Hotel des Balances Lucerne

Costs 68% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Hotel des Balances Lucerne

Hotel Waage / Hotel Des Balances

by globetrott

Hotel Des Balances / Hotel Waage has a really beautiful facade with a lot of great frescos and ornaments. Of course it is also a modern and very comfortable Best Western Hotel today, but I mainly enjoyed it for its great architecture. All over the centre of Luzern / Lucerne you may find such frescos at many buildings - see my other photographs of buildings around Weinmarkt, they are simply great. It is one of the advantages of travelling independantely from a tour-group, that you may stay and enjoy buildings and facades like that as long as you want.

Excellent hotel, great location, superb restaurant.

by TripAdvisor Member DrSKent_UK

My wife and I enjoyed a superb weekend at the Hotel Des Balances. The location was perfect and the hotel staff were very helpful and courteous. The hotel facilities were well presented and we found the restaurant to be outstanding.

Hot stuff

by TripAdvisor Member Lizzie100

We spent four nights at the Hotel Des Balances at the end of July and generally it lived up to expectations.

The hotel is in a wonderful position but is very difficult to find the first time by car, being in a largely pedestrianised area. The first room we were given was stunningly stylish but stiflingly hot, our first night was very unpleasant as a result. However we were moved the next day to a room with a balcony and that made all the difference, the view over the water was gorgeous and the room and bathroom were faultless, with a great shower for a change in a european hotel.

All in all I would definitely go back, the only problem is the lack of air conditioning which was exacerbated by extremely hot weather. We loved Lucerne, a beautiful, buzzy yet relaxing place. Great ice cream too!

Best Breakfast Buffet

This was my second trip to Lucerne having previously stayed in a "tourist" hotel across the river. I noticed that the night life and happenings were on the Balances side. We had a most beutiful two bedroom suite with balcony overlooking the river. It is worth the price. The rooms were large clean and modern including a small refrigerator. Breakfast was the best part of the stay. Fresh breads, cheeses, meats. I really miss the offerings; almost cruise like.

The only bleak spot we encountered is we couldn't get reservations for dinner at the hotel restauran the evening of our arrival. They did not reserve any tables in anticipation of new guests. As a result we never ate at the hotel. We had dinner one evening at the Wilden Mann Stube in the Romantik Hotel which, I believe used to be in the Balances. It was very good and the deserts were to die for. For the price, it is hard to beat.

Awesome hotel in the heart of Lucerne

by TripAdvisor Member radelow

I stayed here for two nights in May. Excellent is really the word that sums it up. Our room was fantastic (Room #309...highly recommend it. Located on the corner with a view of the lake). The location is fantastic, in the heart of the city but not right in the tourist corridor so it is very quiet. The restaurant is fantastic both for dinner and breakfast. The service was impecable and the quality outstanding. Can't say enough nice things about this hotel.

Couple of FYI's, the hotel is NOT a Best Western (contrary to the title). We paid $250/night for a two-night package including breakfast, a bottle of wine, and fruit basket for two people.

Perfect location for exploring Lucerne

by TripAdvisor Member peewee007

The room was huge and looked out over the river and the beautiful city, but had a slight odor and Emabassy Suites generic decor. The phone system was troubling, the staff worked around it, apologizing and maintaing Swiss efficiency. Nice little bar downstairs, the waitress may recommend the strawberry wine which I don't recommend unless you know you like the syruppy sweet and can endure the stares and giggles of the hipsters around you.

When can I go back?

by TripAdvisor Member 2trvl

A truly exceptional hotel in an exceptional city. Lucerne and this hotel were the highlights of our trip. We did splurge for a lakeside view and I highly recommend it if it is in your budget. My son had a lovely and spacious room viewing Old Town but he did say it was noisy at night with the windows open (lots of World Cup celebrations.) I loved sitting out on the terrace and watching the city. The room (on the 4th floor) was huge by European standards and looks just like the website photos. The bathroom had two sinks and a real shower curtain. It had plenty of space for one’s toiletries. The hairdryer was effective. The fan was perhaps too small for the room size but we were most comfortable with terrace doors open (there is a screen-shade and the doors also “pull-out” so the door itself is actually shut but one gets fresh air).
Since the hotel doesn’t have any workout facilities, my son used the fitness center recommended by the hotel – though he did say they were a bit overly ”sterile“ there. (They made him cover his shoes with blue slip-ons when he first took a tour!) He said it was a good place to workout. It cost about $22. There was a free computer to use for the guests. One can walk from the train station, but we took a cab - it was just easier with luggage. (We took the train from Zurich airport directly to the Lucerne, which was very easy to do.) The boat for lake tours and Mount Pilatus is just minutes away. In fact, everything here is so close. The staff was very helpful and accommodating.
They are not kidding when they recommend if you want to eat at the hotel, make a reservation as soon as you can. In Europe, there is truly only one sitting as no one is rushed, so the terrace seats are taken quickly. We managed to get squeezed in. The dinner there was very good, in particular the potato leek soup with frothed thyme was so light it was nothing but flavor in one’s mouth. For desert, my son had the chocolate mousse with homemade sour cream ice cream that was just divine. The breakfast was also good, with plenty of assortment and with the terrace, added ambiance.
Just be aware that on Sunday’s, all the stores are closed (and the rest of the week everything is pretty much closed by five) so plan accordingly!

