Steghof Hotel

Good For No Data

More about Lucerne

Lake LucerneLake Lucerne

HofKircheHofKirche

colourful toy like trainscolourful toy like trains

Schirmer TowerSchirmer Tower

City Train Luzern

by sarkvm

do I need to get tickets for City Train Luzern if I have swiss pass ?

by K_V_B

The "City Train Luzern" is not a train, nor has it anything to do with any of the multitude of Swiss Transport companies included in the Swiss Pass. So, no, you do need to get tickets.
However, you do not need to take this "train" at all, as there are plenty of other options to get around Luzern.
BTW, if you have a Swiss Flexi Pass, don't use up a day on it just to get around Luzern. That is a waste of money.

Thanks for your replies

May be you can help me plan my trip,my stay is from 23-28 Dec 2010.
Any suggestion how can I make the best out of it.

I intend to make day trips to geneva,interlaken,zurich,bern/basel etc

sar

by K_V_B

Where and how are you entering the country? Are you staying in Luzern the whole time (good idea to stay in one place btw).

My suggestion would be to be flexible. The weather is very unpredictable in Switzerland, especially at the moment. The last couple of weeks we've had days with heavy snowfall, days with freezing temperatures, but also mild days. Basically you'll have to start each day with getting a weather forecast and use that as a basis to decide what to do.
Going to Bern is certainly an option for a day when the weather isn't good, as the city is great to walk around in, even in bad weather because of all the covered sidewalks. However you could aslo have a day where in the valley you're looking up at clouds, but with tem mountain stops above the clouds. That's a good day to for example go up the Rigi.
A nice sunny, but cold day is a day to maybe do the "Golden Pass" route...

A Swiss pass might be a good idea, but you could also get a Swiss Half Fare Card. With this card you can get tickets at half price. That is probably going to be the best deal for you.

by sarkvm

Thanks for your response KVB.
I am coming from Copenhagen and thru Zurich will travel to Lucerne.
I have booked 3 nights in Lucerne and will go to Zurich on the 4th day and spend last 02 days in Zurich, at least tats the plan.

So do you think half fare card is better than swiss pass and specially wen my stay is for 6 days and I don't want to pay for 08 day swiss pass ?

Do Swiss pass and half fare card give same discount on Jungfrau and other excursions ?

sar

by K_V_B

The half fare card gives 50% of on the Jungfraubahn, the Swiss Pass only 25%...
And with the half fare card you can still buy a day pass if you would want one.

Travel Tips for Lucerne

KKL Luzern

by Madelyn313

When I travel the single most important place for me to be is where I end up onstage. Every city I tour to I wonder...what kind of acoustics does this next hall have? Will my voice be heard? WIll the sound be soaked up by the audience and the seats? I have performed twice in the KKL and each time I have had the easiest time getting the best sound to my audience. Not to mention the locals are the most receptive and welcoming audience I have encountered in this area of Europe. I think my fondest memory of Lucerne is my last gig at Kunst und Kongresszentrum Luzern with the Pacific Symphony and the Paul Smith Singers. We had just finished selections from the concert version of Porgy and Bess and our conductor Carl St. Clair, motioned to us to do an encore. Now we we all a bit nervous about performing a Spiritual acapella in front of an almost sold out crowd, and orchestra--having very little rehearsal time. But we did it...and got a standing ovation too. It is funny how situations like that move your spirit to do things that you never thought that you could.

Shop at Bucherer.

by sheryl_tan

Shop at Bucherer, 'the number one shop for watches and jewelry in Europe'(the building in the back). You can get your Swatch watches to Rolexs here. Don't forget to get your SwissKnives engaved too. They will make great gifts.

See the Jesuit Church which...

by Michael_D

See the Jesuit Church which stands on the left bank of the Reuss River. Built in 1666 it has a rococo interior of some note with pink porphry and frescoes.
Like all the churches i saw in Switzerland, it had the ornate craftsmenship and detail of German churches, but with a lighter more upbeat color scheme.

The Musegg Wall

by Bjorgvin

Visit the Musegg Wall. The old town on the right bank has well-preserved 14th-century town walls (Musegg) with nine watchtowers built of stone, alleys and squares with medieval, Renaissance and Baroque houses. These ancient walls were first built in 1386. The Schirmer-, Zyt- and Männli Towers are usually open to the public. The oldest clock in the city (1535) is located at the Zyt Tower. The walls are a relatively short walk from the Railway station. When you have crossed the river Reuss you´ll see them on the hill in front of you.

Ringing Bells, Beating Drums and Cracking Whips

by Skyboy2

We were just in Lucerne Switzerland and had the opportunity to hear and see the celebration to drive away evil spirits for the winter months. The streets were very narrow and the noise was deafening. The procession walked up and down the streets and at various points it would stop and about 6 adults would spread out into the streets with lots of space between them. At that point the individuals had a large rope whip that was fastened to a wooden stick about on meter in length. The rope was large on one end and was braided down to a relatively fine line at the other. The entire whip must have been about 4 to 5 meters in length. At a given signal the participants would start to crack the whip with such force that it sounded like loud gunshots. This would continue for several minutes. We were told that the young men of the area would work on their skills for many years so they could become participants. I have found nothing else on this and was told this was a Lucerne tradition.

Comments