Alpenschloss Castell

german_eagle's Profile Photo

Hotel Castell

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 18, 2014

In August 1999 I stayed in this hotel for a week. Hotel Castell is located high above Zuoz on a hill, with great views of the Engadine valley and the mountains. Hiking trails start here and in winter you can ski in/out. A mini-bus (free) provides transportation to the railway station, timed with the train arrivals/departures. Parking was free, but limited. More parking in the garage, but not free then.

The hotel was built in the early 20th century in a sort of Grand hotel style - and it still shows. Grand lobby with wooden panels and open fireplace (but the bar is modern), magnificent dining hall with high stucco ceilings and floor-to-ceiling windows, mirrors etc. Large staircase and corridors, works of art everywhere. However, my room was rather small and although it had all the amenities needed, it really was in need of re-decoration. They did major renovation works in the meantime, especially in the rooms - but I'm not sure I would appreciate the results. According to their website the rooms are much more modern now, in the cool urban "design" style - not my cup of tea.

Anyway, I enjoyed my stay very much. Food was excellent. Sumptuous breakfast buffet, 4-course dinner with choices, very good wine selection. Service was very good. Back then I paid about 750 DM for a week incl. half-board, but these times are gone ...

5 Photos of Alpenschloss Castell

Zuoz Travel Forum

Need advice about Zuoz, Switzerland? Visit the Travel Forum for Zuoz and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Zuoz