Seehotel Sonne Zurich

Romantik Seehotel Sonne
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Zürich

anything you want, birdanything you want, bird

Restaurant Bauernschänke: Turbinenbräu beerRestaurant Bauernschänke: Turbinenbräu beer

Restaurant ReithalleRestaurant Reithalle

Grossmuenster ChurchGrossmuenster Church

Taxi's

by kathymay1

Can anyone tell me if you need cash for a taxi from Zurich airport or do they take credit cards? Inexperienced traveler is going on business trip and whats to know if she needs francs or if she can go without for a couple of days. She will have no free time so maybe.... Thanks

Re: Taxi's

by debkiwi

Based on my experience (most recently April 2010) you should have no trouble using a credit card in a taxi in Zurich. That said, you might want to check with the driver when you first get into the cab because on one occasion I didn't find out until I arrived at my destination that his cc machine was not working.

Travel Tips for Zürich

grab your camera and go

by MrBill

There is lot's to see and do nearby to Zurich. You can take the train, car, ferry boat or your bike and see the surrounding cuontryside or cruise along the shores of the Zurichersee. Whatever the year, just grab you camera and get out and see it. Have fun.

Day trip to the Alps - hiking

by german_eagle

Another idea to escape the hectic city - as beautiful as Zürich might be, it *is* very busy - is a day trip to the Alps. They're actually not *that* far away, you can see the Alps on a good day from Bürkliplatz.

Sonja, Holger and I decided we wanted to go to the really *high* Alps, see some glaciers, cows, get the full experience. And ride some gondolas, chair-lifts ... So we booked the special offer from www.railaway.ch called "Four lakes hike". You get a reduction of about 20% on the fares with that special offer (they are changing from month to month).

That was the plan: Taking an early train from Zürich to Luzern where we changed for the train to Sarnen. From there we took the Postbus (the first one broke down, LOL, which resulted in a 20 minutes delay) to Stockalp in the Melchtal valley. Gondola up to Melchsee-Frutt (the 1st lake - Melchsee). I had never been there and was a bit shocked by how much (and ugly) overbuilt the place is. Anyway, we set off toward Tannalp and the lake of the same name (2nd lake). Along the way we visited a nice chapel, met some cows and just enjoyed ourselves. At Tannalp we saw a guy preparing and selling raclette to the hikers and afterward we regretted we had not bought some.

We continued to Engstlenalp where we had lunch on the very nice shady terrace of the traditional Hotel of the same name. Yummy. After we were done with lunch we continued the hike and passed the beautiful Engstlensee (3rd lake). Great photo opps with the glaciers above. We didn't mind at all that there was a chair-lift that took us up to Jochpass ... at 2207 m it was the highest elevation for us that day. We even found some remains of snow from the recent poor weather there. Down to Trübsee (4th lake) by chair-lift, walk around the lake and down to Engelberg by another gondola.

We took the train to Luzern where we changed for the train to Zürich. All in all it was a full day - despite the official hiking time is only 3 or 4 hours you must calculate much more time if you are a photographer or want to have a break here and there to soak up the beautiful vistas. And of course the trains, gondolas and chair-lifts add up to the time also.

It was a fantastic day that I wouldn't want to miss. What's better than hiking with friends in the Alps? And for once the weather co-operated.

Tipping

by Dabs

Coming from a country where people expect tips for just about every kind of service imaginable and the expected tip rate going up and up, it's hard for me to adjust to European countries where service is included in the bill. For restaurants, a 15% service fee is included in the price you see on the menu as is the tax. I was a little confused the first time they came with our credit card receipt and there was a line for a tip but my guidebook clearly stated that service was included.

I wish the US would adopt this system and then you would know exactly how much you were paying for everything right up front. I imagine foreign visitors find our tax and tip system very frustrating, the tax rates are not uniform across the US and I imagine the concept of paying people's wages via tips is a little disconcerting as well.

KUNSTHAUS ZURICH (Fine Arts...

by Tolik

KUNSTHAUS ZURICH (Fine Arts Museum). This is my favorite art museum in Switzerland. Near the museum's entrance you can see Rodin's 'Gate of Hell'. Museum is devoted mainly to 19th and 20th centuries, although the range of painting and sculpture reaches back to antiquity. My favorite exhibits include the pictures by Monet, Cezanne, Degas, Toulouse-Lautrec, Utrillo and Picasso. The visitors come to see works of Rubens, Rembrandt, Chagall, Bonnard, Edward Munch, Mondrian and other famous artists.
See more about it in my travelogue.

taste of Morocco

by Martman

Life can sometimes give pleasent surprises. We happened to be walking walking in an area close to the railway station. By chance, we discovered a Moroccan market. We had a wonderful day looking around. Eventually, we stopped for a nice Moroccan meal. This was a fun diversion. Here, I am proudly eating Moroccan food with our friendly hosts.

Comments