Bahnhofplatz 7, Zurich, 8023, Switzerland

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 135% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Carino's Profile Photo

Hotel Schweizerhof

I spent a week at Hotel Schweizerhof during a Businesstrip. I assume that we got the smallest rooms in the whole hotel, because of our corporate rates. The room and the bed were very small.

Unique Quality: I love the breakfast buffet especially because of their cold cut, bread and cheese selection. The service was also great. My favorite is the butler who drops by every night with his trolley. He offers a wide selection of chocolate, adapters, magazines, etc. - free of charge!

And of course, you can't beat the location. But this is why the hotel is quite expensive.

Directions: Opposite Mainstation, just a few steps from Bahnhofstrasse

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Great Place

I had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel in 2001. I had a single room so it was on the small side, but the amenities were absolutely terrific. The toiletries were top notch and they gave me everything from shaving razors to bubble bath and a an umbrella. I also received fresh flowers in my room and an excellent breakfast.

Unique Quality: I would suggest eating in the restaurant

More about Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich

Fabulous hotel and location

by TripAdvisor Member Lazen

Location excellent near main station. Room on 5th floor excellent over looking court yard. Very quiet. Standard of room and furnishings first class. Staff could not do enough.
Would return tomorrow.
Excellent value for money. many extras.

Not a 5 Star

by TripAdvisor Member Oberst47

Booked two rooms for myself and my three sons for four days. My previous Zurich experience was with the Marriott and the International. The later two focus on the business traveler. When I booked the rooms I had told them that I had previously booked the Marriott and that there was construction going on at the Marriott so I wanted another choice. They booked our stay and never mentioned that there was also construction going on at the Schweizerhof. When we arrived we found that there was construction going on at the Schweizerhof Hotel. We were given a cheap gift and some free candy to make up for it. When we arrived at 8:30am from the US they could only help us store our luggage. This we expected. However we could not get into one room until 5:00pm because the previous occupant was slow in leaving. The hotel claims that it is quiet but certain rooms are not. Room internet service, either high speed or wireless was terrible. It took a four days of constant complaining to get it to work at all. The in-room safe was broken and would not lock and had to be fixed. The room coffee arrangement was ok but they forgot to replenish the instant coffee and had to be reminded twice. The weight scale in our bathroom had a broken piece of plastic which could cut your foot. The rooms were large and the beds comfortable. There are no athletic facilities and no parking. The clientèle appeared to be largely from the middle east. There were also many elderly. Not family friendly, you use the room key to turn on the lights so when if you leave and take the room key with you, all the lights go out. The desks in the room were more ornamental than functional. The bathrooms could use more towels. Breakfast is included but the breakfast buffet was more of what I would have expected at a lesser hotel. The scrambled eggs were watery. The location is great for the train traveler or the shopper or the tourist that is using the travel office at the train station. They recommend the train from the airport but if you have a lot of lugged take a cab. This is a solid 4 star hotel priced like a 5 star hotel. For what I paid, I expected a lot more.

Just As Good The Second Time

by TripAdvisor Member Visitors4

This is the second time that I have stayed at the Schweizerhof, and I will not hesitate to stay a third and more. It is a friendly, clean, and always client and service focused hotel. I love this hotel for the one-one attention that I receive. The hotel is directly across from the main train station, and if you don't have much luggage - please save yourself money and take the train from the airport - it's no more than a 15 minute ride. The hotel is convenient to all sites and half hour leisurely walk to the lake.

I do want to add a comment to a prior TripAdvisor Member review (dated August 18, 2007 from Boston) - the hotel thoughtfully gave each guest a gift for the inconvenience of the exterior renovation occurring at the hotel. The Member commented that this gift was "cheap". I didn't view the gift which was a small token from the leading, world-reknown crystal manufacturer (name starts with a "S") as cheap, but thoughtful and something that the hotel didn't have to do. But it did in interest of client service. Also the "free candy" is Swiss chocolates which is offered to guests at check-in and check-out. Again focusing on client service.

The hotels in Zurich are expensive, but if you like a smaller hotel with consistent attention to client and service, then the Schweizerhof should be top on your list of hotels.

Definitely upscale

by TripAdvisor Member Trotwood

I read a previous review with some dismay, as I believe it provides an inaccurate description of Schweizerhof Hotel in Zurich. Like the other reviewer, I have frequently stayed at the Marriott because my business travels to Zurich are in the summer and I prefer hotels that have air conditioning, not something that can be taken for granted in Zurich -- even in good quality hotels. Also, like the other reviewer, I chose Hotel Schweizerhof because I knew of its convenient location, having passed it a number of times and remarking that it seemed to be a very nice property, and because I knew of the construction at the Marriott. I had two business associates traveling with me who, like me, had never stayed at Hotel Scheweizerhof before. I did some investigation via the internet, communicated via e-mail with the hotel reservations staff, and made arrangements for all of us.

Yes, there was scaffolding around the hotel involved with restoration of the famous murals on the exterior of the building. Nothing on the interior of the hotel was disturbed and the only inconvenience was the reality that during the day workmen on the scaffolding could see into your room if you left the windows uncovered. Yes, I received the "cheap" gift on arrival -- a Swarovski crystal key ring (which I doubt could be purchased for less than US$35) on arrival, along with the hotels' usual glass of champagne, very much appreciated after my TGV train trip from Paris. The rooms, because of the triple glazing windows, were exceptionally quiet. None of us heard any street noise, despite being in a busy location.

