Hotel Adler Zurich

Rated 10% higher but also costs 51% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Adler Zurich

Classy Little Hotel in A Wonderful Location

by TripAdvisor Member ppkbosco

Many people have written good reports about the Hotel Adler. I add my own review of this excellent hotel: spotlessly clean with a personality. Hand-painted original murals adorn every room. A book and in-room framed map explains the area depicted by the mural. The Hotel has a lovely breakfast room, with a wide selection of breads, cereals and cheeses, some cold cuts. Cooked eggs available for purchase. The breakfast room is a fondue restaurant at night - very popular and good. This restaurant supplied me with ice in the evenings upon request - which this American tourist loved having! I wish every city had a Hotel Adler.

Adler was Great

Like all the reviews we read before we went, we also found the Hotel Adler a wonderful place to stay in Zurich. It is within walking distance from the Bahnhof (Main Train Station) ... across the river, along the river until you see the sign pointing to the Hotel. The hotel was in the center of much of the evening activity. Our balcony overlooked two outdoor restaurants. The room was so well insultated, that when the balcony door was closed you couldn't hear any of the street activity. Also a short walk to the Bahnhoffstrasse shopping and the lake. We would definitely stay there again.

What a bargain!

by TripAdvisor Member dvaughn971

Hotel Adler has got to be the best bargain in Zurich. The rooms were large, and the bathroom had a real bathtub (very rare in economical hotels in Europe). We arrived on Easter night, and there were chocolate Easter bunnies on our pillows (delicious), then we headed down for some fondue at the restaurant. Althought we were seated 15 minutes before the kitchen closed, we had excellent service, and good food (try the veal meatballs).

The room itself has a modern feel to it, and the beds were very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the hotel has an elevator. The walk to/from the train station was painless, and the hotel is located in THE place to be for Zurich nightlife.

Excellent Place for Certain Travellers

After reading the reviews of various hotels on this site - I selected the Hotel Adler. I am a VERY experienced international traveller - and I have stayed at some of the best properties world-wide. On this trip - I was travelling alone for business (via train) - so I wanted someplace convenient to the train station, in the older part of town and I was value conscious. I was extremely pleased with the hotel. The location is great, the hotel staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are typical European single rooms, very small (by US standards), but in this case (and compared to other hotels in Zurich) modern and very well maintained (practically new). I felt safe and comfortable. The only caveat - if I was travelling with a companion - probably ok, and with a child, definitely not ok (at least in the room I stayed). I believe there are bigger rooms - so understand that a single room means a single person can comfortably stay - but no more. When I go back to Zurich - I would definitely stay here again.

Wonderful Location - Easy access to everything!

by TripAdvisor Member laj_texas

This little hotel is in a wonderfully central location for the Old Town. The Lake Zurich is about 4 blocks away....train station is about 3 blocks away. Lots of restaurants (including a Mexican one that had live mariachi music one night!) and sidewalk cafes in the immediate area. Go off the beaten path and you'll find some wonderful local cuisine...bratwurst and hash brown potatoes - the best I've ever had!

We opted for a double room....rather large by the typical European standard - I thought it was a good value for the price however....about $150/double room per night. It was a lovely modern room, decorated in all white, with some black accents. Sleek furniture....slanted headboard on bed. Fluffy white comforters with duvets....wonderfully soft pillows. I thought the beds were very comfortable...however they were softer than what we are accustomed to. Our little bathroom was spotlessly clean, a hand shower with wall mount for use as we Americans are accustomed. Be forwarned that there is a dispenser pump for body soap/shampoo combination product. No conditioner, no hand soap....so if you desire bathing soap separate from your shampoo, then take your own. Personally, I liked the product...it smelled very nice and cleaned well. There is a little drug store right across the cobbled street that you can obtain any needed or forgotten items.

Hairdryer, wine glasses, minibar, chocolates on pilllows each day. Beers of varios kinds, waters, chocolate available in the minibar....however know that Europeans don't use ice as much as we Americans. The minibar wasn't powered at all - the cleaning staff each day replaced a couple of freezer packs to keep items cool. The tap water in Zurich was wonderul.....after having drank some of that, I never wanted bottled water the rest of the trip.

