15 Main St, Crawfordsburn, County Down, BT19 1JH, United Kingdom
Booking.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

More about The Old Inn Crawfordsburn

Not one to gripe but this time it had to be done!

by TripAdvisor Member Thelittleredcar

Booked this hotel for a special occasion for my husband and myself as we stayed here before.Last time we were a little dissapointed with the size of the room so we decided to push the boat out and book the cottage.On arrival at 2.30 pm we were greeted at reception by a young man who proceeded to take our details , he then he told us that because the cottage had not been used the night before it had to be serviced first and we would have to come back in 1 hour.We decided that we would take a drive around the area and came back at 3.30 to be told that the accomodation still was not ready ,so we waited patiently for another 15 minutes where he then called us to reception and gave us a key.
On opening the door we were delighted with our choice the cottage was delightful beautifully decorated and delightfully warm,the gas fire had been lit for us too creating a welcoming atmosphere. Time to unwind and relax with a nice bath I thought !but no hot water only luke warm and very slow to fill the bath!
So we decided to have a drink at the bar instead , and we then decided to spoil ourselves by handing in our room service for breakfast the following morning to the same young man at reception who dutifully said he would take care of it!

After a relaxing few hours we decided to go for dinner, when we arrived were told that the main dining room was booked until 9o'clock but that we could have a table in the bistro ,as it opened at 7o'clock and they did not take bookings it was a first come basis so we went early ,were told again that we could get a table at the earliest 7.30 so we didnt really mind as it was't too long to wait ,but in about 5 minutes we were seated at our table.Food was good and service efficent but the bistro was busy and it looked if they had squeezed more tables in than usual as the staff kept bumping in to them.
We went back to the cottage after dinner and as no one showed us to the cottage or around neither of us knew how to switch off the gas fire,so someone came and helped us out.
After a nights rest we were looking forward to breakfast in our room 8.30 am arrived and no breakfast! We thought we would give 15 mins extra and then phone reception. On doing so the receptionist said she would chase it up with the kitchen,in 5 minutes she rang back to say that they had misplaced the order!
She took another order and it arrived in 5 minutes.My husband ordered the cooked breakfast which he said was fine,I ordered the croissant and toast to find that the croissant was stale!
Each of us then had a cold shower as again there was no hot water! Why did we come here !
After breakfast it was our initial idea to stay until checkout but we were so dissapointed with everything we decided to check out early.
We filled in the comment card and gave it to reception when we paid our bill, the receptionist read the comments and asked if we wanted to see the manager but we declined she said she would pass the comments on to him we decided at this stage we just would not come back. As we were talking at reception the young man who had dutifully lost our room service breakfast order skulked around the back of reception and then disapeared, without an apology!
We paid our bill which I checked was correct and we were handed a copy which I put in my bag .As were about 10 minutes drive away I decided to pull it out of my back and to my horror I had been given someone elses bill with their full details on it! guess what they had complained too!
Since then I recieved my own bill but have not heard a word from the manager

Fawlty Towers or what!

only ok

by TripAdvisor Member alexandra56

I stayed at the Old Inn as i was attending a wedding reception. I was really looking forward to the whole experience but i felt quite disappointed when i left.

There were a number of glitches which i thought were totally unacceptable. Firstly, in order to recieve a discount for staying in the hotel if you were attending the reception, you had to book your room two months in advance. This of course is quite understandable but the problem was that my friends were not informed of this so they were not able to pass this information onto their guests. This resulted in alot of confusion and frustration for many people on the day when they checked in.

There was confusion about the night time entertainment and the time until which it could continue,because of this, it was cut short and it appeared that no one from the hotel staff had informed anyone that it had to finish by midnight.

They also lost a number of wedding presents which had been entrusted to them.

I was very disappointed with my room. I was booked into a superior room. Though it was quaint, it was very small. It did have a nice shower but it was certainly not worth the 115 pounds which i paid for it.

The fry which was part of the package for staying in the hotel was absolutely terrible. It included one sausage, one piece of bacon, half a tomato, one mushroom chopped up into slices, a tiny piece of potato bread and a miserable crust of soda bread.

I felt that the staff were not up to scratch and at times were rude and quite unhelpful.