Loved Des Balances!

My mom and I traveled to Switzerland for business and pleasure June 15-23, 2006. After reading the reviews about Des Balances, I was anxious to see the hotel. Now I had the opportunity of staying in two different rooms at this hotel, the first, and absolutely amazing was the junior suite facing the lake, and the second, was a hole in the wall double room facing the street. We stayed in the junior suite for 2 nights and were completely spoiled! The room was huge, with 2 living quarters, 2 bathrooms, and a view of the city that was truly amazing. The room had a flat screen tv, although only 2 English channels, as well as a DVD player and a radio. We ate breakfast at the restaruant every morning, and the fresh omelets were sooo good! I had one every morning.. however it was a bit pricey at 54 CHF per person. I was certain that my hotel special included the breakfast buffet, but did not have my paperwork showing such, so I ended up paying for breakast each morning. If you book on thier website, make sure you print out the specials page showing the breakfast! We found out that all of Switzerland, at least Zurich and Lucern, was pricey.

We checked out to join my work group at another hotel, however that hotel ended up being far away from the city, so we were able to get the only remaining room at Des Balances, which was room 111. This room was tucked away in the corner of the hotel, it looked like a maid chamber compared to the junior suite we so loved. It was obviously last on the list oto get updated. The carpet was clean, but old, and the bathroom was very small. It was a bit cramped for 2 folks. However we were happy that we were able to get in the hotel, so we didn't complain too much. There is no air conditioning in the hotel, so if you don't have a lake view, there is not much air circulation at night. They did provide a small fan, but it still was a little warm.

The hotel is very close to everything, so it was very easy to get around and go on all of the tours. There were many restaurants nearby, and lots of action, we even got to see a very nice water show about 2-5m from our hotel. Overall, if I had my choice, I would stay at Des Balances over and over again, BUT only if I was in the junior suite. It was decorated very nice and even had free internet access. Beautiful hotel and city!

Buildings and Fountains of the Old Town

by amsterdam_vallon

"View of the Old Town"

The north bank of the Reuss is home to the Old Town?s compact cluster of medieval houses, with M?hlenplatz, Weinmarkt, Hirschenplatz and Kornmarkt forming an ensemble of cobbled, fountained squares ringed by colourful facades. Modern commerce is definitely the motive force of the place these days, and it takes some imagination to conjure up the Middle Ages amidst the welter of shoppers and high-street brand-names.

Kapellplatz, at the bridgehead of the Kapellbr?cke, encircles the tiny eighteenth-century St-Peterskapelle, built over a predecessor dating from as early as 1178. Some 150m west is Kornmarkt, site of the medieval public marketplace. On one side, overlooking the riverside market area of Unter der Egg, is the huge Rathaus, completed in 1606 in Italian Renaissance style but crowned with an oddly incongruous Emmentaler-style roof. The market atmosphere survives today, with stalls selling vegetables, fish and flowers beneath the arcades along Unter der Egg doing a roaring trade every Tuesday and Saturday morning. Kornmarktgasse runs west to the atmospheric frescoed Weinmarkt, where Passion Plays were staged in the late Middle Ages.

"Weinmarktplatz"

Frescoe of the Hotel des Balances Building

"Weinmartkplatz Fountain"

Worth saying that the water from this fountain is potable!

"Kornmarktplatz"

The famous Pfistern Guilhall

"Kornamarktplatz"

Close-up of the Pfistern Guildhall

"Kapellplatz Fountain"

Typical swiss fountain. Every town got one of this fountain. The fountain represent a cavalier with the town flag.

Hotel des BalancesHotel des Balances

going to see switzerland

by manmeen

hi. i m travelling to switzerland on 28th sep. this is my first trip in this country. i m excited abt it. we have booked the hotel des balances for 7 days in lucern. i have plan our trip like this. we have a daughter she is 4 years old. we are vegetarians so i m really worried abt it. can anybody help for finding good places to eat vegetarian food. and what time the food joints close.

i have made this itinary pls let me know if i can improve it

day 1 lucern sight scene
day 2 mount pilatus
days 3 mt rigi and mt titlis
day 4 interlaken shilthron
day 5 interlaken jungfrajouch
day 6 zurich

any suggestion on this. please advise soon as i have less time. how much cold is there these days.

Re: going to see switzerland

by AlmostSwiss

Restaurants should mostly be open till about 10pm... try and be there to order food before 9pm at latest though. Most restaurants should have some vegetarian options, there are plenty of vegetarians here.

Are you planning od oing both trips to Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch as day trips? returning to Luzern each night? That will add some serious extra stress to your days. They are right next to eachother and more than an hour from Luzern, and in themselves encompass a big part of a day, so if possible, book one night in the Lauterbrunnen Valley, so you only have to do the journey there once.

You might consider choosing one of the two, and using your extra day to go somewhere else, perhaps Gruyere, or Bern instead.

Also, probably best to just do one of either Rigi or Titlis, rather than squeezing both in. following Pilatus, Titlis would be interesting because you travel in a revolving ariel cableway, over a glacier, which you can also go in caves in. The Rigi is also beautiful, but not as dramatic as the other two.

You should probably reserve your tickets to Jungfraujoch in advance, just to be on the safe side.

Have a great trip.