Salute Hotel

See Amenities

Good deal!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 21, 2012

I visited this advertised as a 4-star-hotel in the summer of 2011, because of its very central and convenient location and the reasonably priced for Kiev rooms. Salute is not very big hotel (with around 90 rooms) and for sure not new - it was built in 1984 and its strange architecture style is reflecting the ugly Soviet futurism from that time, so I haven't expected to be pleasantly surprised by my stay there. By entering the lobby and approaching the reception I decided that I have returned back in time and started thinking that choosing of Salute wasn't quite a good idea. Fortunately, my standard room turned to be not very big (around 20 sq.m), but renovated and looking fresh and clean. The room is air-conditioned, has a mini-bar and a satellite TV (don't expect LCD or LED TV though). The room bathroom was really small and could have been better (I have heard that the bathroom of the superior room is same in size but much better), the balcony is not big either but giving quite a nice view over Dnieper river and its left bank, but for the price of 850 UAH (a little bit more than 100 USD) it was a good deal! I should also mention that the staff at the reception and the cleaning lady have been very kind and always willing to help. What I didn't like is that you have to pay additionally for breakfast and the fact that a construction was going on nearby the hotel and there was a a lot of noise during the day... I would recommend Salute hotel though, because of its room comfort, reasonable prices and central location!

Unique Quality: The location is great, close to a lot of attractions, close also to a metro station, the price is quite reasonable for Kiev and the location offered.

Directions: In the heart of Pechersk, close to a lot of attractions such as the Ukrainian Parliament, the Mariinskiy Palace and park, the famous Kyivo-Pecherska Lavra, 5 min away from the Arsenalnaia metro station.

smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

The Grenade!!!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 6, 2011

Colloquially known as The Grenade due to its shape, for me everything about this hotel screamed out a former Soviet existence and, with its close proximity to Rodina Mat, my search for a hotel was over!!!
I booked a junior suite which was £260 for 3 nights and guaranteed me a nice view from the balcony.
You cannot walk to the centre of town from this hotel - it is too far. You must take a taxi and you WILL spend a lot more time in and around te centre than you will this end of town. It makes more sense to stay centrally and cab out this way when wanting to go to the Lavra, the Great Patriotic War museum etc... but you have to admit it is a great looking hotel!!!

My room: I am not sure if I would attach the word "suite" to my room - I think that is a generous lable for what was a room with a bathroom... but granted, it had a balcony that looked across the river and, from the 7th floor (which is where my "suite" was, afforded magnificent views of golden domes (from a variety of churches and cathedrals) and Rodina Mat.

The room was clean but REEKED of stale smoke. Everybody smokes in Kiev but the smell in the room was awful. I actually had to leave my clothes in the acse so that they did not stink!

There was a mini bar with beer, vodka, cheap champagne and johnnies! Yup - apparently refredgerated condoms is where it's at!?! These were possibly seen as a necessity for all rooms due to the strip club on the 3rd floor (nb... we heard no noise from this club and would never have known it was there if it had not been advertised all over the hotel and the dribble of slightly "shifty" looking men that could been seen wandering across reception en route up!)

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was NOT included.
The best thing was a cash machine in the lobby... (it was the "green" ATM machine that accepts foreign credit cards... this was most helpful!)

Nearby Salute Hotel

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Kiev Travel Forum

Need advice about Kiev, Ukraine? Visit the Travel Forum for Kiev and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kiev hotel reviews