Overall, i don't think i would recommend anyone to stay here but i would recommend people to pop in and have a look at the inn if they are driving by Crawfordsburn, as the architecture and layout of the place was very quaint and interesting.

great but very noisy

by TripAdvisor Member DerekCNaplesFlorida

We stayed here at this beautiful hotel for 4 days in July.The room was very nice and cosy,the staff especially the front desk more than excellent.We ate at the hotel 3 times and it was truly exceptional.The only down side to the hotel is that it must be the wedding reception capital of Northern Ireland.Very noisy until all hours every night ,with the festivities right below our window going on until early morning.It was really bad.
I think the hotel should warn people that there are weddings seemingly every night of the year.
Great and wonderful hotel if you need little sleep.

A picturesque but pretentious hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ScotlandTravelbug

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding reception in the hotel. The food was great. The room was clean and tidy. Everything else was disappointing. Customer service very poor. Reception was near to the point of being rude and their attitude stunk. The service was very very slow. You could only get a drink (soft drink) in the bar if you ordered food and it took forever ie over 30mins for a sandwich and even then you had to remind them you were still waiting. They are very popular for weddings but please check where the reception will be held because we ended up downstairs (many stairs) not suitable for the elderly of infirmed. Also, please note that the bar downstairs is more expensive than the bar upstairs. To summarize, we were just another wedding, just another punter, "we've got your money - so we don't need to help you or be friendly". Would I stay there again or recommend it to someone? No.

Don't expect Customer Service or Friendlyness...Slowest in NI

by TripAdvisor Member PSBGlasgow

The Inn is picturesque with nice but quirky rooms. Lots of different levels (i.e. stairs) and winding corridors. Nice car park.
In fact if the place was managed by professionals who understood customer service and satisfaction it would be perfect.
Check in is managed by surly "jobsworths" who won't even allow you to tell them you've arrived or sort out the documentation until after 14:30 on the day you are to stay. So if you're going to a wedding you have to take all your documents and baggage with you.
They even moaned that I wanted to check my 82 year old mother in (she had to be there in person) They made a great effort of writing the door code down for her (at my repeated request) for the disabled room. (This number may not be secure, I advise you to check it's been changed). Also on security, beware of handing your valuables to reception as my mother was handed someone else's wallets etc..
The Bar and Bistro both had good food but having to wait 20 minutes for a cup of tea and over 40minutes for a cheese sandwich is appalling ( even though you have explained in more than one european language that 3 of the guests were diabetic and in a hurry). This was on several occasions so wasn't just a one off incident.
The wedding meal was ok but the service was again brusque. I was on the top table so heaven knows how the rest of the guests felt.
The organisation of wedding facilities for the big day was poor, guests were shunted into corridors etc. whilst the main venue was laboriously re-arranged. I mean what difference does it make if the punters have to stand around for 40minutes in corridors and small excessively overheated public rooms. Please note this hotel does not cater for the disabled. All corridors are multi-level as is the entrance. There are no ramps or disabled toilets, no lifts.
Don't look for assistance with bags or directions around the hotel.
Breakfast was poor in comparison to what you expect from an Ulster fry and you have to battle to get tea, toast or butter. If you want a nice venue (although overpriced) with what must be the slowest service in NI with the worst attitude from staff one could imagine then this is the place for you. And don't miss out on the final grunt you get from the receptionist as you pay and hand over the customer feedback card (don't worry she didn't bother to look at it).
We stayed in Bangor for several days before this and it was fantastic and people in the area are really friendly, don't let the Crawfordburn Inn put you off Northern Ireland.
One final note if you're planning a reception here, the bar prices in the wedding reception are more expensive than in the hotel bar, so don't be surprised if your guests disappear.

Looking forward to staying in the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member fosp

I've visited this site to see what other people's opinions have been of this lovely place and felt honour bound to write a review following the fantastic time we had at a friends wedding earlier this week. Although I live quite near I've never actually visited the hotel but have heard great things and was not dissappointed, we didn't actually stay on this occassion but I am planning to stay with my partner early in the new year to celebrate a special occassion. Overall everything appertaining to the day was excellent, the main thing this place has going for it is the fabulous interiors and very interesting rooms and gardens. Generally the staff were pleasant and helpful, particularly one quite attractive bar steward who managed the bar with great efficiency and ensured everyone was well looked after, sadly the same could not be said for all of her colleagues. The food was very good by wedding standards although I found the service a little brusque. All in all it was a great first experience of the inn and we a re looking forward to returning.

yes indeed ,great food but beware paper thin partitions!

We have eaten here on many a night with friends who live locally and can testify to quality of food and ambiance of Inn. Lovely character to whole building and will return again to dine .However our experience would be to avoid the main Hotel dining room and dine instead in bar/lounge area.We had dinner on our 2nd night in Hotel and were not overly impressed with either staff nor the service compared to lounge areas.We were not approached once during any of our courses to see if everything was to our satisfaction etc which is very poor customer care considering cost of meal etc.

