Hillway Road, Bembridge, PO35 5PL, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

More about Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park

The Good, The Bad and the cheap

by TripAdvisor Member mr_kgb

Going into Whitecliff Bay holiday park always reminds me of Hi-de-Hi holiday camp.
The chalets have seen better days and it does seem they were decorated some time back in 1973 (a lot brown patterned fabric). But they are clean on the whole and everything works ie cookers, fridges ect.
The staff are friendly and are very cheerful and they do provide good early evening entertainment for the children.
I’m not a big fan of the on site food, a carvery which is on par with the worst that Beef Eater has to offer or it’s a take-away chipy/pizza place which is like a lot of seaside food outlets. Not to be eaten at unless you are starving.
But and this is a big but. It’s Cheap.
So unit my daughter gets bored with Humphrey bear I will be going back there.

Country & Western Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member CowpokeSouthampton

I have been coming to this camp for the last 22 years for the Country & Western holiday, always in May and in resent years September as well where we meet many friends year in, year out.
It has always been a great atmosphere with lots of thing to do and a great staging post to go off for the day to view the island.
This year we had news of new owners taking over the camp with rumours of every thing changing.
Good news came during the week that this is not so, for 2008 and 2009, (country & western weeks).
For the 22 years I have been going to Whitecliffe Bay I must agree that the camp has not changed very much and I can see with the new owners this will change for the good if Whitecliffe bay is going to survive, all fingers crossed.
There seems to be a big drive by the new owners to bring in more caravan holiday homes for people to buy where they would be rented out by the camp with the owners concent and having stayed in some of the old chalets I can see them being replaced with caravan holiday homes as well, within the next 5 years.
It is good also that most of the regular staff are still their with the usual happy family atmosphere as always and my family and I look foreward in coming to Whitecliffe Bay Holiday park for many years to come.

Great time at this site

by TripAdvisor Member DeanoWales_Uk

Have just come back from a very satisfying week at this holiday park. It was a trip down memory lane for myself as I spent many a summer two week stay at this site . Firstly we only paid £140 for a Sun to Sun stay with two kids inclusive of ferry crossing . We took my daughters friend as it was her birthday whilst we were there . We had a great pitch which was pretty flat with an electric hook up , Something we aren't usually used to but used to the full . The shower block were on the whole clean and you didn't have to wait too long if at all to have one . We were privvy to people complaining about the grass and mud in these areas but to be honeest this is down to people not bothering to whipe their shoes before entering especially after rain . A forth bridge job (Start at one end , as you get to the other it is time to go back ). Some people just cannot help themselves . The two grocery shops were NOT over priced and were a reflection of what you would normally pay on average in most supermarkets . We did not feel ripped off which can sometimes happen. The facillities eg the club house is a little dated and needs a face lift but I wouldn't let it put you off . All of the staff we encountered from janitors to security always had a smile an was friendly . The pool is pretty small indoors and a deep breath is required before you enter as sometimes the temprature varies if you know what I mean . The food served in the bars and the clubhouse are enjoyable with a varied menue for most tasts . As in most cases where you get you head down is only a part of it , The Island is a fantastic place and is easy to get around if you drive . Great for the kids are places such as Blackgang Chine , The Needles , Robin Hill but to name a few . One place deserves a special mention is the Lifeboat Restraunt in Bembridge . Great food well presented great views accross the water . My PERSONAL advice for the price for what we paid I want a weeks camping next year .

Great 'Romantic' Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member rachchrisarnott

Date: 27/06/08 - 07/07/08

We've just got back from a great holiday on the Isle of Wight. We stayed at Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park's campsite for the ten nights for our first real holiday/get away together.

We loved the island itself, thankfully the weather was gorgeous which always helps! We did find that towards the end of our holiday we had pretty much exhausted everything that could be done on the island.

We both really liked the campsite, it was mostly clean and the other campers we respectful regarding noise levels. I did find that one set of showers had lots of cobwebs and spiders above the showers which really put me off but there was a much nicer block close by. I did find it strange that the womens' shower blocks didn't have hairdryers and yet the mens' did, so if you do go get an electric pitch and take your own hairdryer.