This is a small hotel compared to the Marriott, so one has to appreciate the difference between an intimate property compared to the businessman's typical hotel. From my experience, however, the staff were exceedingly attentive and helpful, both with ordinary information like how to use the local tram system (they will even provide tickets, charged to your room at face value) as well as last minute restaurant reservations.

The rooms that I and my associates had were not large, but larger than some I've had in other, high-end hotels in Zurich, and were very well appointed with high-quality furnishings. Even the beds were adjustable, like hospital beds. for comfortable reading, laptop work or TV viewing. The desk and desk chair were as useful as could be desired for business purposes. The internet service worked well for all of us; no complaints.

Interestingly, the lighting in the rooms was quite elaborate, with a number of switches that allowed for multiple combinations of lighting designs to accommodate a variety of needs or moods. I appreciated the fresh flowers in both the room and the bathroom. The bathroom itself was slathered in marble from floor to ceiling and all of the fixtures were modern, of very high quality and, like everything else in the hotel, in excellent condition and well maintained. Cleanliness, always a hallmark in Swiss hotels, was at a very high level.

The morning breakfast buffet was provided in the same, beautiful rooms as the hotel's upscale restaurant. Champagne was part of the standard fare and we all found the quality and variety to be excellent. Those who ordered special, cooked egg dishes were not disappointed. The staff at breakfast were very solicitous and gracious, as we found the rest of the staff.

Certainly, from a location standpoint, Hotel Schweizerhof can't be beat. Right on the Bahnhofstrasse (major shopping street, populated with high-end boutiques and name-brand shops) and across the street from the main train station. Within walking distance from just about everything of principal interest and, via tram, easily accessable to everything else. It's only 10 minutes to the airport by local train but, of course, if you're lugging a number of bags, you might be more comfortable using a taxi.

This may not be the best choice for tourists looking for a resort-type property, but for the business traveler I would say that it's probably one of the better choices in Zurich. There are perhaps a few, very few, better hotels in Zurich but nothing that I've seen to beat Hotel Schweizerhof for value and location as well as quality of the property overall.

I do agree that the regular tariff is fairly steep, but I would say that you get good value for the money. On a voice vote among me and my associates, we enthusiastically agreed that Hotel Schweizerhof was a significant upgrade from the Marriott and we plan to repeat our visit annually.

Wonderfl hotel and staff

by TripAdvisor Member two4trav

Stayed 9 nights at this wonderful hotel. The location was terrific - right across the street from Zurich's main train station and the city's tram stops. The staff was incredibly helpful - they made tour reservations, suggested outings, provided face value tram tickets and taxi charges to the airport and answered a multitude of questions during our stay. The breakfast buffett was wonderful - lots of choices and after 10 breakfasts - we never felt like we were eating the same thing over and over. The triple glazing of the windows are effective - the area around the train station is BUSY - but during our 9 nights we never had a noise problem. The rooms are beautifully furnished and housekeeping was so helpful with any request. The outside renovation was not a problem - just scaffolding on the exterior. Also, we had an early arrival to Zurich and the hotel made an extraordinary effort to accommodate us early. We arrived at 8 AM and our room was ready for us by 10:30 AM - well ahead of the normal check-in time. They obviously got the room ready for us as soon as the previous guest checked out. After traveling 18 hours - it was very much appreciated! We would highly recommend this hotel and would love to stay again.

Throoughly enjoyable

by TripAdvisor Member Adrian26

Great location right opposite the main train station so we only had to lug our bags about 100m from stepping off the train to the hotel doors! It was early in the morning so we had to wait a bit for our room to be vacated and cleaned but that was expected. They also gave my wife a gift as an apology for the exterior renovation works that were going on.

Positives: great location at the beginning of the Bahnhofstrasse and near the train station for day trips out of the city, friendly and well trained staff, excellent concierge staff that were well informed about everything, great breakfast buffet included in the price.

Negatives: Nothing really!

The perfect hotel in Zurich

by TripAdvisor Member ray126

My only issue with this hotel is that I didn't find it sooner. This is my third hotel I've stayed in here in Zurich. From the moment I was greeted at the front desk it felt like home. After running into my fair share of hotels here that have terrible service this was an absolute joy to find.

My room is only a standard single but it's bigger (and nicer) than many doubles or "deluxe" rooms I've stayed in here. Plasma TV (big), coffee in room (yea), spotless marble bathroom, towel heater, flowers...It really is the perfect room in the perfect hotel.

The people working here all seem to be friendly, helpfull, and willing to go out of their way to help you with ANYTHING.

The location is perfect as it's right across the street from the main train station (lots of great shopping there) which makes it perfect for anyone flying in or heading up to the Alps. If anyones interested I have some fantastic pictures on my website of the trainride up and of Interlaken and beyond. I can also recommend places in the Alps

There's all kinds of ameneties. Bathrobe, pants presser, shoe shine kit with brushes, full size soaps in the bathrooms...The list goes on and on. The windows open for fresh air and I have a great view. I love the high ceilings, it makes the room feel that much bigger.

I would without hesitation stay here again. It's a little pricer than some other places but in this case well worth it. For single travelers like my self it's perfect. No need to spend more on a deluxe room as this is perfect as is. I'll try to load some piuctures of the room up soon. If anyone wants to see pics before then email me and I'll send them.

If you enjoy "Old world charm" and flawless service without being pushy you will not be dissapointed staying here.

Comments