However the accommodation side is indeed another matter.We decided to book in for 2 nights and because of influence of our friends we were given the Honeymoon cottage for our 1st night.A really beautiful place just behind Hotel and out on its own ensuring absolute privacy and -so we though- peace and quiet.But this unfortunately came to abrupt end at about 5 am when I was woken by what i thought was the local train pulling in to station! I got up to look out window to discover that it was in fact deliveries coming into store rooms just beyond cottage on trollies that were the cause behind the racket. So end of sleep but at least it helped us to get up early,(may as well look on bright side!).

So after breakfast we decamped and left luggage to be placed in room within hotel for our return later.On returning we were given the 'Ballymullen Room'. Now we fully understood the age of hotel and history etc but we were very miffed when we saw size of bedroom on entering.Really small with a very gaudy rose patterned decor that gave a very cheap feel to room- not that it was in any way cheap! Anyways we decided to just enjoy and get on with things. However , late at night the room showed us a big surprise by us being woken by someone talking! No ,not a ghost but we could clearly hear someone talking behind our bedroom wall in other bedroom. What was disturbing was it was not loud talk but more of a low tone which you would use in a room with a few other people inside where the conversation would be low key etc. Anyways we cringed to be able to hear this couple 'get it on' oblivious to the world as to what they they were doing in supposed privacy.So night 2 gone West as regards sleep!

We did talk to the duty manager about our stay and told him our saga.We were not looking for compensation and told him so before we shared our experience with him.Incredibly he still took the line of 'not possible in OUR hotel ..' until I challenged him to contact the couple in other bedroom ,whose 1st names we were well acquainted with after their night of 'Amour'!

He backed off a little with this but it really was a lost cause as regards customer care.He took our details with a promise to pass on our observations etc and that we would hear from them.Regretfully we never did , so a nights stay in the Inn will not be a repeat occurance regardless of circumstances.

So if thinking of staying there, be careful in some of the rooms as regards privacy , especially the 'Ballymullen' and its neighbour!

A disasterous day, the staff and owners should be ashamed of themselves

by TripAdvisor Member Lauracodown

I have never been so upset and angry as I was just 2 days ago. Your wedding day is supposed to be the happiest day of your life not one which you walk about the hotel in your wedding dress complaining to staff due to the fact that you have tripped off dust sheets as you walk to the honeymoon suit, had to rearrange your reception room and send 11 of your guests home extremely angry because they have got wet gloss paint on their outfits. As I walked into the reception room just 2 hours before we were to dine to be greated by an the over welming fumes of paint and a man using a roller to paint the ceiling I am lost for words and shocked. Bride, bridesmaid, page boy and 11 guests by the end of the meal are covered in yellow gloss paint and still only apologies are the hotels compensation.
A resisdents bar is offered until 2am and as the reception finishes just gone 1am more guests leave which in turn leave the bridal party along with friends on the terrace outside to reminice and chat about the day. We are then rudely interupted by a man who claims to be the night manager who storms out and using inappropriate and vulgar swear words, threatens to call the police if we are not quiet. No warning had been given and as we then find out after speaking to the owner the same man has given a false identity and turns out to be a night porter and our story is not believed.
Staff in this hotel are supposed to be there to make their customers stay as comfortable and memorable as possible not to upset them and ruin their special day, no compensation has been offered and for me this shows a staff and owner which thinks nothing of hurting and destroying their own reputation.
No amount of money can compensate and enable you to forget the fact that this hotel was the cause of ruining a bride and grooms once in a life time day.

arrogant banqueting manager

by TripAdvisor Member ken65

i was a guest at a wedding at the old inn in august this year. the food at the wedding reception was of a high standard and the girl serving our table was friendly and polite and certainly knew her job. however after serving the main course of the meal the banqueting manager approached her as she was leaving our table and spoke to her in the most ignorant manner in front of us.
the waitress was clearly upset and embarassed especially as the remarks were made in front of myself and other guests. i asked the waitress for her name and that of the banqueting manager and wrote a letter of complaint to the hotel for which i am still awaiting a reply.
all i can say is that if the man had of spoken to me like he did to the waitress i would have told him what he could do with his job.
clearly someone should teach the banqueting manager some manners as his leave a lot to be desired

Great Food but noisy

by TripAdvisor Member RedroseUk

Food out of this world! Stay not so good as a wedding on each night we stayed and the music played loud until 1am. we were so disappointed.

Comments