Apartments Zurich-Oerlikon, Friesstrasse 8

Priceline.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Zürich

yummyyummy

Restaurant BauernschänkeRestaurant Bauernschänke

Singapore Noodles and chicken with fried riceSingapore Noodles and chicken with fried rice

Grossmuenster ChurchGrossmuenster Church

How Long In Zurich?

by Mikebb

We are in Switzerland for v6 nights mid September'10.

Have booked first 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen and have to be in Zurich for last night as we have an early morning flight.

We had 2 nights Lake Lucerne in 1993.

Thought we could have a one or 2 night stopover on the way to Zurich, but do not wish to waste time by being on local trains for most of day.

Has Zurich much to offer or are we better off in mountain areas which our home in Perth, Australia does not provide?

by Kathrin_E

Zürich has enough to offer for weeks.

However, it is up to you and what you want. If you want mountains and scenery, spend your time in the mountains. If you are interested in seeing an old world city with architecture and history your home in Perth does not provide either, include a full day in Zürich. Your trip is so short, 6 nights make 5 full days, you have to make some very tough choices and decide what suits YOU best. There is no right or wrong and no one at the airport will come with a list and ask you, have you visited this or that and fine you if not.

by swissfondue

I'm presuming you will see Murren and Wengen during your 3 days in Lauterbrunnen so no need to stay in either village separately.

I havent been there myself but I have been told that Bern is a nice city so that may be worth a detour and its a quick train trip from there to Zurich.

I personally enjoyed Zurich. The old town is gorgeous. It was bitterly cold and snowing when I was there but I imagine a trip on the lake would be very nice on a sunny day. If you decide to have a couple of nights there you would have time to do a boat trip from Zurich to Rapperswil.

by Mikebb

Have been back home for a few weeks now. We enjoyed our 2 nights in Zurich, plenty of interesting things to see and do. Our 4 days in Lauterbrunnen were fantastic and we had a clear day when we visited Jungfrau. We went to Bern for the day when it rained in Lauterbrunnen. No rain in Bern.Thaks for the good advice.

Travel Tips for Zürich

Arrive Zurich

by adventerrtravel22

Picture of Lufthansa flight coming in for a landing at Zurich airport. Smooth landing and you move quickly through the airport to collect your luggage.

A train takes you into Zurich, I think the third-fourth stop is the center of the city.

TIP: Make sure they stamp your passport. When I arrived I was told that I didn't need a stamp. Upon exit of Switzerland, through Geneva, the airport Security was very curious as to how or why I didn't receive a stamp on entrance to the country. I'm not sure if it's necessary or not but it resulted in me getting a strip search. They eventually let me through with no problems and I got a chuckle out of it once my plane was in the air. Even just for souvenier purposes, get a stamp.

Walking Wears Out the Feet!

by Rhondaj

Walking, walking, walking. Fortunately Zuerich has plenty of public resting areas. We especially liked lounging by the Limmat, but here we find a little green oasis to rest a spell. This bit of greenery was nestled right in the middle of a busy roundabout.

Language & Culture

by el_ruso

The vast majority of the people seem to speak and understand English.

Switzerland itself is a multilingual country, and virtually all the people speak both French and German. There is a significant Italian-speaking area in the South, and there are some speakers of an obscure Rhetoromansch language. Zurich natives though are ethnic Germans.

As i've been walking round the...

by greentara

As i've been walking round the streets i notice that a new craze has begun.......
everyone seems to be carrying a 'freitag' bag! bags made from truck tarpaulins. Unfortunately they're not cheap, but if you want to look real swiss a definite must buy ;)

Relaxing experience...

by Shibiru

Going up the Muenster....at the Muenstergasse....than walking left and after a weird boots shop on ur left...is kind o an arch...a tunel...there is the Fitness Park. U go inside and ask for the ticket for Hamam.
It is turkish sauna and relaxation...it is sooooo good...kind of expensive...38CHF but it is worth it...they give u the map of the place and u r provided with everything u need (towel,a scrub glove and a bowl...at the end u can use a robe)...it is just soooo good...I dont know how to describe...if u r interested just ask me and I will try to tell how it is...but ushould go...it is a great experience.

Comments