Kharkiv Hotels

• toonsarah profile photo toonsarah
  • Reviews: 3363

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mirax Boutique Hotel: Small and friendly

We chose this hotel on the suggestion of a friend as it was in a great location for the main purpose of our visit to Kharkiv – a match at the Metalist Stadium, which is a walkable 1.8 kilometres (or one Metro stop) away. Like many of the city’s hotels, this one is very new, having been opened for the Euro 2012 football tournament (one of the group stages was hosted here).

The Mirax describes itself as a boutique hotel and unlike many that do so, really lives up to the claim. It has just ten rooms and has an eclectic glitzy movie-themed décor that I imagine is pretty unique in Kharkiv. Take a look at our Marilyn Monroe room (photos two, three and four) to see what I mean.

We had a friendly welcome from Elena and were shown personally to our rooms, which I thought was a nice touch. Our friend Pete had room 7, just by reception (see my travelogue for a photo of this room) and we had number 4, the Marilyn room. Both rooms were a good size. We had lots of space for our things and the wardrobe would accommodate far more than we had brought. The bathroom too was a good size and looked really glamorous (photo four) but I was to find that the roll-top bath was not ideal for showering – the water went everywhere! The room had a flat screen TV (never turned this on), facilities for making tea and coffee, a mini bar with soft drinks, beer and snacks at reasonable prices, free bottled water, bath-robes and slippers, and in the bathroom was a hair-dryer and the usual range of toiletries. The large bed was firm but comfortable (but then I like a firm bed) but it was a shame that the duvet was smaller than the bed – a tiny detail but attention to these would lift the hotel from “great” to “really special”.

The hotel has free and efficient wifi access. Breakfast is served in a sunny room on the fifth floor (there’s a lift but on one morning that wasn’t working so we had to walk up). There’s a terrace there which I imagine is used in warmer weather. The breakfasts are cooked to order and you have a choice of several items and extras from the menu – I had the pancakes with cream cheese and raisins on two mornings and the omelette with ham, peppers etc on another. Chris and Pete also tried the “scrambled eggs with bacon” which were good, though more like fried eggs than scrambled!

One plus here is the friendliness of the staff. When we returned to the hotel after the match, which we had won, we had wanted to celebrate with a few beers in the nearby bar, but this had closed early (perhaps because of the match). So we bought a few cans and crisps etc in the Spar supermarket next door to the hotel and asked the receptionist’ s permission to have these in the small reception area. This she was happy to allow, even though we had two other friends with us who were staying elsewhere.

I started my review by saying that we chose the hotel for its location. This suited us, but might not suit everyone. The hotel is two Metro stops from the centre of town so if you want lots of bars and restaurants on your doorstep it may not be ideal for you. But with the Metro so cheap and efficient it wasn’t a problem for us, and I would certainly consider staying here again.

Next tip: more about the Mirax Hotel’s location on Moskovskiy Avenue

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written March 5, 2013

Reception

• toonsarah profile photo toonsarah
  • Reviews: 3363

Kharkiv Palace Hotel: We didn't stay here, but ...

No, we didn’t stay here! And I almost never post tips about a hotel in which I have not stayed. But this is too impressive a building not to mention, and we did at least pay it a brief visit, as one of our friends needed to meet up with a Newcastle United employee who had his ticket for the match to hand over.

You see, this is where the Newcastle team stayed when in Kharkiv, and is almost certainly the most luxurious place to stay in the city. The hotel has everything you would expect from a five star hotel, including roof-top bar, several restaurants, pool, fitness centre and a spa. If you fancy a touch of luxury but are usually unable to justify the expense, a visit to Kharkiv might be the time to splash out. A double room here will cost only a little over £100 a night, a deluxe room £200 and a suite about £250. Something to consider, maybe???

You can even book a personal butler for your stay, and as prices here are so reasonable, that will cost you “just” £32 ($49) a day – a bargain, no? Your butler will, among other things, be responsible for:
• Unpacking and packing luggage;
• Caring for your wardrobe;
• Morning service: morning call, breakfast service, approval of plans for the day;
• Personal waiter service in restaurants and bars;
• Keeping up your room according to your personal preferences;
• Organization of reception of visitors in your room;
• Procurement of cigars, alcohol, tea;
• Turndown service;
• Personal escort during activities of your choice;
Yes really – a “personal escort”!

Next tip: somewhere more affordable, the inevitable Irish bar – Patrick’s

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel
  • Written March 5, 2013

Kharkiv Palace Hotel atrium

• socheid profile photo socheid
  • Reviews: 279

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kizhi Hotel: Could easily be better

One of the attractions of this place for me is that it is close to a metro station. Thus arriving at Kharkiv Train station, I was confident I could get here easily without having to engage the no doubt local rip off fraternity that is Ukranian taxi drivers. Sure enough from the train station I had to change metro lines once and I was at the target metro station (Arkitektura Bekerova).

Entrance to the hotel isn't directly from the street but from a yard that is behind the street. The hotel is not disabled friendly as even to get to the front door requires going up a flight of stairs and then another flight of stairs to get to reception.

There was a guy working called Roma (like the city in Italy as he put it) who seemed friendly and keen to help. I asked what time breakfast would be and he said that since I was the only guest staying that night, I could come down any time I wanted the next morning to which I suggested around 10 am. When I showed up at the afore mentioned time he told that since I was the only guest, there would be no breakfast service that morning (breakfast was not included in the rate for the room).

The other bizarre issue I have encountered is that I was woken early in the morning by workmen outside my room window doing some rendering work on the outside walls. It seemed bizarre that as the only guest in the hotel that night I am given the room right beside where the maintenance work taking place. I asked for a room change and that was promptly granted. This room is much better all together as the previous room was nearer reception and there was noise from that also. There appears to be 6 rooms available to guests, all on the 3rd floor. I suggest that if possible avoid room 31 and try to get one of the higher numbered rooms as these are further away from reception and quieter.

Something I found a little strange was that around 8.30 pm I asked the receptionist if I could use an iron. I was told that the iron was only available to guests when the maid was there and that since she had long since gone, I would have to wait until the next morning.

The rooms themselves aren't too bad without being anything brilliant. Wifi is free and works with no issues. The Tv is Ukranian / Russian only so if that is an issue for you, look elsewhere. The air con works well and the water in the shower is red hot. I suspect this venture is reasonable new but already there are some marks that the place is not entirely spotless.

450 UAH for a standard double room. It was my oversight that breakfast wasn't included in the 450 and breakfast is 50 UAH extra when it is available.

Marshala Bazhanova is just off Pushkinskaya near the metro station called Architektura Bekegova. Access to the yard where there stairs are that lead to reception can also be obtained from Pushkinskaya as well as from Marshala Bazhanova as the hotel is located behind the apex of these 2 streets.

This place would have been OK without being anything brilliant but for the pantomime with the breakfast (a first for me) and also with the workmen (sadly not a first for me). I would have liked to have given more positive comment from when I spoke with Roma last night as he seemed such a helpful bloke. That though has since been surpassed.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written August 11, 2011

• dima240 profile photo dima240
  • Reviews: 1

I stayed at the private...

I stayed at the private apartment in the very center of Kharkov near the Organ Hall! very close to the Metro, on the ground floor of the building there was a food store. Within 5 minutes walking distance - I found around 10 nice restaurants
40-50 dollars depending on how many days!

cheap price, aircondition, satellite TV, huge bath tub etc

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average