1 London Road, Surrey, Bagshot, GU19 5HR, United Kingdom
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Bagshot

Perusing the menu in the loungePerusing the menu in the lounge

The BrasserieThe Brasserie

Such decadent dessert!Such decadent dessert!

My wonderful mainMy wonderful main

Travel Tips for Bagshot

Pennyhill Park

by kzngirl

"Rest for the weary...!"

Adrian decided both he and I needed a break after a hectic year of work, and a busy Christmas season punctuated with family festivities. I took it upon myself to do some research into luxury breaks in and around London. It wasn't long before I stumbled across the wonderful special Pennyhill Park had to offer.

The five star hotel situated in Bagshot, Surrey is a mere 40 minutes drive from London. Pennyhill Park is renowned for it?s famous spa - apparently the biggest in Europe.

Read more about our stay in my travelogue...

Luxury all the way...

by kzngirl

Adrian decided both he and I needed a break after a hectic year of work, and a busy Christmas season punctuated with family festivities. I took it upon myself to do some research into luxury breaks in and around London. It wasn’t long before I stumbled across the wonderful special Pennyhill Park had to offer.

Adrian didn’t waste anytime and promptly booked us into Friday night special…This consisted of dinner, bed and breakfast…also, as Adrian had booked so far in advance, they recommended he put in a request for a roll top bath and four poster bed! They were almost sure they could guarantee it, however we wouldn’t know for sure until we checked in…

The five star hotel is renowned for it’s famous spa – apparently the biggest in Europe. As you enter the grounds, you drive through some wonderfully tall pine trees, and between them you can see what was the training fields for the English Rugby team. Apparently they would regularly stay at Pennyhill Park, using the facilities while they trained…

Although their car park was full, we hardly saw any other guest throughout the duration of our stay. It was very private and quiet, oozing luxury.

Upon check-in we were informed that we had a reservation at 7pm in the Brassierie for dinner. What a pleasure. We were then ushered to our room, bags carried by our lovely porter. We were booked into the Daffodil Suite.

I had done some research prior to our stay and had noted that some previous residents (who had also taken advantage of the special offer we were using), had complained about their room being on the ground floor with a few of a garden slope! They were not impressed.

We needn’t have worried – we were on the top floor! A huge hallway opened into our room: antique wooden cupboard, a vast writing desk complete with stationery, two armchairs and a side table, a chest of drawers, a TV and DVD player (a choice of DVDs available at any time from the concierge), more drawers, room service condiments, a sewing kit…oh and a four poster!

The bathroom was enormous: two sinks, both complete with divine toiletries, a TV in one corner, a bidet, toilet, roll top bath big enough for two and deep enough to dog paddle, and a wonderful walk in shower – complete with rainbars!

For those not in the know – I had no clue! – rainbars are metal bars that run parallel to your shower wall and shoot water out at right angles. So, not only are you drenched from the top down, your sides get needles of water shooting out or gushing gently – depending on your water pressure preference of course! (PS - did I mention the underfloor heating??)

As we settled in, our porter brought us some refreshments: a china pot of tea – complete with home baked cookies! We cosied up in our armchairs to sip tea, munch cookies and peruse the complimentary magazines…what bliss!

Prior to dinner, we spent a while in the lounge, sipping GnT’s and eating nibbles while reclining on luxurious sofas…we chatted between ourselves before our maitre d’ introduced himself and inquired as to whether we would like to review the menu before heading through to the restaurant…and so we did!

He then returned to take our order…we slowly finished our drinks, and then when we were ready, headed into the classy Brasserie for dinner.

I enjoyed the Avocado and White Lodge Farm bacon with shallot dressing for a starter, while Adrian had the Soy and Honey glazed pork belly, scallops and cauliflower. Our main was fantastic: Ribeye Aberdeen Angus steak, spinach and creamed potatoes for me, and Lambshank with honey roasted root vegetables for Ad. We both shouldn’t – but did – order Chocolate Souffle for dessert.

They do warn you that there is a 20 minute wait for this dessert, but boy was it worth it…Our waiter brought our wonderful treat to us, “opened” up the lid of the fluffy soufflé to let the steam out, poured melted chocolate into the middle and then invited us to add frozen cream when we were ready to eat…I could almost finish mine, but in the end, Ad had to do the honours.

We were invited to retire into the lounge for tea, coffee or after dinner drinks, but it was all we could do to stagger out of the restaurant and head upstairs – so full and replete were we!

Besides, our bath for two beckoned – as did the fluffy robes and four poster!

The following morning – breakfast was served in our room – the only way to have it, and we were able to enjoy it at a leisurely pace: check out was only at 11am.

Next time (and there most certainly will be a next time!) we intend to avail ourselves of the spa facilities, but one night was way too short – we will definitely extend our stay when we next visit!

Comments