Alpenruh Hotel

Hotel Alpenruh
Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

Costs 53% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Ruhe in der Alpen

When going to Mürren, which I do at least twice a year, I usually stay in the hotel Alpenruh. The hotel is situated just by the LSMS cable-car station, and offers fantastic views of the Lauterbrunnental as well as Kleine Scheidegg and the Eiger-Mönch-Jungfrau trio.
    Included in the price (about 250 CHF per room) is also the delicious breakfast, which you will enjoy in the panoramic breakfast room on the main floor.

Unique Quality: Hotel Alpenruh offers extreme views of the valley and the Jungfrau chain.
    The rooms all come with TV and private bathroom.

Directions: From Lauterbrunnen: funicular & train to Mürren (BLM); then walk (~1'000m) to other end of village.
    From Stechelberg: Leave car at the big parking lot, then cable car up to Mürren. Hotel vis-a-vis the station.
    In Mürren follow brown signs for "Alpenruh".

More about Alpenruh Hotel

3 STARS GETS YOU GREAT ACCOMMODATION

by ALPLUVR about HOTEL ALPENRUH

From the train station in Murren you walk through the small village past aged-wood chalets covered with flower boxes. On your left as you walk you are accompanied by the Eiger, the Monch and the Jungfrau peaks along with views of the beautiful Lauterbrunnen valley below.
You will reach the hotel right before the Schilthorn cable car station. The Alpenruh has traditional alpine style.. clean, cute, cozy and comfortable. I booked a room with a balcony overlooking the restaurant outdoor terrace and the breath-taking view of the Eiger and the Jungfrau. The balcony has a lounge chair for sunning or napping in the Alpine air and a little table and chairs and of course, flower boxes all around. Inside the feather beds are waiting softly for you. There was a multi-disc CD player, including some very cool C.D.s in the room, a nice wicker bowl of fruit and lovely, personalized "Welcome" letter from the prorietors, hanging on my door. The shining white-tiled bathroom was quite large and had every amenity and toiletry to make a city girl comfortable in an mountain inn. They have a sauna and wonderfully cozy lounge area. The restaurant is rather small inside, but very nicely decorated in a traditional style but during the day and on warm evenings there are many more tables on the stone terrace outside.
Every hotel staff person I encountered was friendly and helpful. The owners bring in interns from Hotel Management schools and help them learn the trade in this gorgeous village.
One of the greatest things about staying at the Alpenruh is that they are owned by the people who own the Schilthorn cable car, and if you so choose, you can have your included breakfast at 10,000 ft. in the Schilthorn's revolving restaurant. You must pay for your way up there but then breakfast is free. I opted for the 10,000 ft. breakfast and was blessed with the most, clear spectacular morning for my ascent.
Snow-covered peaks in 360 degrees were glistening in sunlight. I thought about hiking down as it was so beautiful but I was ill-prepared and had to catch the train in Lauterbrunnen in just a few hours.

Mountain fare is hearty and tasty

by ALPLUVR about Hotel Alpenruh

The Hotel Almendhubel has a lovely terrace that overlooks the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Alps surrounding Murren. It is right next door to the Schilthorn cable car station and much better food than at the touristy revolving restaurant at the 1-,000 ft. summit.
The views are almost tasty enough to nourish you but try their many local favorites and you will be pleasantly surprised. I love Rosti.. it is basically a very large hashbrown but it has been cooked like a big pie in a heavy wrought iron pan and is often served with ham, cheese and/or an egg. Order this with a Kalbswurst or sometimes called Weisswurst, all light and airy inside and crispy on the outside. These are not greasy like bratwurst but almost fluffy and less spicy. They can also be served with just a good strong Swiss mustard or a traditional zweibel (onion) sauce. If you have never tried a Swiss fondue in Switzerland it is a must do. Be sure to accompany with a glass of dry, white wine (they make great wine in Switzerland).. no beer with this dish please.

Alpine Honeymoon - 007 Style

by emaschal46

"Getting To & Arriving In Murren"

After landing in Zurich, we immediately went to the CBB ticket counter and got our train passes for the remainder of our trip. Next we went downstairs at the airport to catch the train. We had to switch trains at the main Zurich station then our next stop was Interlaken Ost (or east). There we caught the Bernese-Oberland-Railway (BOB) train that would take us to Lauterbrunen. Upon arriving in Lauterburnen, we crossed a small street and caught the funicular to Grütschalp then another train to Murren. This all sounds tricky but everyone was very helpful and we never missed a train.
Once we arrived in Murren we had to hike across the village (about 12 minutes) to our hotel, the Hotel Alpenruh. This hotel was VERY lovely and quite affordable. I would strongly reccomend it!

"Good Eats At Stagerstubli"

Our first meal in Murren was at Stagerstubli. My wife (Kristin) had the white fish and I had the Bratwurst with onion sauce and rosti (hashbrowns) - terrific! The service was excellent and the prices were reasonable. I will be returning.

View from our balcony at the Hotel AlpenruhView from our balcony at the Hotel Alpenruh

advise on accomodation AND abou the Glacier Express

by vpas

Hi Vts,
I have confirmed accomodation in the following places,please suggest if the hotels/guest houses are decent and clean.
Zermatt --Hotel Imseng Lukas at Saas Fee
Grindelwald -- Hotel Belair Eden
Torgon -- Les Crete Euroloisers
Zurich -- IPR Guesthouse (run by Carlos Garott)
How can I take the Glacier Express train to Zermatt from Geneva airport.
Regards,
Vpas

by nflspotter

Can't help you on the Glacier Express...but you must go to Murren and Shilthorn when you stay at Grindelwald. It's the other side of the valley. Go to Stechleberg and buy a roundtrip (you can get off at anytime (Murren Birg Shilthorn) gondola to Schilthorn ($75). This side of the valley is less touristy and I have avoided Grindelwald for the past nine years straight. I go to Murren (Hotel Alpenruh) EVERY winter and summer. Picnic just above Murren if summer (little stream to chill your wine) while looking back to Grindelwald.
Co-op in Murren will have all you need for the picnic. Second best place I have EVER been (my daughter found Murren backpacking through Europe ten years ago. Kanderstag (Lake Oschinensee) would be my next best car visit if you do day trips.

by kathymay1

From Geneva Airport to Zermatt the only part of the trip on the Glacier Express is from Visp to Zermatt. You can get a train direct to Visp (leaves airport at:27 after the hour, at least in May) and then go down and it's a beautiful run that will be about 4 hours total from Geneva. If you want more Express you'll need to continue east from Visp and you'll see more but it won't get you to Zermatt. Since you will be in the Interlaken area you might want to be sure that you train from there (Interlaken Ost)to Zurich via Lucerne rather than Bern and you will see most of the Golden Pass Route and it will make up for what you missed on the Glacier Express. It's slower than the Bern route but beautiful.
Good Luck, See you in Switzerland!

by vpas

Thank you nflspotter and kathy may.I think I will go to Murren and Schillthorn for sure.About the Glacier train,I plan to take it from Zermatt to Visp and then from Visp to torgon by normal train,instead of glacier train from Geneva to zermatt,since that will be soon after we land at Geneva.So I will take the glacier train on my return trip from Zermatt.Do let me know if it is sensible.
Regards,