Be forewarned that the Swiss love to party! Whether you have a room looking down on the courtyard or onto the street in front of the hotel.....the air will be filled with the noise of people enjoying life. On the weekends, the noise continues well into the wee hours of the morning. On weeknights, including Sundays, the music and such is required to stop at 10 p.m. TAKE EARPLUGS unless you plan to be at one of the parties.

The Swiss Chuchi restaurant below had nice European Buffet breakfasts (included in the room price in our case) each day....lots of breads, cold cuts, sweet breads, fruit, yogurt, cereals, and juice. Egg dishes were available for an additional charge.

Getting to the hotel was very easy. The Zurich airport has to be one of the most organized airports in the world. People (who spoke multiple languages mind you) were available everywhere to help us navigate. My husband was doing the IronMan Switzerland race so we had a huge bike case that needed to be transported. Didn't want to take train, didn't want the expense of a taxi....so opted for the "hotel bus." The bus line you'll take is Ben-Bus at station 4 in front of airport. Costs 25 Swiss francs for two persons and dropped us right at the hotel door step. The hotel will schedule your return trip when you are to leave Zurich.

High speed internet station is available at no additional cost in the 1st floor (2nd floor to Americans) lobby. A printer is attached if needed. We opted for in-room internet service for a fee through the Wireless Public Internet Access Monzoon. A little pricey, but for the 1+ week we were there, it gave us much satisfaction.

Front desk staff were so friendly and helpful. Each of them spoke at least three languages! Jens was the one we had the most interaction with....he is charming and helpful. Provided train schedules to Lucerne, helped us select another city to visit and choose appropriate transportation. Gave us tidbits of information about things to do in the city. Helped us carry luggage to our room and stored the bike case downstairs in the luggage room.

All in all, we had a very wonderfull experience at the Hotel Adler.....I would certainly return there and can provide a strong recommendation for it. I sincerely doubt that you can find a better value overall for your money in Zurich.

Great find!!

by TripAdvisor Member suzbailey

We picked this hotel for our 2 night stay in early May 2005 based on the reviews here and it exceeded our expectations. Even though we only paid for a standard room, they gave us a large suite on the top floor with a balcony that overlooked the plaza. We received complimentary champagne, a fruit basket and box of chocolates. The hotel was very clean, recently revovated in modern design and the rooms were easy to reach (no stairs to climb or decend!). The staff was extremely friendly and knowledgable. The location couldn't have been better. We'll definitely return.

Awsome location

by TripAdvisor Member rbbuckl

If you are in to staying out late and having a great time the Adler is an awesome hotel. The staff is excellent and makes you feel right at home. If you are visiting Zurich as a tourist this hotel is in an ideal location in old town Zurich with lots to do, eat, drink, and sight see. The hotel is also very reasonably priced. My only complaint would be the lack of air-conditioning, which most of the time is not necessary. The 800 year old hotel however would not be the same with that addition; ceiling fans would be nice though.
If I ever get the opportunity to visit this spectacular, friendly city again I will go right back to the Adler.

Good try - but no cigar

The hotel is clean, and efficient in a happening part of town. But dont expect anything special - the rooms are nice, but there is no room service at all, and no proprietory restaurant. Staff v helpful, but the TV is microscopic if that matters to you, and the towls are more like mats (perhaps they were). So good, but no cigar.

Thanks, Adler!

We experienced a wonderful stay at the Adler. The Jr. Suite was clean, functional and well designed. This is not a luxury hotel but neither are you paying the prices you would at the five stars on the other side of the river. The staff is absolutely lovely and helpful. We found the buffet breakfast to be delightful and thoroughly enjoyed sidewalk dining at the associated Swiss Chuchi (sp?) fondue restaurant. It is a pleasant spot and comparatively affordable for Zurich.

The drawback of this hotel is the partying noise of the neighborhood. We had brought earplugs and slept like babies, but you should know that it is very loud until at least 2:00. This could also be considered a positive for those who enjoy nightlife!

Don't know how the lack of air conditioning would impact a stay as it was cool during our visit.

With the current exchange rate, the quality of this hotel is a bargain. Unlike the reviewer who complained about the lack of room service and the size of the television (ours was quite sufficient, by the way), I didn't expect these services at a three star hotel.

Comments