The Drovers Inn

#1
Rank 1 of 1 hotel
in Ardlui
MatthewR1979 Jul 9, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Our experience of stating at The Drovers Inn was terrible. It actually started a few days prior to arriving and should have started alarm bells ringing, we received a phone call saying that they had cocked up their alcohol license and would not be able to serve us alcoholic drinks (if only that had been the case) but when we arrived with a bottle of wine we found there was no such issue. We got some garbled explanation that didn't make sense. Not a big issue, but things just snow balled from here.

The room was grubby, dimly with all the lights on and had a door that connected to the adjoining room which meant we could hear everything going on next door and I'm sure they could hear every footstep and slight cough in our room

The restaurant is cramped and again, not the cleanest of places and the food is at best average. The lady on the table next to us had to send her lamb shank back as it was so tough and over cooked it was inedible. A lamb shank! Something that just stews for hours making it melt in the mouth. The response to this? The waitress relayed the message from the chef that he had never had one sent back before - like there was some thing wrong with the lady! Two things struck me about that - chefs can be highly strung and find it hard to take criticism on the chin, which I have no problem with, but the waitress should be a buffer between the chef and the customer; she shouldn't just pass on his rants. And secondly, they were hardly operating a fine dining place there, there was no reason to get shirty with the guest because the food they were slopping up wasn't up to scratch.

Things then got really bad. We were kept awake until 3 in the morning by drunk guests that were running amok around the lodge area like they were on an 18-30s holiday. There was no phones in the room so I had to use my own phone to get in touch with front desk to ask them to deal with the issue. The duty manager apparently had a word with them at around 1:15am and then went home leaving no night porter. The disturbances continued until around 3 am.

This kind of thing happens I guess, no hotel vets it's guests in advance, but the nonchalance my complaints were met with in the morning at check out almost disgusted me more."we are only a small business" is not an excuse for the discomfort of paying guests. And to be told by the person on the desk that she wasn't there so she simply couldn't offer and opinion is ridiculous. Like the lady at dinner I was made to feel like I wasn't taking the quality of the hotel, the service and the apparent lack of interest in the guest as long as they get their money in the right manner.

You may have read this review and be thinking this is a silly rant by a whinger, but I'll just qualify it by saying that this is the only time I've ever stayed anywhere I felt was bad enough to post a negative review. I would usually put a couple of issues at a hotel down to a bit of bad luck and the hotel will be rectifying them after I leave. Not here though.

Terrible hotel, awful people and staff that could not care less.

Nearby The Drovers Inn

The Drovers Inn

• The Drovers Hotel Ardlui

Address: Ardlui, G83 7DX , United Kingdom

Amenities at The Drovers Inn

• Free Parking

Ardlui Travel Forum

Need advice about Ardlui, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Ardlui and ask our Answer Gurus.

Ardlui Travel Guide