Sherborne Guest House

Dabs's Profile Photo

Comfortable apartment hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 4, 2009

I was a little nervous about staying here after reading a review on Trip Advisor saying it was in a ghetto, but after staying there I can assure you it's not in a ghetto but rather it is in a residential neighborhood within walking distance of the Lavra. Not once did I feel uncomfortable going back to our apartment.

We had reserved the $90 1 room apartment which wasn't available so were upgraded for no fee to the incredibly spacious nicely decorated 2 bedroom apartment with separate living room and kitchen, back in the communist days it probably housed about 10-15 people! The room was comfortable, there was a full kitchen with refrigerator and stove (plus a minibar) and table. We had a tub and a shower, there was hot water after running the tap for about 3 minutes. The only drawback was that it was on the 5th floor and there is no elevator.

When we came back through Kiev for 1 night, we reserved the $125 1 room apartment which is a studio apartment with the kitchen and the bedroom combined. There was just a shower in this apartment. It was on the 1st floor so no stairs for this apartment. Both apartments were very quiet.

The transfer from the airport was expensive but well worth it after a long flight. The location is off the street and not marked at all (you go through an alley to get to your apartment) so it would be hard to find if you didn't know where you were going. The Arsenala metro station is a 5-10 minute walk, the Lavra was a 10-15 minute walk and there is a full grocery store about 2 minutes away. We got a whole cooked chicken and some other stuff and ate in our apartment a couple of nights, they also had other prepared foods that they could microwave for you.

The staff couldn't have been nicer, our apartment was cleaned every night with fresh towels, the staff was available 24 hours a day and was just downstairs from our apt. I would highly recommend if you are looking for an affordable option and are willing to stay a little out of the center.

aeolis's Profile Photo

The

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 16, 2007

I stayed in a fine suite that was arranged by Sherborne Guest House. My suite was just around the corner from the famous Khreschatyk Street and Independence Square (5 minute walk). 24 hours a day, Sherborne Guest House has an English-speaking person at their telephone to take care of any troubles, to arrange tours, etc, or to answer questions. It was like a lifeline to me. The day before I departed Kiev (after eleven nights), they phoned me to confirm my total bill for my stay. There was no problem. When I returned to Canada, they sent me an email expressing their hope that I had enjoyed my stay with them. I assured them that everything had been just fine.

Unique Quality: They are very helpful, and they arranged a 3 hour tour of Kiev with an English-speaking assistant Professor of Tourism and a taxi with driver for $96 US. Next day, we called the taxi driver to take us to the outskirts of Kiev to visit a shopping centre. The driver lent us a cell phone while we shopped, and he called later to say that he would be 2 minutes later arriving back at the appointed time. That's service. The taxi cost $15 US total. Taxis are inexpensive in Kiev.

Nearby Sherborne Guest House

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Sherborne Guest House

• Kitchenette

Kiev Travel Forum

Need advice about Kiev, Ukraine? Visit the Travel Forum for Kiev and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kiev hotel reviews

Chernobyl
Golden Gate
World War II Memorial
Things to Do
Metrograd (Underground Shoppping Mall)
Shopping
Railway Station
Guided Tour of the City
Conker Statue - Maryinsky Park
Things to Do
Will visit it again for sure!
Nothing special...
A nice new Italian restaurant in Kiev
Restaurants
One of the good pizza restaurants in Kiev
Fast and Familiar
Unmissable!
Very Pretty, with a Symbolic History
Pechersk Lavra
Things to Do
The best Indian restaurant in Kiev!
Nice Italian restaurant in Podol
Restaurants
Museum of outstanding figures of the Ukrainian cul
Literary and Memorial Museum of P. H. Tychyna