Although we didn't really want to go much anyway, the beach was quite a walk a way - it looked much closer on the website! Saying that, it was well worth the short trek.

If we were to go back to the Isle of Wight again, we would probably stay around Shanklin or somewhere further South West as we found that these areas by the sea seemed less 'Blackpool' compared to areas such as Sandown.

Isle love Wight

by TripAdvisor Member Skelsy

I have been going to this campsite every year for the past eight years or so and have loved it every time!! We stayed in the log cabins on the front with the view of the sea which is always nice!
This year the camp had been taken over, which really wasnt a good thing, they've gotten rid of Les the entertainment guy who everybody loved! Also everywhere you go they are trying to sell you a caravan! So annoying!
Other than that we had a pretty good time as usual, the facilities are good and theres always plenty to do on the island (even when the weather is bad). I recomend anyone looking to have a good meal to go to the seaview hotel in seaview, the food and the srvice there was fantastic! Another good place to eat is the pilot boat inn in Bembridge harboour. Both of these restaurants are not far from White Cliff Bay holiday park and well worth paying a visit too!

not happy

by TripAdvisor Member maxwelldorset

from the moment we arrived we realised how unkept it looked. We were unable to check in until 5.30pm due to the chalets not being ready. Once in we couldn't believe our eyes or noses. The room had a strange smell very musty, and the beds and bedding were old and didn't look clean. The whole place needs to be updated. The only good thing was the childrens entertainment, the staff tried really hard.
We didn't stay there and booked ourselves into a hotel.
I would not recommend this park to anyone.

First trip to the IOW, but certainly not the last!

by TripAdvisor Member 01voyager

We (me, hubby and 5 yr old son), have just arrived back from a week camping at Whitecliff Bay holiday park, and I can honestly say that we have had a brilliant time. After reading several not so good reviews about this park before we left I was really apprehensive about our stay, thankfully i neednt have been, we had no problems what so ever.

We knew that the park was split by a main road, seperating the camping and chalets as we had looked at the site map on the web when booking. Although i can appreciate that this may be a problem for some, it didn't affect us at all, infact, we prefferred not having the noise and crowds around in the evenings. We did go to the club a couple of times for my son to see Humphry Bear who he adored, but didn't stay for the adults entertainment, so i cant really comment on its calibre. The childrens entertainment team though were really friendly and all the kids loved them.

The pools were warm and clean, although the indoor pool did feel a little claustaphobic when it was busy due to it being quite small. The lifeguards were excellent and really kept an eye out for young children without adult supervision (of which there were a few). The outdoor pool was heated and whilst in there i abserved a member of staff making sure all the sunloungers were clean before anyone left their towles on them, this may sound silly, but its the little things that count.

The beach was fantastic. It helped that we had good weather most of our stay, but we managed a couple of mornings on the beach, in the sea and in the rock pools. The trek back up to the park is a steep one, but just think of the calories you'll be burning up!

Accomadation: We camped on the centre field and found that the pitches were extremely large and flat, the toilet and shower blocks were cleaned several times a day but could get very busy as the residents of the 'doggie' field had to use them too. We generally used the shower block in the first field which took an extra minute to walk to, but was much less busy. the only down side of the accomadation is that there was no open space for the kids to play games, there was ample room on the pitch for small games, but on other sites we have used, there seemed more room for games like cricket and football etc...after seeing the chalets on the other side of the park i can understand some of the poor reviews i read before our holiday. From the outside they looked extremely dated, and after having a nose through an open door of one as we walked past, i'm glad we took our tent. Compared to what i saw, our tent was 5 star luxury.

All in all our experience at Whitecliff Bay was a good one, and i would come back to this site. Our holiday on the island ws fantastic, there is so much to do, we were out every day and still didn't manage to see and do everything, but as we have already decided that we are coming back next year, there'll plenty to keep us occupied!

Wonderful caravan!

by TripAdvisor Member Shortcake

I noticed most of the reviews seemed to be about the chalets, so thought I'd share our very positive static caravan experience at Whitecliff Bay (first time we've been there).

