Ashford International Classic Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Ashford International Classic Hotel

Worst Hotel I have stayed in the UK

by TripAdvisor Member necas

I stayed recently at the Ashford International Hotel, and was appalled at the standard of cleanliness of Hotel Rooms.
There were stains on the soft furnishings , stains on the sheets and human hairs from previous occupants.
The Manager was very polite , immediately transferred us to another room . This one had problems of cleanliness in the toilet which the manager verified as quite dirty with dust , hairs etc..... In her own words totally unacceptable.
She moved us straight to a bigger room , upgraded and again management were very apologetic.
But now on the 3rd room there was someone else's food crumbs on the floor, a bit of old toothpaste by the sink, loose toilet seat and some stains on chairs. Also the room looked tired.
This was only for 1 night and by this time we were tired of changing rooms.
Had it been any longer we would have checked out.
Walking along the corridors was like an assault course of plates with old food and empty glasses from other guest. Quite disgusting that no one seems to clear this out. Surely this must constitute a health hazard.
Outside our room there was an empty bottle of Champagne with glasses and it was still there in the morning.
I have never encountered such poor standard of hotel cleanliness in the UK , Europe or throughout the world.
This hotel looks very tired with stains on carpets and furnishings as well as damage to furniture, walls and door frames.
I am sure that I am not the only person to complain about this hotel They may have spent some money on refurbishment but this was definitely not evident in any of the rooms we were offered.
The decor looked very tired , Strong red colours, lack of natural daylight into the rooms. Simply horrible, depressing and dirty....
The breakfast was uninspiring, the coffee was like hot water, bacon was cold, sausages dried up, definetely not vaule for money....

It is not acceptable at the charges made and It definitely does not merit 4 stars, not even 3.

Nice rooms, avoid the Restaurant!

by TripAdvisor Member litesneeze

I stayed here after the refurbishment was completed and I have to say the Hotel now looks very nice.The room was clean, comfortable and modern. The bathroom was spotless and very nicely done. There was a separate seating area and dressing table in the room. The only criticism I'd make of the room was that lighting wasn't that great, coupled with the dark walls made the room quite dark. No fun when you've got to be up, groomed and out before daybreak!

We went for a drink in the bar before dinner and were amazed at the prices. I know that you have to expect to pay more in a Hotel, but these were really daft. The bar is nicely decorated though. Could do with more bar staff as there was only one chap on and service was slow. There was only one couplewaiting to be served in front of us and my Husband and I therefore had a wait of around 10 minutes before we got our drinks!

The restaurant really lets this place down. The food is quite pricey and not really to a great standard. The staff are also not that good. They only seem to appear when they have to bring plates out, all other times they disappear back behind the big curtain. So basically, you can't get anyones attention.

My starter (King Prawns) was miniscule, overcooked and very greasy. My Husband's (Duck) was bizarre, it was wafer, and I do mean wafer ,thin slices of duck that had clearly come from a packet. The 3 tiny slices were served stone cold from the fridge with slices of mango and then a warm noodle salad. Very strange. Also, there was slight confusion over what the dish was, as the waiter came out and said "Ham?" as he went to give my Husband his starter. We said, "No, Duck" so he scuttled off and a few minutes later came back and said "Sorry is Duck"!!! I can understand the confusion though as the size and colour of the duck made it look certainly more like ham!

The main courses and desserts were tolerable, but not worth the charge made. The desserts were clearly all bought in tasted plasticky. Don't have the Crepes Suzette. Microwave pancakes really are not that nice!

Breakfast was nice enough, but again you are at the mercy of the staff. We had to ask twice for tea. We'd nearly finished before the cold toast came out. There is a little menu on each table offering other breakfast options at extra cost like Eggs Benedict. Good luck attracting the attention of a member of staff if you'd like to order it though! We stood at the "Please wait to be seated" sign for ages too, waiting to be acknowledged and seated. The people in front of us got quite exasperated.

I would stay here again if I needed to, but I would try others in the area first. If you do stay here, then you won't be disappointed with your room, just make sure you go out for sustenance!

Minor niggles spoil stay

by TripAdvisor Member Edghillian

On arrival had to ask twice and waited 10 mins for someone to help with bags to room.

