Aegerten, Murren 3825, Switzerland
Booking.com AMOMA.com Priceline.com

More about Mürren

The cableway to SchilthornThe cableway to Schilthorn

thumbs up for Wengen & Muerrenthumbs up for Wengen & Muerren

town of Lauterbrunnen in the valleytown of Lauterbrunnen in the valley

train stop in Kleine Schedigtrain stop in Kleine Schedig

summer trip to Murren

by abbysmom

My family of 4 plus luggage will be going to Murren for a few days this summer.
Upon arrival at Interlaken Ost in the late afternoon, I would feel better to be clear on
how best to get up to Murren. It sounds like there is more than one way. Suggestions?

Re: summer trip to Murren

by riorich55

Take the train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen. About a 20 minute trip. Immediately across the street from the train station in Lauterbrunnen is a cable car that takes you up from the valley. You then connect to a mountain train for another 10 minute trip to Murren.

If you want you can click on my name and go to my home page. Once there scroll down the page a bit and you will see a link to a You Tube video I took back in 2008. The video is Going Up to Schilthorn.

The other way I know would be to take the train to Lauterbrunnen and then take a bus across the valley to another cable car at the end of the valley and then ride up that way. The train to Murren and the cable car to Murren I believe come up at either end of town, so you may want to consider where you will be staying in Murren before deciding on which route to take.

Re: summer trip to Murren

by Manara

The route that was described above seems complicated, but it actually takes 45 minutes in total.

The second option, which would work better if your accommodation is at the southern end of the village, starts again with a train trip to Lauterbrunnen, then a bus to Stechelberg where you take the cableway to Mürren.

If you stay in the middle of the village, and so you are equally distant from both stations, I think the connections are more frequent with the first route.

Travel Tips for Mürren

Starting the journey to Schilthorn

by littlesam1

To get to Schilthorn you have to take several types of transportation as I mentioned on the opening page. We had purchased a Swiss Pass before we left the United States and it covered the cost of most of the transportation. I would recommend purchasing one if you visit Switzerland.

We took the train the Interlaken. From there we transferred to a smaller private owned train to Lauterbrunnen. At Lauterbrunnen we boarded an inclined railway. This went straight up the side of a mountain at a sharp incline. I took pictures through the large glass windows that were on the car. We had excellent views for the entire ride. Pictured here is the view to my right as we began our climb. Pictures do not begin to capture the beauty.

Still riding the inclined railway

by littlesam1

In this picture the angle of the incline is even more evident. This was only the beginning of the journey to Murren and yet the trip itself was beautiful and worth the time. There are not roads leading to Murren and cars are in the village. The only way to reach Murren is by this inclined railway or by aero cable car.

Murren and the ride to Schilthorn

by littlesam1

We arrived in the village of Murren. It was very picturesque. The streets were lined with small hotels, shops, and houses all decorated with beautiful flowers. The village was spotless. We had to walk through the village to reach the cable car to take up to Schilthorn. Pictured here is the sign on the building housing the cable cars. You can see the cable coming out of the building and extending towards the mountain.

Entering Birg and looking back at Murren

by littlesam1

I really like this picture. This was taken entering the station house at Birg and looking down at the village of Murren. You can see the cables and the distance we have traveled. It was literally breath taking. If you click on the picture and enlarge it you can see the small dots which make up the village of Murren below the cables.

Arrival at Schilthorn

by littlesam1

Here we enter the bottom of Piz Gloria as we arrive at Schilthorn. Its been a long journey and really worth the time for me. This is the same area you see Bond arrive at Piz Gloria in the movie. And the adventure is just beginning. After arriving we did some hiking, had lunch, bought souvineers, and took lots of pictures.

Comments