We stayed in a static caravan in August 08, we were a bit worried as to what we would get as they all seemed to be one grade, but we needn't to have worried, the one we had was really nice, and very clean. It seemed huge compared to the statics we have ever stayed in before! The bathroom (with separate shower cubicle AND a bath!) was big enough to be a 3rd bedroom, AND it had a 2nd loo/washroom!. Plenty of living space. Only problem we had was that the toaster blew the electric & it had to be re-set.

We used the outdoor pool, which was lovely. There is a large pool and a toddler pool, both of which were very warm once you were in! The lifeguards were very insistent that all children were accompanied in the water by an adult swimmer (parents couldn't just sit on the side, fully dressed, and spectate). They were VERY vigilant and there were at least 2 lifeguards on all the time. You didn't have to get the wristbands (that they mention) from the coffee bar, we showed our entertainment passes the first time, after that they remembered us.

Evening entertainment was the usual childrens entertainment early evening, then magic or comedian, then disco. Was ok for families.

We can thoroughly recommend Whitecliff Bay as a base to explore the rest of the island (although the initial welcome at reception could have been more cheerful!!) and wouldn't hesitate to stay in a caravan there again.

Very Dated

by TripAdvisor Member AliceHastings

We recently stayed at the holiday park in a chalet. Could not believe chalets like this still existed. It was run down, old miss-matched furniture and carpets, no shower or even detachable shower head, one raditator for the whole place, it was always freezing! Also a musty smell throughout the place.
I would go back to the Isle of Wight, but not the holiday park.

cheap and cheerfull

by TripAdvisor Member thefamilydocs

it was thursday evening and the long boring weekend was looming so i though how about getting away for the weekend with hubby and bored child, so up came this holiday park cheap as chips with the ferry thrown in too! we never been to isle of wight so i thought why not, i booked it and we was to leave the next day... hubby and bored child was moaning that they couldnt be botherd to go but it was too late i had pressed the submit button .as soon as we got to the ferry port hubby and bored child started to perk up and as soon as we were on the ferry there was excited faces all round...incuding me! it was a lovely crossing, calm and warm, and as soon as we drove off the ferry we was all in jolly moods looking forward to this holiday break.when we pulled up into whitecliff bay, yes it was very old fashioned,but the staff were freindly and welcoming, so we collected the key to our two bedroom chalet. it was very basic and there was no plugs anywhere in the bedrooms, oh my god where do i plug my hair straightners! well i had to use the plug in the kitchen. anyway after giving up trying to tune in the mini tv,and running the taps trying to get hot water! we went to checkout the site and complain about the lack of hot water and an enginer came very promp and fixed it. we went to find the entertainment and there was kids dancing with humphry bear in the family bar, well that was it, my excited child was off and joined in. everything was great till the inhome band came on and murdered every song she sang (sorry luv) but the hubby enjoyed his couple of pints and we went back to the chalet tired. but did i sleep! not a chance...the beds were lumpy and i had all the spare covers on and i was still freezing.in the morning we went swimming in the empty pool it was lovly warm and peacefull. that nite we went to the family bar and there was a halloween party in full swing, my excited child was in heaven, and everyone enjoyed the party, that evening i had to sleep in the other bedroom as it was slightly warmer, but with a lumpier mattress! the next morning we went for a cooked breakfast in the naff bar, we was pleasently surprised how nice it was, it wasnt a greasy fryup at all and we enjoyed it and it was great value. we went to explore the beautiful beach and had a lovely day. my child was looking forward to the evening disco again with humphry bear and me and hubby sat and watched a comedien (very clean)on the last day we had breakfast at the beach cafe and got half price icecreams, my child was sad to leave humphry bear and said mum i want to come here again next year i love it! to my child that short break was the best time she had ever had, she was allowed to stay up late every nite and party with a bear! ! and it was worth the little lack of comfort and plug sockets and tv just to see that shining smiling face. some kids like the simple things in life, so if you are a family looking for a cheap and cheerfull place to go and dont expect all mod cons, then maybe check out this place.

Comments