be more specific, you could try emailing the member. If you type globetrott in the search box (change the drop down to members) you'll get to their homepage and you can email them from there.

by Beausoleil

. . . or you could type Globetrotter into the VT Search Window and click on his Switzerland Travel Pages and have fun looking at all the photos until you find the one you want. 8^)

(I love looking at pictures.)

by Kathrin_E

My guess: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:PalC_en_Diavolezza.jpg

Globetrott's photo is a reflection in a window, thus mirror-inverted

by globetrott

Katrin is right , it is the top-station of Diavolezza, thats my 1st tip here:
The photo was taken at the terrace of the restaurant while the mountains reflected in the windos.

by Kathrin_E