Mercure Dunkenhalgh Hotel and Spa Blackburn

Blackburn Road Clayton Le Moors Lancashire, Clayton le Moors, BB5 5JP, United Kingdom
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 156% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Mercure Dunkenhalgh Hotel and Spa Blackburn

excellent

by TripAdvisor Member toddy8

went to a wedding here and stayed overnight,it was everything you could want ,the food was excellent,the staff was friendly and very helpfull,and the rooms very clean cannot praise it enough

The only local option and it shows

by TripAdvisor Member aluakea

If you are needing to stay near Blackburn then there is not a lot of choice around. As a result the Dunkenhalgh has a captive market.

The building itself is impressive from the outside but the room in the courtyard was very tired - on a cool night only one of the two (wall mounted) radiators was working, and it took some time to work out how to turn it on. For the price it was not good value.

The food in the restaurant at night promised much more than it could deliver and was very bland. Overpriced for what it was even for a hotel! In contrast the breakfast was very good indeed and had plenty of choice.

The bar next to the restaurant was also pricey, although the drinks were well presented with a good 'nibbles' tray as well.

I may have to stay here again on business - but if I could find anywhere else I would.

Not really the best hotel in Lancashire

by TripAdvisor Member Mathewnewman

We stayed at this hotel as we were going to a wedding there. The wedding was lovely and I thought the staff at teh wedding did an excellent job.

My gripe however is with the hotel in general and especially the management.The MacDonald Hotels brochure proclaims that the hotel has been newly renovated and is one of the best hotel in Lancashire. If that is the case, then god help visitors to Lancashire is all I can say. Our room was OK, in the "old wing" overlooking the bar and carpark, and was quite big but nothing special at all. The ceiling had strange 1980s style ceiling tiles, the carpet was a little worn, one of the pillors had a tear in the fabric and there was a strange stain on the bedsheet which housekeeping changed for me when asked (but why was it there in the first place?). Nothing stood out for me in the room, it was distinctly average, which is not what you would expect from the best hotel in Lancashire. Also there was no where to hang the do not disburb sign on the outside of the door!
The bathroom had obviously been newly renovated but still had mould around the bath, a strange red stain (looked like blood) around the door frame and the toilet was difficult to flush.
The hotel itself: Good location, just off the M65 between Blackburn and Burnley although not signposted from the motorway roundabout so you have to be a bit psychic to find it as the hotel directions simply stop at "M65 Junction 7." Drinks at the bar were incredibly expensive (£6.20 for an orange juice and a bottle of beer is extortionate) and I thought adding a 2% surcharge for credit cards is just plain extortion - I paid by debit card instead.
The staff was reasonably friendly, I particularly liked the old man who was the bell-boy, very nice man and added a bit of jocularity to the place as most of the staff were young and like most young hotel staff nowadays, don't really care about the job that they are doing.
Overall, I think MacDonald hotels need to revisit their brochure regarding this being one of the best hotels in Lancashire, there are other hotels in the county that are far nicer and represent much better value for money than this place.

Definitely not 4 star standard

by TripAdvisor Member KatieBear73

We had our wedding reception at The Dunkenhalgh in September 2006. We found it difficult to find a decent hotel in Lancashire that could accommodate the number of guests we had invited to our wedding and felt that the Dunkenhalgh was the best of a bad bunch.

On first glance the driveway and house are imposing and you feel like you are entering a high quality establishment, once inside you are faced with a uncomfortable contrast of seriously tired and shabby and modern eclectic. I understand that the hotel is undergoing a huge refurbishment programme, but the areas that had been completed were very poorly maintained.

I believe the hotel relies heavily on wedding parties and functions to support the business, and as a result the finer details expected in a 4 star hotel are ignored. My major gripe - the housekeeping is extremely poor. On a positive note - the staff are friendly, and to be honest have heard the same complaints time and time again, they seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place.

Our wedding reception was of course a huge success, but did except things like; the remaining wedding cake to be stored for us to take home, the shower in our bridal suite to be working, the extortionate amounts of buffet food not going to waste (perhaps they could have offered it to us to take home - we paid for it!), the correct wine being served at our reception, the right veggie meal being served at the wedding breakfast (especially since the bride was a veggie)..the list goes on!

I expect The Dunkenhalgh is masquerading behind its 4 stars simply due to its spa facilities and swimming pool, it really is a 3 star hotel suffering from poor management standards. This could be a great hotel with a bit of effort.

Not 4 star standards

by TripAdvisor Member farrj

We have stayed at this hotel several times to attend dinner dances but would not stay by choice.

As stated in previous reviews, the quality of the room allocated can be a "lottery" and on our most recent visit the first room offered had no working heating - we were then moved to another room which whilst a good size had no hairdryer or minibar.

The service at breakfast was poor with long queues due to the fact that the hot food (which was ok) was served by two members of staff instead of the usual (and more efficient) self-service buffet.

Drinks are expensive in the hotel bar and we were amazed to have a 2% surcharge for credit card payments added to the bill - we have stayed at a number of good hotels, none of which have added this surcharge!

We would not recommend this hotel as in our view it does not live up to its 4 star rating or its own publicity.

Comments