Furrengasse 3, Lucerne, Lucerne, 6004, Switzerland

Booking.com Priceline.com hotel.info

Costs 50% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Location, location, location....

I had a very comfortable stay at the Hotel des Alpes. The staff were very efficient, although some were more friendly than others. I arrived very early in the morning and my room was not ready, but I was made very welcome and was able to leave my luggage and go off to see the sights.

Unique Quality: I couldn't believe the location of this hotel. It was right in front of Kappelbruecke, which I could see every time I looked out my window. It was also just a very short walk from the train station and extremely easy to find. The room was big, comfortable double bed and lovely renovated bathroom. As I arrived in a heat wave I was glad to see the room was equipped with a good sized pedestal fan and a bar fridge as well.

Directions: Just cross the bridge from the Train Station and there it is, right on the water.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Very Convenient to Everything

We only stayed here for one night since it was the last stop of our vacation so these are my reflections from the one day stay.

We arrived at the hotel at 12:00 after a short walk across the river. We were able to check in and put our luggage into a storage facility. The lady at the desk said to come back by 2:00 and they would have a room ready. At 2:00 we arrived back at the hotel after a little sightseeing and lunch and our room was ready!!

The room was fine with a small window that overlooked a little bit of a courtyard in the old town part of the city. If we had stayed more then one night I would have tried to get a room overlooking the river.

The next morning we had a 7:00 a.m. train to the airport and as we were leaving at 6:00 a.m. they offered to give us some coffee and sweets for the road which we declined as we were still stuffed from our dinner the night before (another tip).

Unique Quality: Enter through the courtyard side of the hotel rather then the river side. The check in area is right by the courtyard entrance.

The old elevator in the hotel was very interesting, unfortunately I did not take a picture of it. Getting to the room the first time was interesting as it is an old hotel with different levels and a couple of twists and turns. Once we found our way, however we had no trouble the few other times we came in and out.

• Sweet Little Hotel

DesAples is a sweet little hotel right on the bank of the river. The location is just perfect. It is very near to the Railway station too. Infact one can see it from the Railwaystation. It is very near to the famous wooden bridge.

Getting to the front desk of the hotel could be a bit tricky. If you approach it through the river bank side, u will end up having to climb to the first floor. Take the approach from the back side next to the church. Thats pretty easy if u happen to have lots of luggage. Room was pretty small, but well kept with a minibar.

Unique Quality: The location could not be better. Just superb. But dont expect great views.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

I don't mind recommending this...

I don't mind recommending this quaint over 300-year old tourist-class hotel - Hotel des Alpes because of its EXCELLENT locality (facing the River Reuss) and the warm and friendly staff working there.

I don't know why... but everything in Switzerland costs a bomb. Yes, including their TOURIST-CLASS hotels like the Hotel des Alpes.

Unique Quality: If you're looking for a tourist-class hotel with old-world charms, look no further! Check this hotel out. Oh, and it's just across the street from where we were staying i.e. the Hotel Schiller.

They also have the coolest pub in town - Mr Pickwick Pub. I'd give it a *****-star rating.

More about Hotel des Alpes

Night time entertainment here...

by Krystynn

Night time entertainment here in Lucerne seems scarce as far as I know. Well, around the Lake Lucerne area at least! I know we spent quite a bit of time hanging loose at the hugely popular Mr Pickwick Pub in Hotel des Alpes - just across the lake from our hotel via the Wooden Bridge. It is often jammed-pack with locals and tourists alike. Oh, and the beer/ drinks here are very reasonably-priced. So, you'd still have some money left to spend on shopping. If you rather spend your evenings on traditional entertainment, you can sign up for excursions (through your hotel concierge) where you'd be awed with the yodelling, flag throwing and performances on the almighty alphorn.

Alternatively, you can visit one of their many cabarets, nightclubs and discos (yes, they DO have discos here).

My personal recommendation? Check out Mr Pickwick Pub at Hotel des Alpes. Casual.

Great food, beautiful location

by colin_bramso about Hotel des Alpes

A great location with outdoor riverside tables overlooking beautiful Chapel Bridge & the lake.

Excellent service, English menu available, top quality food with a wide choice of dishes.

Watch the people promenading by, listen to the strolling musicians. At dusk when the fairy lights come on it's a wonderful experience. We had the house merlot red wine at SF22.50 for 500ml carafe, which was excellent. I had one of my all-time favourites veal cordon bleu, which is breadcrumbed tender veal wrapped around a slice of ham & Swiss cheese and fried in olive oil. Served with French fries & vegetables. Geina had a traditional bauernbratwurst, a large pork sausage made with herbs & spices served with onion sauce & French fries. Both dishes were outstandingly good.

We were also tempted by risotto with five herbs & parmesan cheese at SF19.60, and perch fillets sauted, with crayfish sauce, lemon rice & leaf spinach at 36.80.

Great Hotel in Wonderful Location!

by TripAdvisor Member BT-Travels

We stayed at Hotel des Alpes in December for one night. We had a fantastic experience as the hotel is in a superb location and the room was very nice, large, clean, and comfortable! We had a view of the canal and a lovely balcony with seating to enjoy the gorgeous surroundings! The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating, breakfast was great, internet access was made easy, and the price was decent for three adults in a room with a view during the holiday season. Again, the location of the hotel is amazing with the train station just across the bridge, many sights within walking distance, and of course old town and the picturesque canal is just outside your doorstep! I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Lucerne!

