Gogolya 2, Sevastopol, 99011, Ukraine
Booking.com Travelocity Tingo.com

More about Sevastopol'

Gripex Max-my favo Ukrainian cold medicineGripex Max-my favo Ukrainian cold medicine

the pharmacy just to the left of McDonaldsthe pharmacy just to the left of McDonalds

sunset over the Art Baysunset over the Art Bay

Sevastopol harbor excursionsSevastopol harbor excursions

bus from bakhchisaray

by legon

where can i get a bus from bakhchisaray to sevastopol?

by Dabs

We took a marshrutka from Sevastopol to Bakhchisaray and then back, marshrutkas are similar to buses but smaller. I believe there was a central bus station, from there we connected with another marshrutka to get to the Palace and another to get to the cave city. Just ask at your hotel or accomodations and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction to the bus station. Last year it cost 12 uah to ride, about $1.50US.

by Dabs

I just looked at the guidebook I had last year and it says that the train (elektrichki) takes about 1/2 hour longer than the marshrutkas.

I'm not sure what the poster above is trying to say but you don't go through Simferopol to get from Bakhchisarai to Sevastopol, Bakhchisarai is between Simferopol and Sevastopol.

Travel Tips for Sevastopol'

Finding a pharmacy & over the counter medicine

by wishibroughtless

Just a heads up for travelers. In Sevastopol (and across Ukraine as well) non-perscription medicines are NOT available at grocery stores. You will need to stop by a dedicated pharmacy, pronounced "apteka" in Russian. If you are familiar enough with the Russian language and can read the cyrilic it will be easy to find one of the myriad of pharmacies that are practically on every other corner.

The first time I took my wife to Ukraine, we flew to Kiev straight from Kenya. Following our African adventure she was in need of some over the counter medicine and I didn't know enough Russian to find her what she needed. She suffered through the trip until we got back to the States. Hopefully this will prevent anything similar from happening to you!

If you have a phrase book use it to ask any passerby where the nearest pharmacy is and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Don't have a phrase book? Try this easy to carry and use Rough Guide Russian phrase book! Since the topic today is pharmacies/medicine I'm glad to say most phrase books including my recommendation above have a "medical" section that you can use once you find the pharmacy.

Nearly all pharmacies are denoted by a green cross and green block font for the Russian word "аптека" above the entrance.

The most centrally located pharmacy for visitors near the waterfront or downtown/center area is on Nakhimov Street in between Hotel Sevastopol and McDonalds - right where the bus stop happens to be. (pictured right). There is also one immediately to the left of McDonalds if you are facing the front door (pictured above).

If you have a cold symptoms, sore throat or fever try Gripex Max (pictured left) - taking one or two every 12 hours, has worked for me incredibly well, so much so that I actually have carried them with me BACK to the States :-) However, I have no idea what is in them so I can't guarantee your experience.

Something of note - many prescription strength drugs are available over the counter with no doctors visit or prescription needed. Just explain your condition and if the pharmacy carries it they shouldn't have any objection to selling it to you.

Of course, the Ukrainian medical culture is quite different than what most Westerners will be familiar with and they do not carry western brand medications (that I have seen anyway). So don't bother asking for a specific brand - just ask for the condition/symptoms you need treated.

If you want the best stuff they have use your phrase book to say "something strong" or the like. When all else fails point, gesture and speak loudly :-)

Nakhimov Square

by bugulma

Nakhimov Square is situated near of Sevastopol' Bay and it is the central part of the city. On the square there is monument to the one of the heroes of Krym War, admiral Pavel Nakhimov. The monument was open in November of 1898 (sculptor Schroder and painter Bilderling). In 1928 the monument was destroyed and Lenin's statue was placed here. But in 1959 Lenin statue was moved in other place and the new monument to Nakhimov was situated sculptor Tomsky and architect Arefiev).

Why Sevastopol is a city of the Russian glory?

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

The Crimean war began in 1854 as a result of long saved economic and political contradictions between England, France, Turkey, Sardinia and Russia. Each of these countries aspired to strengthen the influence on the Middle East to win the markets of selling to subordinate to itself new territories. However the Ottoman empire to this time was significantly weakened and was unable to achieve a success. Turkish suffered defeats on land and by the sea. In November of 1853 Russian squadron under commanding of the vice-admiral Nakhimov raided in Sinop bay a Turkish squadron. It was a great Russian victory!

In September of 1854 English - French fleet arrived to Sevastopol. Knowing, that the city is well protected from the sea, the opponent has landed large descent to the south from Eupatorium to approach to Sevastopol from a land. The city was announced state of siege. The defense proceeding 349 days was begun. We call it “The First Sevastopol Defence”. Thousands of Russian soldiers were killed there but have not conceded to the enemy.

In October of 1941 the second defence against fascists began. We call it “The Second Sevastopol Defence” It proceeded 250 days till July of 1942. Hundreds of thousands of Soviet soldiers were killed there but have not conceded to the enemy.

That’s why many people consider Sevastopol as the city of the Russian glory.

Take a break

by yumyum

There are some nice parks by the bay which are very popular recreation spots with the locals. Have drink in an open air cafe in summer and enjoy the view of the sea. I really liked walking along the promenade enjoying the seaside and the views.

Big Smiles in Sevastopol

by Jasen71

I took the time to see Dr Kotov in Sevastopol. The dental clinic is called Dr Siemens and can be found on Lenina Street. I talked with Dr. Kotov who speaks good English He
uses Siemans Procedures, as good as or better than you can get in the UK. In fact he had better equiment than my local dentist, and of course he uses the german 'Siemens' equipment.. The cost was really cheap.. A brighter and whiter smile...

Comments