Once in the room had to phone up 3 times for an ironing board and twice for a hairdryer.

Room itself was clean but very cold and the air conditioning took an hour to heat the room up.

TV channels were supposedly a selection of Sky channels (according to the leaflet in the room) but all we had were BBC1, ITV, Ch4, Sky news, CNN and, bizarrely, a German tarot card reading channel!

Breakfast was OK, but the tea tasted horrible.

Smart, cheap but eat out.

by TripAdvisor Member pgtv

Great value room rate but no mobile coverage which is hard if you're working. Expensive internet. Too many managers, not enough 'doers'. Avoid the restaurant - fancy starters, lumpy cold mains.

good rooms, big improvement

by TripAdvisor Member keithtswindon

Stayed at a Holiday Inn previous time we went on the Eurotunnel which was Ok but we had been advised to eat out. This looked a level above that and had the benefit of leisure facilities. Hotel does have a "big conference" feel about it but the quality of the bedroom, cleanliness, obviously recently refurbished, chance to have a swim after our drive and decent breakfast were all we needed and it provided those with some style and better than we have had in several other hotels. Daughter loved the pink highlights in the bedroom - very chic.

Restaurant leaves a lot to be desired - including service

by TripAdvisor Member Occupiers

The restaurant is decorated in standard middle of the road business mode. The tables set well apart but the service was so bad it was almost comical. We waited for about ten minutes before anyone came to take our order and we were only asked if we'd like a drink after we already ordered the meal and the wine.

The waiter apologised for the wait saying that head office has decreed that they only take an order when the customer had replaced the menu on the table, face down. Lucky then that he happened to be passing!

The wine waiter then tried to suggest another wine from our choice with our meal, which appeared quite ridiculous coming from a young chap obviously straight from training. We were then told it would take several minutes for our choice of wine to be found (??) so we chose another (of course more expensive) wine.

Throughout, the service was erractic and sloppy. The food was good, but charging £7 for a small starter of salad with three slices of pancetta and a poached egg is a bit steep (and we have been to The Fat Duck so we do know value for money)! My main meal of liver and bacon and my husband's of parmesan crusted sea bass was good but again, overpriced.

Perhaps this restaurant is fine for travellers staying at the hotel, but for people wanting a good restaurant which is value for money, with good service and imaginative dishes, they should look elsewhere.

Nice room, shame about the food!

by TripAdvisor Member chrisebeth

We recently stayed for 6 nights at this hotel and I can honestly say the food was the worse I have ever experienced in a hotel.
I know that cost comes into it when catering for coach parties but you at least expect food to be served hot (well warm anyway), be reasonably freshly prepared and there be enough to go round. Cottage pie twice and fish cakes twice in 6 days as your main course paints the picture. The first night we queued 20 mins for drink, gave up, tried to order a drink at the dinner table and were told 'you have to go to the bar'. This hotel has recently been expensively refurbished - shame they didnt spend some of this money on a restaurant manager!

So much better

by TripAdvisor Member slippy36

I last stayed at the Ashford International before the refurbishment and wow what a difference! This hotel is so chic now with a wonderful vibrant colour scheme throughout - it was such a nice surprise. The reception staff were very welcoming despite my late arrival and when I ordered room service it arrived promptly, was hot and actually tasted pretty good. Breakfast the next day was very busy and although I had to wait a few minutes for a table it was not too long and only to be expected really. On my second night I ate in the restaurant which again was quite busy but it didn't seem to effect the service - the staff were attentive and friendly. Managed to sneak in a quick swim as well in the fab new pool so different from the previous "bath". I'll be back!

Great Pre Channel Stop

by TripAdvisor Member littlehandbag

My family and I stayed for one night prior to an early morning Channel crossing. I wanted adjoining rooms to accomodate my children (aged 11 and 13) and was pleased that this request was actioned. My boys spent all of their spare time at the swimming pool (bonus for us!). Restaurant menu was very accomodating of family needs. We were able to check out promptly for our very early morning start. Hassle free stay.

Best in Ashford

by TripAdvisor Member mcaa1

This has recently been done up and the rooms are now very much better. The only down side is the very hard bed.

Restaurant and bar very good

Comments