Nice stay in Lucerne

by TripAdvisor Member FF13

We stayed two nights at the Hotel des Alpes in Lucerne. This is a nice small hotel right on the river in old town with a great location. The reception area and lobby is comfortable and the staff is attentive. Our room was on the river side and had an outstanding view of the chapel bridge. The room was plain but clean and it had the typical two single beds together to form a double. The bathroom was clean, modern, and well lighted. The room had a small refrigerator with a pay bar. It also had a safe that required a deposit at the front desk. Breakfast was very good with a nice variety of food and fresh fruit in a pleasant dining room on the second floor river side. The hotel's location in old town is a plus. It is convienent to most sites and is a short walk across the bridge from the train station. Overall we had a very nice stay.

The one with the view

by TripAdvisor Member poshnosh

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. We paid a little more and chose the superior room, and it was worth every cent. We got two rooms on the top floor (563 & 564). It had a balcony with the best view of the city and the wonderful chapel bridge and lake luzern. Definetly request for those rooms if you decide to stay here.

The rooms were very clean, nothing to complain except for the bathroom which is extremely "compact". The standing shower barely had enough space for me to move around!

One problem that we faced was the bad service. When we asked for extra pillows they were very reluctant. Moreover, getting ice from the hotel's restaurant is like asking for a million dollars. The waiter was extremly rude and inhospitable. Watch out! The bad service brought my rating down to 3 out of 5.

Otherwise, our experience at Hotel des Alpes was pleasant. Breakfast service was standard continental fare.

CENTRAL LOCATION-PERFECT TO EXPLORE THIS GREAT CITY

by TripAdvisor Member MrBunny

We stayed at the Hotel des Alpes for 2 nights last May.

You feel close to everything from this location. On a warm Spring evening there is nothing better than to stroll the Reuss River and walk along the Chapel Bridge.

When we were there, I got a real sense of community--a local band was playing some polka as well as some modern pieces. The local soccer team was getting ready for a game--and the entire town was REALLY into that.

The history and the local sites were phenomenal. My camera was going non-stop. As for the hotel:

CUSTOMER SERVICE: We arrived too early, but one of the people working in the restaurant escorted us to someone having lunch at the hotel---who promptly got us into a room. Obviously I had no complaints!

ROOM: Fairly spacious and clean. Our room looked out over a courtyard, but it stayed pretty quiet each night.

TRAIN STATION: You can walk to it. Cross the bridge and you're there.

RESTAURANTS: There are several to choose from along the waterfront. Lots of activity on and around the river. Many friendly (and spoiled) swans to keep you entertained.

There is a lot to see in this city. It's a great city to just walk, and this hotel provides a great location.

Nice Room and Great Views

by TripAdvisor Member CharlotteHokie

My husband and I stayed in the Hotel des Alpes in late September. While the hotel was a little on the pricey side, it was a very large and clean room. I booked the hotel via their website, requesting and receiving a room on the upper floor. The views were amazing. It was right on the river and we could see the lake and the mountains in the distance. As it was late Sept, we kept our windows closed at night so we weren't bothered by any noise that may have been happening on the street below us. The hotel has an elevator that goes all the way to the top floor, a nice change from previous hotels we stayed at. The woman who checked us in was very helpful in directing us to the location outside of Lucerne where we had to return our rental car. The last thing is that the breakfast was very good- we filled up on the traditional breads, meats, cheeses, jams and jellies that were offered.

The only odd thing about the hotel was the weird key process they had. You only have your hotel room key with you when you're in the hotel- you're supposed to leave your room key in the front desk key slot for your room and then take another key out to get into the hotel after hours. Seemed like it just advertised who was and wasn't in their rooms.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and while it seemed a little expensive, the rates were comparable (if not better) to the other hotels at that time and had awesome views. We'd stay here again and would definitely recommend it.

Lucerne accommodation

by lindygarrethtyra

Hello all,

We are travelling to looking Lucerne and are looking for help on finding an affordable, comfortable and centrally located hotel - not too far a walk from the train station - for my partner and I and our 6 year old daughter.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I'm finding most things quite expensive on online!

Thanks all!

by swissfondue

Hotel Des Alpes is very centrally located. You can see it from the front entrance of the station. Just walk across the bridge, turn left and you are just about there(less than 5 minutes walk) Not sure what time of year you are thinking of going. Obviously prices will be higher in summer but in the low season rooms start around EUR100 per night - with a very nice breakfast included. You will pay a bit more for a lake view. The hotel is very easy walking distance to shopping and restaurants. Lucerne is quite an expensive destination but the scenery alone is worth the money. We were there in November and everything was covered in snow. Most unseasonal I believe but absolutely magical.

by TravellingBlackCat

Hey there!
Are you still looking for a suggestion for hotels? Just saw the post and its a little while ago....
cheers
maria

by lindygarrethtyra

Hello yes I am still looking I've narrowed it down to Drei Konige, and De la Paix. Has anyone stayed at these?

Comments